Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I’ve been wearing insulated Field & Stream camo for years and it’s served me well. Pretty warm on sits, but really sweaty on stalks and walks. I hunt the hills of northeastern PA and walks aren’t always easy.
I have a pair good under armor base layer that I want to keep. What I want is a mid layer that will be my outer layer during warmer temps/early season, and an outer layer for long sits in the cold. Temps can be up to 70* during early bow and feet of snow during late rifle season when im
Sitting. That middle layer will get a workout, as I do like to walk around. So flexibility and durability are a must. Here’s a synopsis:
Base layer: Got it.
Mid layer: wind stopping, durable, flexible, water proof/resistant; leaning towards Kuiu attack pants for the bottoms, AFTCO reaper hoodie on top. I need to find a jacket to replace the Reaper if it’s going to be wet, as the Aftco is not waterproof.
Outer layer: warmth. Will only be wearing when it’s cold out. Needs to be easily removed.

If it helps, I’m 5’6”, 42wx29L. looking for suggestions and experiences. Thank you!

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Depending how cold where you hunt, check out silent predator wool coats or their vest with a King of the MOuntain wool shirt this pretty heavy.
I have been layering with a KUIU base layer, wool top i got from the silent predator rep in NY, then a Johnson Woolen Mills wool shirt. I will wear a KOM wool shirt or KUIU down jacket if it’s cold. Yesterday I wore the down jacket instead of the wool shirt coyote hunting. It was 23 degrees and felt like 14 with the light breeze.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Found carrying a spare baselayer is golden. Enhances warmth and being dry, always.

Sleeveless vests work well for midlayer.

Removable fleece over lower mid layer.

Am testing two King's Camo Guide waterproof fleece layers jacket (snow shadow and desert shadow)...need a trip in really cold temps to finalize assessment:

https://www.kingscamo.com/collections/snow-shadow/products/storm-fleece-jacket-in-snow-shadow

After using almost a dozen different outer shells/parkas, have settled on the ECWCS type parka or equivalent such as TruSpec. Virtually a mobile storm tent w/ pant of same at moderate cost. Good to modest pace with gear. Has good venting.

Bib-type pants from a major label are recommended for deep snow conditions.

The really expensive parkas with the most modern breathable fabrics are superior IF you want to spend the $$.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Get a lightweight merino wool base layer to wear under your under armor and a wool rich vest. You will be amazed how much warmer they will keep you. Wear suspenders so you can take off your outer layer and put them through the suspenders behind your back when walking around.Just an old Rodgers experience.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Study up on softshells.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've been dressing in layers for several yrs now, to be more precise, a few decades!
As hunter's, as Humans were all different, and we change as we get older, and
What works for me might not work for the next guy!

Personally, I sweat a lot, like a number of others, especially walking in, that could be detrimental to the Hunt, and more,
Importantly to my Health!

I think it also Depends on where your at, meaning what kind of Hunt!
At our Camp in PA, we typically walk out of Camp an hour before first light, and legal shooting time,
So I like to move slow and easy trying not to Heat up!

I've been on Western Guided hunts, where the Guide is raring to go get after it, and working hard to give you your Money's worth,
Albeit very good, all fine and dandy, but I've learned to dress down at the start, and when we get to where were going,
Remove the additional layers from my pack, and stay Warm!

We used to do a lot of wool back in the day, which is still preferred by many, including us, but with Today's light weight,
Warm gear, Gore Tex, and Th-insulate, it Varies on the hunt, and what were doing!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Polyester or merino base layer shirt.

Grid fleece (thin).

Grid fleece (medium weight).

Windproof jacket or softshell jacket.

Waterproof outer shell with hood.. More breathable and waterproof ratings, the better.

Puffy or additional fleece in pack.

Nylon or polyester balaclava.

Fleece balaclava.

Knit cap, wool or acrylic.

Layered glove/mitten system.

Shemagh, neck gaiter and or face protector.

Bottoms, baselayer, TruSpec Xpedition pants.

Waterproof pants.

If contact with ground expected while mobile, recommend elbow and knee padding and fleece mid-thigh shorts under waterproofs.

Keep feet dry. Always.

Remove and add layers as needed.

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I have tried different combinations without breaking the bank, bought some under armour cold gear base layer a few years with high hopes and wasn't impressed. Having sons in the military, my oldest gave me some light weight army silks and the waffle mid weights. Wear the silks than the waffle mid weights. Hands down the best base layer i have found, the wicking action keeps me from getting cold after I worked up a sweat, i have always been a fan of the outerwear with midweight coat zippered to a outer shell like the Cabela's silent stalker parka. Not sitka gear but it keeps me warm and dry hunting in the snow belt of northern Ohio.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Merino wool base layers make a huge difference.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yeah Merino has its pluses.

Make sure the clerk is over 50 when you ask for moth balls.

IC B3

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Here is a great video you might want to watch when you get the time.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

153 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 260madman, 338reddog, 29 invisible), 1,212 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,468
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.