Print Thread
Hop To
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don't know if anyone has used this bullet for deer the size of an antelope or not...

but a friend, was able to buy some, to go deer hunting with... it was all he could find he said, and bought it from a private party.

of course he looked on line and decided, he wants it loaded to 3400 fps out of his New to Him Creedmoor, a TC bolt action rifle.

Is he flirting with disaster, using this bullet at that velocity on a 100 to 110 pound deer?

I tried to talk him out of it, even trading him some 110 grain Ballistic Tips or 100 gr SP Hornadys....but he has concluded it will be deadly on deer,
and want to give it a try....

any successes or disasters to report out there? or I can wait and find out from him, he's taking a week off this coming week to hunt.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
In the armpit it’ll be lights out. On the shoulder of a big buck may result in a rodeo.

This assumes they’re similar to the .224 Varmeggedon offerings.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Seriously? Your friend is a moron.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
but he has concluded it will be deadly on deer,
and want to give it a try....

Obviously he knows best. 🤡🤡🤡🤡

A fella I communicate with uses porkers as test media for bullet trials and he said he’s used that bullet a couple times - “super explosive and little penetration”.

Hell, many times they don’t exit coyotes. But I’m sure he’ll manage to kill a deer with it and proclaim it the bees knees for deer.
Put it in the right spot and it'll work - but if it were my friend asking me to reload for him, I'd just refuse to do so unless he opt for something a little sturdier.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stay forward of the shoulders in the neck and it will be lights out.

Easy pass in my opinion though.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks guys, I'll walk him up to some 100 grain Ballistic Tips, I know those work....

I also found some 100 grain Partitions....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I don’t know why some people feel the need to intentionally use the wrong bullet outside of the envelope it was developed for.

I know you know better Seafire, but your friend hopefully will take into account our responsibility as ethical sportsmen, which in my opinion is an essential quality in a real man, to ensure a quick and humane kill. By virtue of the nature of what we do wounding an animal is always a risk but it’s a risk that ethical sportsmen take steps to minimize as much as possible. Using a bullet designed to fragment in soft skinned game, small game sent at hyper velocity at big game doesn’t seem like the choice an ethical sportsmen would make.

I hope your friend will listen to your advice as I think he has a good and knowledgeable friend in you. Good luck talking some sense into your friend.

Years ago I had a good and long time dear friend that wanted to get a bear. I invited him up as he lived in Texas at the time and he stayed at our place like all my friends are welcome to do. On the second day of hunting I put him on 2 bears. He shot one, not the one I sent him for, and that was it. He walked away from it. He had no interest other than to kill and I was disgusted. Disgusted that I was friends with someone like that and didn’t see it earlier. Needless to say that he was sent packing that night no longer welcome in my home. I spoke with him a month or so later when he called to apologize and patch things up. I told him what I thought and that was the last time I saw him or spoke to him. It’s been 25 years and I still can’t believe I was fooled like that.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd go with that partition. I've had ballistic tips blow up on impact, still was a quick kill on the 2 deer I used them on but bloodshot a complete front shoulder and fragments into the guts.

I've used partition on elk and deer ever since and the penetration + expansion has always worked perfectly. Also I've seen a ballistic tip blow up on a friends elks shoulder and it run away, tracked it down and still made a kill, but I've put a partition through an elks shoulder and into the vitals. I've not used accubonds but have heard a lot of good on them, I've got some that I plan on trying on my next deer or elk hunt. This was all done with 7mm08.

Last edited by AZmark; 10/17/21.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks guys..... even did a little lesson for me here.. SKane saying he'd just refuse to load it for him...

so that is exactly what I am going to do.... Gave him an option of that, or take what I'll load for him...

just going to swap him bullet for bullet, found several boxes of 129 SP and 140 SP Hornadys, in another one of the zillion totes, all my stuff is in, scrattered all over the place since we moved 3 summers ago.....Wife got to have all the room she wanted for all of her stuff... we went from a 3000 sq ft house with a lot of storage also... to a house that was 2100 SQ ft and jackschidt for storage... still have a ton of things I can't find, still stored at friends places...building a 10 x 20 shed at the moment to get a lot of it moved here...

BUT, I did open a Tote that had about 10 boxes of bullets and another couple thousand brick of primers...Its always Christmas after I've moved...

in there were the 129s and the 140s.. so he's getting 129s or It also had one box of Sierra 130 gr Game Changer... 50 bullets unopened...

From previous experience with the 90 gr in 6mm,( we won't go there )....looked up a Sierra Load Data sheet, that I can load that to 2900 fps, with RL 16, which I've got about 3 lbs of that, to include an 8 lb container that is MIA....

but if he connects, the bullet won't fail....

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Friend of mine shot a dandy with a 25-06 90 gr Winchester pep straight up the ass bullet was in his neck when we caped it out I tried the 120 gr version at 50 yds frontal shot never made it thru the rib cage

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

332 members (163bc, 22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 29 invisible), 2,699 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,748
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.