Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Ky221 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Will be heading to Zimbabwe in August of next year and want to start getting all of the essentials that will be needed over the winter. I'm in need of a gun case that will handle 2 scoped rifles. I've never traveled out of the country with firearms before so am interested in what those that have recommend.

Feedback is appreciated greatly.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've been to Africa (10) times and always used my two gun SKB gun case. Love it!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I also have been using an SKB 2 gun case for travel, over 10 years now. Works without issues.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Another vote for SKB. I have a "bunkbed" style two-rifle SKB case that's been on multiple safaris to Tanzania and South Africa w/o a hitch. Hell for stout and highly recommended.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Agree with all on the 2 gun SKB.

IC B2

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have used the Pelican 1750 case for years. It comes with foam that you cut with an electric carving knife. I have carried both one and two scoped rifles many times without even a change in zero.

I use this case with a set of four Master padlocks which fit snuggly such that even if the latches are broken or pried open, it stays closed (never had a problem). The built in wheels are handy, as you pay for its sturdy construction with weight. Upside is that it’s tough for a thief to make away with. Highly recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Sele...9216&sprefix=pelican+1750&sr=8-4

Last edited by GF1; 10/17/21.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I agree! Pelican first choice for a trip like that!

SKB is good, my 3 rd choice!

2nd choice is the metal cases the Olympic shooters use, we use to call them Caskets
KK Air International! Used them all, and like them all! A little bulky, and heavy!
But Good protection!

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 10/17/21.

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Pelican.

I have used them on 6 international trips, a number of domestic trips including float plans and many thousands of miles in the bed of a pickup.

Not a single issue, problem or concern.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Love my wheeled Pelican.

Last edited by tankerjockey; 10/17/21.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought the "Airline Approved" 2 gun SKB that stacks the rifles and really like it. No cutting out foam. Just face the rifles in different directions for the best fit. It was around 270.00 from Cabelas. Disclaimer: I have never been to Africa!!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always liked my Tuffpak with the carry-on saddle bag. It's been to Africa four times, Russia, Canada, etc. and I've never had an issue. However, I haven't flown with firearms for several years.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mine is a wheeled 2-gun case from Impact Case. It has been around the world, including 2 trips to Africa, with no damage to firearms whatsoever.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Pelican/Storm about as good as it gets. Just way heavy. The new SKB are pretty nice but I don't like locks on the old ones. Strangly enough the Plano weatherguard works well for the money. Kalispell (spelling?) Made a really great welded aluminum case.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Have hunted Africa 10 times, plus Argentina. Have used a wheeled 2 gun case made by IMPACT each time. Never a problem. Would highly recommend.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Pelican 1750. It's a tank.

Tip: Use the shortest shanked, keyed alike, locks that you can find. Conveyor belt transitions eat long shanks like they were candy. And have a couple of copies of the key in your wallet, carry on, keychain.......

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
K
Ky221 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm leaning toward the pelican. The wheels seem like they would come in handy.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The wheels are very useful.

Eagle mountainman makes excellent points about the locks and keys.

I put extra locks inside the case as insurance against lost or damaged locks.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The SKB comes with wheels also...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have a couple of Storm/Pelican two scoped rifle cases that have made 30+ trips. I don't use the foam. I use cloths/jackets/sweaters for general padding bottom and top and the rifles in soft cases with the bolts removed and in a padded ballistic nylon knife case inside the rifle case. The knives, binos and any high value items go in the case.

Cases are showing some wear and the wheels came apart on one and they shipped me new sets for each case for FREE - no questions asked.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Gary the Pelican and the SKB are both top of the line. Take a look at them and see if they'll work for you. Ive used a Doskocil 2 gun case for 7 trips over there and it has worked great at a bargain price of $119 but of course, it is no longer made....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've used the Tuffpak. Rifle in soft case, all hunting clothes, binoculars, rangefinder, and other hunting gear like belts and ammo pouches. It look like a golf bag carrrier.

https://nalpak.com/Tuffpak-1050-Gun-Case-BLACK-w-Cushioned-Handle

Nalpak also sells Pelican and SKB cases.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Happy with my Cabelas by Boyt, both and and two rifle versions.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have the pelican 1750 guns case works great. If you can find an Americase 2 gun Safari, bomb proof, but no longer made.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R

Pelican…very heavy, will crack, and it holds side to side too firmly. Place a sheet of plywood against your head and then hit it with a hammer…lots of shock transmitted.

NalPak works great until you need to unpack it at customs or airline counter and then you will curse it to high heaven…I did that twice and then it was gone.

Any aluminum case will get caught in the aluminum rails of the various conveyor systems and the it might get torn as mine did on several occasions. No aluminum even if coated.

SKB…best but avoid their Pelican knock-off imitations. Material slick and won’t get stuck. Material bounces off stuff. Used one at least 15 times w/o incident.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have used Tuffpak and a Ziegel Engineering Aluminum one. Both have been on many hunts to Africa with no problems. Unpacking a Tuffpak is a pain in the butt if you over pack it with lots of other stuff and then need to unpack for Customs. Have also heard good things about the SKB.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Buy the tuff sack for the Tuffpak. Slides in and out, access your guns through the rear of their cases. Customs can suck ****************

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
[quote=BOWHUNR]I've always liked my Tuffpak with the carry-on saddle bag. It's been to Africa four times, Russia, Canada, etc. and I've never had an issue. However, I haven't flown with firearms for several years.

I used a tuffpak on a trip to Zimbabwe and several to other destinations. Worked well and you can stuff some clothing in around the rifles. I have not flown with guns for a few years. I recall that there was some extra paperwork required. Weeks before departure I took my gun to the local Minneapolis airport. They took the serial numbers and wrote them in a document that I kept. I think this is to be able to get the firearms back into the USA.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I used a Tuffpak on one international hunt, a trip to Mongolia for Gobi Ibex. The journey took me thru Beijing, and the numerous inspections and unloading and loading of the Tuffpak was a real PITA. It has since been sold.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
I have the pelican 1750 guns case works great. If you can find an Americase 2 gun Safari, bomb proof, but no longer made.

I was going to chime in on the Americase myself. I've used mine a couple of times to Sonora, MX, and several African trips. It is extremely durable and well made.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The upshot from this conversation seems to be lots of good choices, just a matter of choosing the one which best suits your needs and budget.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
I've always liked my Tuffpak with the carry-on saddle bag. It's been to Africa four times, Russia, Canada, etc. and I've never had an issue. However, I haven't flown with firearms for several years.

Ditto. I have taken rifles internationally a number of times including Tanzania and RSA in my Tuffpack. It has been perfect for my needs and its appearance does not shout out "Firearm!"

https://i.imgur.com/e89MtSj.jpg

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Another vote for Pelican!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've used Pelican cases on several trips, including to Africa. So far they have worked well.

NTO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used Pelican 1750 it made it’s 8th trip over this yr and they broke it finally. Was another guy in Newark that his broke also. One time on Emirates we got back to DFW to find the barrel of the clients rifle sticking out of his SKB.
Like the idea of Tuffpack but have watched to many dig everything out on the floor in customs.
Airlines can destroy any of them but Pelican still gets my vote.

North Texas Outfitters
www.huntexoticgame.com

R2BA Auction Company LLC
www.r2baauctions.com
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I prefer Tuffpack.

It is lighter. There is plenty of room to pack stuff around your firearms for added protection. Pack your firearms in soft cases and place in the Tuffpack barrel down and it it is easy to pull them out for inspection as needed.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
My Boyt 2 rifle wheeled case is heavy but is still in great shape after a half dozen domestic trips. I like the cam action twist latches as they can’t “accidentally” open. As someone mentioned previously I use somewhat short-shanked combination padlocks that barely fit through the locking holes so even if al four latches where somehow sheared off the case still remains tightly shut. I have a variety of foam sets cut for different rifle and shotgun pairings as well as spots for amok, knives, shooting sticks, bipods etc.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Hey Strosfann, where did you get the extra foam inserts? I have 2 Boyts, a long or regular one and also the shorter one.
I managed to take 2 rifles in the shorter takedown case to South Africa. Good thing because it barely fit in the rental car. The regular would have been too long.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Tankerjockey - they cell rolls of foam at hobby stores such as Michaels - just cut to fit with a filet knife. Works great.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the heads up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Americase.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a Boyt and it’s sturdy

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
It’s really hard to do better than a Tuffpak for a 2-rifle cases. You put your rifles inside their soft cases, then inside the Tuffsak, then slide that inside and fill up empty space with boots and clothing. Tuffpak doesn’t look like a gun case either, which is a plus. The guns are very well protected.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yup..Tuffpak

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Just make sure case makes the Airline weight limit and overall size overage costs can get spendy!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a reinforced ICC 2 gun case 25 years ago. Its still going strong. I've taken it to Africa 4 times, at least that many times to Alaska, multiple trips to Canada, all over the lower 48. That includes not only surviving the airlines but the bush planes, safari trucks, 4 wheelers, and all the countless baggage handlers its encountered along the way. Its a heavy case but that's a trade off i like. I've watched my hunting buddies buy and replace multiple cases during that time including most of the recommended ones here. I doubt I'll ever need another case and will give this one i have to my son someday. I'll be loading it again next week for another deer elk trip. Its been a fantastic case. Protected my guns without fail at every stop. I'm not sure they still make it with the heavier ga aluminum but if they do buy it. Mine has been a fantastic piece of equipment and a great value.

https://icc-case.com/collections/all

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I was the second responder to this post and I suggested the SKB which has served me well for 20 years.

Today, I bought a Nanuk gun case. One of my (4) locks on my SKB fell off. I came to realize that the locks are weakly welded to the aluminum liner. Hmmm. Also, on my SKB at least, there are no padlock holes, so one can only lock the case with the supplied key for the four latch locks.

I also bought a Pelican suitcase for my recent safari in Nov. to the Luangwa Valley in Zambia, and it worked beautifully. One of the great improvements over my previous canvas Cabelas travel bags, was a HARD case instead of canvas, plus the fact I could LOCK the Pelican in the two metal padlock holes provided, with padlocks.

So, I decided to buy a Pelican two gun case, and I went to my local Sportsman’s Warehouse to do so. While I was there, they also had a Boyt and a Nanuk. The Nanuk really impressed me over the Pelican, as it has (4) about 1/8” steel hole cylinders for padlocks, where the Pelican has only two metal and two plastic holes for padlocks. The Pelican metal holes appear to be thin metal ‘tin’ holes bent at 90 degrees. I’m sure they work, but the Nanuk was much thicker metal, and were complete cylinders of metal on all four holes.

Anyway, I am happy with my purchase so far, but I haven’t taken it on safari yet of course.

If anyone here is looking to buy a (2) gun case in the future, I’d highly recommend you take a look at the Nanuk.

YMMV

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Pelican 1750 two gun case is what I have used for years flying in the states. Used a Pelican 1700 four gun case one time when flying into a foreign country (Philadelphia) for a US Open. Wheels on cases are very much appreciated when you need them.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Harbor Freight. Believe it or not

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 163bc
I bought a reinforced ICC 2 gun case 25 years ago. Its still going strong. I've taken it to Africa 4 times, at least that many times to Alaska, multiple trips to Canada, all over the lower 48. That includes not only surviving the airlines but the bush planes, safari trucks, 4 wheelers, and all the countless baggage handlers its encountered along the way. Its a heavy case but that's a trade off i like. I've watched my hunting buddies buy and replace multiple cases during that time including most of the recommended ones here. I doubt I'll ever need another case and will give this one i have to my son someday. I'll be loading it again next week for another deer elk trip. Its been a fantastic case. Protected my guns without fail at every stop. I'm not sure they still make it with the heavier ga aluminum but if they do buy it. Mine has been a fantastic piece of equipment and a great value.

https://icc-case.com/collections/all

I've got a Kalispel case that was made for Cabela's, which is virtually the same construction as the ICC. This type is the lightest, strongest, and has the most useful space per volume. These aluminum cases with locking bars are much more svelt than plastic cases.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
That's a nice one kingston. I have an Americase which is very similar since they made them for Cabelas too. I don't think they are in business anymore though.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
SKB

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Also a 1750 fan. Check out Cobra Foam for sourcing a replacement foam for the case. Price is reasonable, and I’ve had good luck with them!

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Pelican , is the only one for me . Mine has made 14 trips to S.A. , no problems .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,247
Posts18,466,921
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.