Print Thread
Hop To
M
MLC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Can someone recommend a reasonable price thermal scope for a .22 ?

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tagged. Been thinking about a Sightmark Wraith for a 17 HMR.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I’ve got a Wraith. Decent cheap digital night vision. The included illuminator is good out to about 150-200 yards. It’s NOT thermal, though......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I’ve got a Wraith. Decent cheap digital night vision. The included illuminator is good out to about 150-200 yards. It’s NOT thermal, though......

👍

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
What’s your definition of ‘reasonable’?

I don’t think I’d be happy with any of the offerings under $1750-$2k, and I’d probably start here for a rimfire:

https://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/t...25mm-ultra-compact-thermal-weapon-sight/

The AGM Rattler is a shade more $, but in the same realm. Much under that, and you get into too much lower resolution, small objectives/collectors, slower refresh rates, silicon instead of Vanadium, and pp greater than 17…..which is hard to see detail much past 50 yards if there’s any humidity.

The lower end NV scopes just piss me off after using higher end stuff and thermals. Anything that requires an IR emitter just to see 100 yards under full moonlight, is maddening.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 10/11/21.
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Are you looking for a thermal scope? or night vision? It is not the same thing.

Sightmark Wraith is a digital night vision scope, not thermal.

ILya

M
MLC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Rockinbbar recommended looking at this one. Looks pretty good , has no video but I don’t need it.

Bering Hogster Stimulus. They are $1495. Probably the best entry level scope out there.

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/produ...ermal-rifle-scope?variant=39335568801866

Last edited by MLC; 10/11/21.

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
M
MLC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by koshkin
Are you looking for a thermal scope? or night vision? It is not the same thing.

Sightmark Wraith is a digital night vision scope, not thermal.

ILya

I guess I looking for more night vision for some critters at night.

Winston Church
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If you are looking for warm blooded critters, thermal is a better bet.

If you are looking for better view of the scenery at night, go with night vision.

ILya

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What is reasonably priced? The lowest priced Pulsar Thermal rifle scope is around $2,300 which is the Thermion XM30 and goes all the way up to $6,000 with the Thermion XG50. The Thermion XM30 will be a great unit for the $2,300 if shooting around that 100 yard range and below. If willing to spend more, each unit above in price has certain features and better sensors that make the price go up. It would be our pleasure to discuss this with you

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually figured this thread might gain more attention.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MLC
Rockinbbar recommended looking at this one. Looks pretty good , has no video but I don’t need it.

Bering Hogster Stimulus. They are $1495. Probably the best entry level scope out there.

For $500 more, I'd likely lean AGM Rattler TS25-384 Compact over the Bering Hogster Stimulus.

Thermal resolution:
384 × 288 vs. 256x192 (Stimulus)

Refresh rate (when scanning/moving the optic):
50mh vs 30mh (Stimulus)

There are no free lunches in this game. Everything comes at a cost. frown

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MLC

I recall RBBR's thread...
that was the best real world review I have seen..
I dont know if FLiR does anything with hunting scopes but the do some good thermal camera work.. (Teledyne Technologies bought them in the past few months.)

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
For $500 more than a Stimulus, there’s the Hogster R, and while the AGM is good for the $, I didn’t think it beat out the regular Hogster for resolution…..but I only looked through each for a short time when comparing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
For $500 more than a Stimulus, there’s the Hogster R, and while the AGM is good for the $, I didn’t think it beat out the regular Hogster for resolution…..but I only looked through each for a short time when comparing.

Yeah, that's a great choice too. My coyote hunting partner uses the Hogster R 35mm for a spotter (and backup scope).
But even the 25mm is a couple hundred more than the AGM.

WWP53D
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The AGMs are for sure good deals. I don’t think there’d be anything but satisfaction with the Rattlers, from what I saw. I was impressed with those vs other names/models costing a good bit more, much like the Bering stuff. Personal choice based on my opinions was just to lean at the Bering stuff a bit more, but I’d take either over anything else under $4k, that I know of.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Nightvision, I use the ATN 4K pro. with an infrared illuminator. Great for setting up on a tripod, and aiming at a fixed locations. For scanning or shooting critters on the run, it sux. Love the fact that one can stream video to either an I phone or a tablet. I shoot hogs and varmints that come in to a location. I can set up a rifle on my Bog Pod Death Grip tripod, sit and play on my Iphone and stream the feed from the scope to the tablet and do not have to keep my eye to the scope. when a hoglet/fox/coyote comes into view, it's curtains!

My first thermal was the Flir PTS 233. OK but native maginification is 1x. Not so good for 100 yds. plus.

Recently purchased the SuperHogster. Very impressed. Native magnification is 2.9X. I usually shoot 100 yds and under. Works for me. Couple guides I know use the SuperHogster for their night time hog hunts also.

I'm not particularly intrested in publishing you tube vids of my hunts. Mainly interested in killing stuff. Biggest negative is that the Superhogster only has an app for Android (unless something has changed).

My son got the latest edition of the Rattler. He likes it

Both the SuperHogster and Rattler are +/- $3,200.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 10/14/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by geedubya
Nightvision, I use the ATN 4K pro. with an infrared illuminator. Great for setting up on a tripod, and aiming at a fixed locations. For scanning or shooting critters on the run, it sux. Love the fact that one can stream video to either an I phone or a tablet. I shoot hogs and varmints that come in to a location. I can set up a rifle on my Bog Pod Death Grip tripod, sit and play on my Iphone and stream the feed from the scope to the tablet and do not have to keep my eye to the scope. when a hoglet/fox/coyote comes into view, it's curtains!

My first thermal was the Flir PTS 233. OK but native maginification is 1x. Not so good for 100 yds. plus.

Recently purchased the SuperHogster. Very impressed. Native magnification is 2.9X. I usually shoot 100 yds and under. Works for me. Couple guides I know use the SuperHogster for their night time hog hunts also.

I'm not particularly intrested in publishing you tube vids of my hunts. Mainly interested in killing stuff. Biggest negative is that the Superhogster only has an app for Android (unless something has changed).

My son got the latest edition of the Rattler. He likes it

Both the SuperHogster and Rattler are +/- $3,200.

ya!

GWB

I just record video on the scope with the Super Hogster. Not that interested in the audio, so I'm happy.

The Rattlers and Hogster lines are made by the same factory overseas. Good scopes for the money. smile

Fixing to get both my SH's warmed up for a few months of hunting now that cooler weather is in sight..

What you see through the scope is clearer than what records on the video you take. I also don't get obsessive about the focus. I try and focus for about 100 yards, and anything closer or further may be slightly out of focus, but clear enough to kill.

This hog was past 150 yards, and you can tell I'm out of focus a bit, but had no trouble making the shot.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Went back and took a look.

Found this on how to upload/download pix and vids from the SuperHogster to Mac.

Cistern @ +/-120 yds., Native Magnification (2.9X)

Same @ 2Xmaginification (5.8X)

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 10/15/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 52 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,241
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.