24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gun/cartridge combos that don’t kick the snot out of you are more popular with younger generations for a reason. My observation is that 9 out of 10 kids these days can’t hit anything anyway, so they keep the pain at bay and buy a lot of ammo for their splattermatics.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

BP-B6

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Gun/cartridge combos that don’t kick the snot out of you are more popular with younger generations for a reason. My observation is that 9 out of 10 kids these days can’t hit anything anyway, so they keep the pain at bay and buy a lot of ammo for their splattermatics.

Can't find the LIKE button dammit. . .

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
. . .can’t hit anything anyway. . . .

I was going to add that many don't know how to
tell that there's a dead deer laying 10 yards away
from where it was standing when it was shot.
If it doesn't do 4 somersaults at the shot, a large
majority of people don't go and make an honest
effort to look

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Maybe if they would quit making so many new ones, they could make some of the old ones for the rest of us. smile

Every store around here has a stack of 350 Legend, but I've never seen a rifle for sale.

Bruce

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Ranger99
. . .can’t hit anything anyway. . . .

I was going to add that many don't know how to
tell that there's a dead deer laying 10 yards away
from where it was standing when it was shot.
If it doesn't do 4 somersaults at the shot, a large
majority of people don't go and make an honest
effort to look

Their parents must’ve been piss poor teachers.

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of the really effective hunting cartridges have been on the 30-06 case. That includes
the 270, 30-06, 338-06 and 35 Whelen.
I own all of those in pre-64 Model 70 Winchesters. No need for any more rifles.

For long range, the 338 Winchester, 300 and 340 Weatherby cartridges can do the rest.
Last but far from least are the 375 H&H Magnum and the 348 WCF.

Since I really enjoy stalk or still hunting, most elk , deer, and moose have been shot under 110 yards.

The price that good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled
by evil men." Plato

Election fraud is a violation of the Civil Rights Act-

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TATELAW
I got into deer hunting about 2007 and joined this forum in 2010, so my rifle experience is a good bit shorter than many on here.

So my question. Is all the new cartridges coming out a normal thing? It seems like they're everywhere. The new Noslers, 6.8 Western, PRCs, etc. Throughout rifle history, have this many new cartridges come along every few years and then just died out? Or is this a relatively new trend?

Yes! Some are actually an improvement over something in existence! However, I think that mostly are purely “market hype” to draw in those that must have the latest “ smoke, mirrors, and fluff”! They thrive on attention, needing to be the first in their hunting/shooting circles! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
In the practical world, the 223, 243, 270, 30-30, 308, 30-06 still do it all.

I don't own a 6.5 Creedmoor, but it seems like one of the more practical developments to come along in recent times.

New offerings keep it interesting. For the competition shooters and specialty shooters, the 'improved' ballistics are a big deal. For most shooters and hunters, the difference is of no consequence.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by johnw
And far be it from popular gun writers to stir the pot. Swedish Mausers lived in wooden barrels at the back wall of gun shops for most of my lifetime...

Edit; Stirring that pot really got some things cooking

Remember, "No 6.5mm cartridge will ever make it in the U.S."?

I remember that and the statement that metric cartridges wouldn't be popular in the US. Oddly, most people refer to .243 cartridges as 6mms, and of course we have 7mms and 9.3s that for some reason, caught on too.

Early in my military career, we were taught several things happened that caused calibre reductions in military arms. Military developments influence civilian cartridge and firearms designs.

The first was that more people moved into cities, which meant fewer people were shooting. This migration started a long time ago. Since the younger city kids weren't shooting as much as their parents, they made cartridges smaller, with less recoil. The rifles were shortened and lightened up to make them less unwieldy. 50 cal to 45 to 30 to 224 in the US. This made them easier to control.

It was easier for young men with little or no shootng experience to be trained and become proficient with cartridges like the 303 British, 7.6x51mm and the 5.56.

Originally Posted by bcp
Maybe if they would quit making so many new ones, they could make some of the old ones for the rest of us. smile

Every store around here has a stack of 350 Legend, but I've never seen a rifle for sale.

Bruce

I wish that they would take some of the older cartridges and re-work them or the rifles that fire them. Many cartridges can be made better or more useful by offering a faster twist. Consider the 22-250. Savage tossed the 1 in 14 twist barrels and increased the twist to 1 in 12. The 222 Remington is made with 1 in 14 twist. With a 1 in 12 twist, they could reliably shoot 60 grain bullets. I rebarreled a 225 Winchester with a 1 in 9 barrel so it could use heavier bullets. There are other examples.

Advances in powder technology greatly improved usability of older cartridges like the 22 Hornet for example.

I suppose the only caveat is that people don't like rimmed cartridges any longer. And a growing segment of shooters want supercharged firepower and complex optics. Optics that I would suggest they cannot use properly, but they are cool.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The reason that we have new cartridges is that, for the western hunter, many old cartridges are [bleep]. A .30 Nosler fits in exactly the same rifles as a .30-06, but substantially extends the ranges at which game can ethically be hunted.

New cartridges are generally caused by one of the following:
Moving to a shorter action or replacing a cartridge that was designed for an odd size intermediate action for which good actions are not available
Moving off an incorrectly chosen slow twist to a correct fast twist
Removing a counterproductive belt
Cartridge shoulder/taper improvement giving better performance for less recoil
Fixing an OAL, shoulder position, or throating problem
Complying with specific state hunting regulations

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 10/16/21.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not only has there been a wide assortment of new chamberings fueling new sales, but the types of guns and scopes being sold now are nothing like they sold 30 or 40 yrs ago.

Package a funky new cartridge into a tactical LR rifle with a hubble sized scope on top just like the ones the kids used on PS3 and now you've made a sale.

No new shooters want a 7600 with a 3x9 in 30-06 like their dad used anymore ...... BORING!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How's that 300 RCM working out? That's not funny...
Oh, you're looking for 308 Marlin Express ammo, I see.
Did I find any 243 WSSM ammo at Walmart? Uh, no.
How about 24 Valk hunting rounds?
Nope, I was checking for 28 Nosler reduced recoil....
I saw some 505 Gibbs the other day for $286/10....

I've taken the standards route mostly, and think 6.5 Creed is here to stay. Component availability is definately a factor. Standard hunting rifles are more represented on the shelves than some would make it seem. Great varieties of hunting rifles now, for plenty of money.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A fellow I work with likes to buy the biggest, newest, coolest, most expensive stuff out there so he can brag about it. He recently bought a brand new Browning X-Bolt (with huge scope) in 6.8 Western and was extolling it's virtues to me. He is not a handloader. You cannot buy ammo for it in this province or even hope to buy proper LR bullets for it in Canada these days. He searched the entire country and finally found ammo for it out west and payed through the nose for it.

For his hunting, a plain old 308, 270 or 30-06 would have served him better with a whole lot less hassle.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

I've taken the standards route mostly, and think 6.5 Creed is here to stay. Component availability is definately a factor. Standard hunting rifles are more represented on the shelves than some would make it seem. Great varieties of hunting rifles now, for plenty of money.

Didn’t you just get a 6.5 PRC? Ammo for those devils isn’t exactly plentiful right now. At least in my neck of the woods.

Semper Fi
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Buy a 308, 270 Win, or 30-06 and you can ignore the rest.

There isn’t much improvement over any of these 3 when it comes to deer hunting at reasonable ranges. The rest are simply for something different to play with.

Very true in my case. My rifle battery only covers 22 LR, 5.56, 243 Winchester, 270 Winchester, 308 Winchester, 30-06 and the 300 Winchester magnum. I have only hunted the lower 48 and have never felt like I had any missing gaps that needed filling. This listing allowed me to focus on acquiring overlapping components for reloading.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by beretzs

Didn’t you just get a 6.5 PRC? Ammo for those devils isn’t exactly plentiful right now. At least in my neck of the woods.

Yah. Looking with great curiosity, but, didn't buy, yet..... "Mostly."

It'd be a reloading proposition only, but, where's the brass? Might give it some time and thought. The PRCs seem very well done though. Here to stay? Too soon isn't it?

The horror is, shooting the occasional deer at 150 yards, is not currently pushing me to consider much further experimentation. I've not loaded a single rifle round this year. I'm hoarding components. LOL

Talk about pedestrian Salami.
30-30
300 Savage
30-06
6.5 Creedmoor
7mm Remington Magnum

I pray for the 6x45... Other than the PRCs, I feel a slight need for 9.3x62 and 375 H&H. Wow, I'm boring.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have to say I'm not exactly setting the world on fire with new cartridge hype. Several of my rifles are chambered for 100+ year old cartridges and I don't think I have any that are less than 50 years old.
All the new stuff sounds sexy but if you can't find ammo/components all you end up with is a wallhanger.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
I have to say I'm not exactly setting the world on fire with new cartridge hype.

Yup .... Among my favourites is the 257R, 7x57, 222, 280, 30-06 & 300H&H.

I do have a 6CM though as I like it's shorter OAL and thus fits better in a 700 short action.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Yah. Looking with great curiosity, but, didn't buy, yet..... "Mostly."

It'd be a reloading proposition only, but, where's the brass? Might give it some time and thought. The PRCs seem very well done though. Here to stay? Too soon isn't it?

The horror is, shooting the occasional deer at 150 yards, is not currently pushing me to consider much further experimentation. I've not loaded a single rifle round this year. I'm hoarding components. LOL

Talk about pedestrian Salami.
30-30
300 Savage
30-06
6.5 Creedmoor
7mm Remington Magnum

I pray for the 6x45... Other than the PRCs, I feel a slight need for 9.3x62 and 375 H&H. Wow, I'm boring.

Oh yeah, understand that. Your 7 Rem covers all the bases the 6.5 PRC would anyhow. I like mine so far, but it isn't lighting the world on fire, nor pushing anything else out of my safe.

Semper Fi
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can find 6.5prc up here with no problem. Good luck finding 7mag ammo. I saw two boxes of 264 win mag yesterday at sportsmans $81 dollars a box. This was regular old factory ammo nothing special. I can get 6.5 prc for around $50 a box.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
362 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 44 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.