-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Out of curiosity I purchased a box about 1-1/2 years ago. Cut the plastic seal and shot some today. First thing I noticed was that all of the bullets were oxidized. Crimps were loosey goosey. 3 FTF out of 15 rounds but they fired after being reloaded. The firing pin strike for the gun is strong. Accuracy was fair at best. ~3/4” at 20 yards for 5 shots.

If I read the label correctly the lot # is B761BA.

Won’t be going down that road again.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Similar thing happened to me. They may be good, but SK match rifle shoots better in my rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's weird. I've had pretty good luck with it. Even stuff from a few years back. Weird that it is oxidized. Was it lubed? I'll blame my poor shooting in the precision rimfire shoot on that crap ammo.. Ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I bought a brick of eley target and one of Club probably 7 years ago thinking it was top tier Ammo, which ended up not being the case.

DD- what Ammo was shot in the rifle before shooting the eley target? Because of eleys paraffin based bullet lube, I find it takes more rounds for the Ammo to settle in than when switching between similarly lubed bullets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guys the price of the ammo doesn’t matter. All that matters is does your rifle like it.
I spent a lot of money going to school on 22 rifles. Still have a lot to learn.
First pretty good 22 I bought , I also bought 7 or 8 different brands of match ammo.
Went to the range and tried one right after the other. No one ever mentioned seasoning a barrel. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
There was no obvious lube on the bullets and when I said oxidized earlier my characterization is “severely”.

My preferred is SK Standard + and Wolf MT that was made by SK. The bricks of Wolf are 10 years old or more and still have the greasy lube w/o any oxidation. They shoot superbly from all of my LR chambered rifles.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Are you able to share a pic of the oxidation? Any idea Based on the lot number when it was produced?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Lot # posted in my first post. I have lubed the remaining ammo with NASA lube and photos would be pointless. The appearance was that of a nearly white powdery finish with a coarse texture.

I am..........disturbed.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had some tenex that had its lube turn somewhat white and crackly. Wasn’t old or stored poorly either.

Odd.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Found some of the Eley at a gun show that looked like Dan described. It was cheap enough, but the dried and oxidized lead made me reconsider and I left it on the table....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B3

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I have some RWS Subsonic I purchased in the late 70's that still shoots as well now as it did then. The lube is now a powdery white but it hasn't hurt the accuracy. In fact, it shoots as well as the newer RWS Subs.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It's not really what you want to see, especially not in expensive ammo.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Had the same thing happen with a old box of Remington/Eley. The white powder substance won't allow them to even chamber in my Bergara.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
About 3 years ago a big sports store had Target on sale at a ridiculous price. I picked up 2k thinking this would be great in my 513T and 455 Varmint. It wasn't. Nothing is as good as SK in them. It functions well though and the lube is good. I will chip away at it. If I don't use it up my son will.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Cheap grades of Eley aren't any better than cheap grades of anything else. Where Eley shines is in their steely-eyed QC standards employed in the making of their high grade stuff.

I was gifted a brick of Federal Gold Ultra Match (OM-1) from maybe 20 years ago, along with a brick of ancient Eley Tenex (still in cardboard boxes). The lube on both bricks of bullets had dried up, and looked for all the world like oxidation. Undaunted, I shot it all up out of a bunch of different target rifles and it performed beautifully, as one would expect of that stuff. Nothing untoward happened inside any of the barrels either.

I would sell my soul for another stash of that Federal OM-1 ammo. Why oh why did they ever stop making it?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I just took a look at a few open boxes of Remington marked Eley Target Rifle and Club, doesn’t have any of the powdery stuff on the bullets. Must be at least 10 years old.

I bought a few bricks of the WW SS HP made in Australia and it looks a little oxidized but not much.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

534 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 43 invisible), 1,893 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,234
Posts18,447,765
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.