Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What do you recommend for mid/late season elk hunting boot for Wyoming?

BP-B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Esox357

A pair that fits, and preferably a pair bought a few months ago and properly broke in by now.

I stay away from insulated boots except for the coldest of cold weather hunting or if I'm going to be sitting a lot. Once insulation gets damp or wet it takes a log time to dry, it makes the boot heavier and more stiff.

After that, the sky is the limit.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have several pairs, for everything from warm early-season hunting to snow and cold late. The most cold-resistant are Schnee's with removable insulated liners, which can be switched out if they get wet.

But the biggie with all is they fit well, and as alpinecrick suggests are well broken-in. Though in my experience many of the better brands these days break in pretty quickly.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks MD and Alpine.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You're welcome.

Might also add that I've hunted elk in "warm early-season" conditions in November, and shin-deep snow in September. Which is why I often bring at least two pairs of boots if on a trip away from home.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I've done some walking and had sore feet. Good socks can also be a big help.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Socks are important. I like merino wool personally.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Esox357

A pair that fits, and preferably a pair bought a few months ago and properly broke in by now.

I stay away from insulated boots except for the coldest of cold weather hunting or if I'm going to be sitting a lot. Once insulation gets damp or wet it takes a log time to dry, it makes the boot heavier and more stiff.

After that, the sky is the limit.

I have Kenetrek Mountain Guides. One pair is 400 Thinsulate and the other is Non Insulated.

Last year I wore a light pair of Asolos as well since it was dry most of the season.

Find what fits along with sock liners and thin merino wool socks work great for me.

Semper Fi
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Im looking hard at kennetreks or schnees.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I’ve been a real fan of Meindl comfort fit hunter formerly the cabbalas perfekt hunter

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
How long have you had the Meindl? How do they hold up to abrasion, if that's a factor where you use them ? I have problems with abrasion destroying the seams here in Pa with the mountain Laurel and brush. Rob

Last edited by haazrob; 10/18/21.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have several pairs, for everything from warm early-season hunting to snow and cold late. The most cold-resistant are Schnee's with removable insulated liners, which can be switched out if they get wet.

But the biggie with all is they fit well, and as alpinecrick suggests are well broken-in. Though in my experience many of the better brands these days break in pretty quickly.

MD which Schnee's are you using? Rob

Last edited by haazrob; 10/18/21.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wear Kenetrek Hardscrabble uninsulated much of the time and love them. I have a couple of stitch down all leather Danner with 400 grams, but honestly I just move to Schnees pac boots when I need insulation. Someone with colder feet might do differently.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by haazrob
How long have you had the Meindl? How do they hold up to abrasion, if that's a factor where you use them ? I have problems with abrasion destroying the seams here in Pa with the mountain Laurel and brush. Rob

They’ve held up well. I’ve spent a lot of time in hells canyon as well as the coastal mountains. With my flat feet and destroyed ankles they are the only boots I have not been able to walk over. I haven’t wore any of the others after finding these in 2003. The midsole will break down from UVs after multiple years but I’m talking 7 or 8 years and I’m just keeping my last set in the closet when not wearing.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
haazrob,

I have three pairs of Schnee's pac boots--uninsulated designed for use with just thick socks, uninsulated with insulated inserts, and what I believe they call the Extreme, with insulated rubber bottoms AND insulated inserts.

To tell the truth I probably have too many hunting boots. Along with the array of Schnee's I also have a pair of waterproof but very light, uninsulated Meindls, a lightly insulated pair of Gore-Tex Irish Setters, and a pair of 400 Insulate Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. Then there's a pair of ankle-height, smooth leather Irish Setter work boots which mostly get used for early-season prairie upland hunting, along with pronghorn hunting. Oh, and knee and hip boots for when some wading might be necessary.

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Look at the Hanwag Trapper GTX, my most comfortable boots to date!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
haazrob,

Sorry I missed your question on the Meindls. Have had them for 9 years now, and they're still in great shape. Have used them in some fairly abrasive places, such as South Texas and pronghorn prairies. But might also point out that because I have so many boots, none get used as much as they would with somebody who has only a couple pairs.

John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
haazrob,

Sorry I missed your question on the Meindls. Have had them for 9 years now, and they're still in great shape. Have used them in some fairly abrasive places, such as South Texas and pronghorn prairies. But might also point out that because I have so many boots, none get used as much as they would with somebody who has only a couple pairs.

MD it's good to have so many options. I keep my hunting boots just for hunting. I would not be shopping for another pair if my last pair of Danners wouldn't have failed so miserably. Good luck this season!

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Nestucca

They’ve held up well. I’ve spent a lot of time in hells canyon as well as the coastal mountains. With my flat feet and destroyed ankles they are the only boots I have not been able to walk over. I haven’t wore any of the others after finding these in 2003. The midsole will break down from UVs after multiple years but I’m talking 7 or 8 years and I’m just keeping my last set in the closet when not wearing.

Thanks for your input. They are at the top of my list for sure..

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Nestucca

Thanks for your input. They are at the top of my list for sure..

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
👍

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I mostly wear Lowa's now. on both sides of our state. One uninsulated pair and on 400gram pair does it.

For several years I used Danner elk hunters in insulated and uninsulated form. They were good in the East but pretty worthless in the leaves and mud of the West coast where I wore Danner Lights.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
I mostly wear Lowa's now. on both sides of our state. One uninsulated pair and on 400gram pair does it.

For several years I used Danner elk hunters in insulated and uninsulated form. They were good in the East but pretty worthless in the leaves and mud of the West coast where I wore Danner Lights.

I’m with you on the wet side. I had wet and cold feet all the time and would blow the inside seams out of the Rain Forests in short order. I never got to try the Lowa’s

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You really need at least two pairs. One dry pair to put on each morning while the other dries out. Gaiters are essential to keep the snow out. I usually wear a hiking boot in the early season and a higher hunting boot after the snow stays. Pack boots if it's really cold and traveling by snow machine.

Current favorite hunting boot is Rocky:

https://www.rockyboots.com/stalker/...ade-in-the-usa-outdoor-boot/RKS0499.html

Been wearing Rocky's for last 20 years.

God Bless America
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks UncleAlps. Plan on getting gaiters. Think I'll do a 1000 gram thinsulate pac type boot from Kennetrek or Schnees? Have some hikers but need something for cold and snow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Schnees for me with mostly late season stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
152 members (35, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 160user, 14 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.