Print Thread
Hop To
R
richj Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Has anyone rebarreled their 527 to a faster twist.

I got mine before CZ-USA was up and running. I'd say about 1996-ish.

caliber would help. this is a .223

Last edited by richj; 10/09/21.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I bought my first CZ 527 chambered in 223 at about the same time you did, it has a 1-12" twist barrel. I was thinking about re barreling but this rifle shoots so good that I just bought a new rifle instead with the 1-9" twist

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The CZ is far more useful in 223 with the 1-12 barrel on it. If you want to build a LONG range rig build it on a action more suited to the work.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
R
richj Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I agree. I'm going to start reloading, I have a ton of 52,55gr bullets

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have re-barreled one CZ 527 though with a different purpose than yours. Should you decide to move forward with this Id consider Pacnor barrels. In my case I have wanted a fast twist 6mm PPC type rifle on a CZ 527 action. When the 6mm ARC came out & I had a 7.62 x 39 action on hand (same case head) purchased just for this task, Well Pacnor was the outfit that I have been aware of that catered to this type of job.

Let's start off with removal of your existing barrel may be the worst part of the job. My research suggested the barrel removal in all likelihood may be a real PIA & boy howdy those boys were right. Since removing the 7.62x39 barrel I have done two separate drop in barrels for that action. 1st was a 6.5mm Grendel & 2nd was a 6mm ARC. both worked out well & my favorite at the moment is the 6mm ARC. Why you may ask. Well I requested the Super match barrel which to me boils down to the barrel is very easy to clean

In your case Id give the 223 wild a serious bit of consideration. fairly sure you would come away with no regrets.

send me a PM if you would like to know more ill see what I may offer. better yet give Pacnor a call & see what they have to offer

https://pac-nor.com/pricelist/

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by richj
I agree. I'm going to start reloading, I have a ton of 52,55gr bullets

If you are planning to shoot the 52/55 gr bullst you have then don't bother rebarreling to a faster twist, they will work just fine.

Something else to consider - at the cost of a new barrel and the gunsmithing required to install it you can likely buy a new rifle already twisted faster.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Custom lapped barrel and factory barrels not in same ball park. You are likely looking at are very unlikely to be close to comparable. My barrel & every barrel I have read about has left the buyer very satisfied. Call me lucky or what have you. I have purchased two drop in barrels for CZ 527's in 6.5 Grendel and 6mm Arc & both head spaced at .004" off go gauge in each case. I have an extensive machining back ground so the barrel swap is well within my skill set. Your milage may differ.

If you are, needing a gunsmith - you may wish to inquire about Pacnor doing the works for you.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 10/11/21.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Contact James Calhoon, he sells takeoffs for $125.00, might have a 1-9.

http://jamescalhoon.com/

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked up a 1-9 takeoff in the classifies several years back. Rebarreled and punched mine to AI.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a 527 American that I bought and orginally it came with a 12 twist barrel in 223. My goal with that rifle was to shoot it like crazy as something cheap to shoot to practice with, and for my daughter to learn on. Basically the goal was to shoot the barrel out of it between the two of us. Which we did. I shot it quite a bit calling coyotes as well, and my daughter shot deer with it. Later on I decided that I wished it had a faster twist so it would handle mid-weight deer bullets better that the 12 twist, which the 12 was limited in that aspect.

I contacted James Calhoon and he put me on the wait list for a takeoff barrel. It took several months but one evening he called me and asked if I still wanted one, and I took it ($125). It was a brand new takeoff. It sat on the shelf a few years in my shop until the old barrel was finally toast. Last year I broke it down and swapped the barrel myself. I barely touched up the action to true it in the lathe, same on the barrel face. Screwed it on and headspace was perfect. Just the way I like it, just a hair on the tight side. I pulled the barrel back off and indicated the muzzle in on the lathe and threaded it 1/2x28 for my 556 suppressor (Specwar 556 K).

I have to say the old barrel always shot pretty good. But that new 9 twist I got from James has been amazing. I have custom barrels that shoot that good but I think it is probably the most accurate factory barrel I have ever owned. It will shoot pretty much anything I put through it 1/2 MOA or better. 50 Blitzkings are consistent in the .2-.3 range. 55 TTSX are solid 1/2 MOA. I use it for vermin and coyote work at night with thermal.

For a $125 barrel and a home swap job I could not be happier.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,123
Posts18,464,608
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.