Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Beginning part of the week I went and shot some test loads for a 30 06. I bought the gun new a few weeks ago. I was using IMR 4350 and testing in the 55-57 grain range using Hornady 180 grain Interlocks. One load, the 57.4 grain load did something strange. I use 4 shot groups, and 2 bullets cut the same hole, then the other 2 cut that same hole again, but about 2 inches at the 11 o'clock position.

Today I went and shot again going in .3 grain increments around the 56-57 grain mark. I purposely did not check my records to see which charge weight had done it, thought I will focus on consistend hold. Well the 57.2 grain load did the same thing. Exactly the same, 2 bullets cut the same hole, but this time they were 1 3\4 apart at the 10 o'clock position. Has me wondering if it is a fluke? I made sure my rifle hold was consistent, not resting on the sling stud etc. Just not sure what to think. Chrono numbers looked decent, 35 fps ES and 12 SD average of 2740 fps. Brass was once fired Remington, CCI 200 primers.

Rifle is a new Weatherby Vanguard with the bronze cerekoting. I am beginning to wonder if it is a bedding\ stock issue. I pulled the stock off to adjust the trigger, weatherby specifies 35 inch lbs torque on the action screws but I dont have a torque wrench...or maybe it is just a strange fluke???!!! Thoughts, advice? Thanks

Last edited by Jevyod; 10/16/21.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
It very well might be the bedding. Is the barrel free-floated, or does it have a "tip hump" that presses on the barrel? My experience is that just is that Weatherbys of all models shoot more consistently when the barrels are free-floated--and many aren't from the factory.

The torque isn't a big deal, but the relatively light recommendation of 35 inch-pounds can indicate the stock might flex too much with more torque.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
John is a lot smarter at this stuff than I am but IME when a rifle consistently "jumps" like that it is something mechanical so the suspicion is bedding, mounts, scope.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
No it is not free floated. I wondered if that may be my issue.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep! It can also definitely be mounts or scope, but have found barrel bedding to be the most common problem.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks John. Is there a good tutorial somewhere on how to free float the barrel? I have never attempted to do one. Also would you recommend bedding the action as well or would you just free float the barrel?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You might as well do both at the same time. Ammo is expensive.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Thanks John. Is there a good tutorial somewhere on how to free float the barrel? I have never attempted to do one. Also would you recommend bedding the action as well or would you just free float the barrel?

I would just free-float the barrel first. Often the action bedding is fine, even on inexpensive factory rifles.

You might want to consider a copy of my book RIFLE TROUBLE-SHOOTING AND HANDLOADING. It's basically a condensed, simpler version of my three GUN GACK books, and perhaps because it is shorter (and less expensive) it's still selling steadily close to a decade after it appeared. In fact we just had to order another printing. You can order it from our website www.riflesandrecipes.com, and the $24.50 price includes shipping in the U.S.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two groups.
Something ain't tight.

I'd listen to Mule Deer.
Especially if it shot ok before you pulled the stock.

Do they still use that cheesy hot glue crap to bed the lug?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I would just free-float the barrel first. Often the action bedding is fine, even on inexpensive factory rifles.

You might want to consider a copy of my book RIFLE TROUBLE-SHOOTING AND HANDLOADING. It's basically a condensed, simpler version of my three GUN GACK books, and perhaps because it is shorter (and less expensive) it's still selling steadily close to a decade after it appeared. In fact we just had to order another printing. You can order it from our website www.riflesandrecipes.com, and the $24.50 price includes shipping in the U.S.

Thank you! Will purchase one and try to float the barrel and see what happens!

IC B3

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Two groups.
Something ain't tight.

I'd listen to Mule Deer.
Especially if it shot ok before you pulled the stock.

Didn't see any glue. I did pull the stock before I ever shot it so I could adjust the trigger so no idea if that exacerbated the problem.

Last edited by Jevyod; 10/17/21.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

One of my favorite JB books and the first that I turn to.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I read an article once that sometimes oal can cause this to happen, then it wasn't long and I had it happen to me so I said I was going to try what I read. I shortened the oal just a hair and it actually worked. Could have been a fluke but it has continued to have 1 group in this rifle.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by DANNYL
I read an article once that sometimes oal can cause this to happen, then it wasn't long and I had it happen to me so I said I was going to try what I read. I shortened the oal just a hair and it actually worked. Could have been a fluke but it has continued to have 1 group in this rifle.

That ain't gonna work if the barrel bedding is screwy, and I would bet it is.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

I suspect you're thinking of the hot-glue bedding Winchester used for a while in Model 70s. I have owned a number of Weatherby rifles in the past couple decades, both Vanguards and Mark Vs, with both synthetic and wood stocks, and have never seen anything like that in their stock bedding.

John Steinbeck
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by DANNYL

That ain't gonna work if the barrel bedding is screwy, and I would bet it is.

So would I. I bought three Vanguards in wood a few years back when Slummy and Renegade were telling us about the Walmart clearances. All three in 243.

All three rifles had a severe speed bump pressuring the barrel near the front of the stock.

One, I resold before messing with correction of the stock, or even shooting it.

The other two, I shot each as manufactured. They were both erratic. I wrapped some sand paper around a socket and cut the speed bumps out. After adjustment, both rifles shot to MOA with Leupold VX II 3x9 s on clearance at the same time.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I guess I have been lucky. I have owned probably ten of them over the years and only one wouldn't do less than an inch without any changes at all.

I agree that free floated is probably best for consistency but I have left "good" alone because I have chased "perfect" too long and for too many dollars lol

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When something weird happens, gun geeks start trying stuff. The free float is one of the first things to try - can’t hurt right? Just 20 mins of effort can really change things. Let us know what happens.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Shim it ….. test fire…..then float if it works ?

Apologize , I am not a writer , but I believe I have read this before recommended by JB ?

Just read the next thread , JB states this same , honest my statement was from previous recollection , probably one of the GACK volumes but still valid advice in my humble opinion not to make permanent alterations

Last edited by Maine_Rifle; 10/19/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.