Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
For real? This is supposed to be the rifle looney site!
Only anal retentive piss ninnies worry about such trivial shyt.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

I don't get worked up over somone calling a detachable magazine a "clip" either. Context makes it clear what they mean. Good enough.

Don't go there!

I found examples of Remingtoon calling their part for the 760 all three terms:
CLIP
MAGAZINE
MAGAZINE CLIP

Almost two much too bare.....
WGAF. Marlin called them clips in their ads as far back as I can remember. Everybody knows what they're talkin about. Hell, I've always called them clips myself, though I do know the difference between a clip and a detachable box magazine.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
^^^^^^ Spreading joy! grin

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
When I was a child, I thought only old maid schoolteachers picked on how you said it rather than what you said. I was wrong.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
mad mad mad mad"I prefer 30 caliber for hunting" means exactly chit. mad mad mad mad

Did I mention the media usage of HIGH CALIBER!

If yun's can't have fun on the 'Fire on Saturday night, what's the point....

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I don't get worked up over somone calling a detachable magazine a "clip" either. Context makes it clear what they mean. Good enough.

Don't go there!

CLIP
MAGAZINE
MAGAZINE CLIP

I grew up in a part of Pennsylvania where almost to a man you either carried a pump 30-06 or a 30-30 lever. Every pump guy i ever knew including me in those days called them "Clips" rather than "Magazines". Magazines were something we read while sitting on the Can

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Me too Mike

I don't remember ever hearing 'clip' referred to as a magazine UNTIL I joined the fire in 2010.

As Mtn Boomer said.....

"I found examples of Remingtoon calling their part for the 760 all three terms:
CLIP
MAGAZINE
MAGAZINE CLIP"

Some people need 'relaxed panties'.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 10/17/21.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
Some folks reading comprehension is lacking to say the least.

Jerry

What are you trying to say?

TRY ? nothing, I said exactly what I meant!.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by moosemike

Don't go there!

CLIP
MAGAZINE
MAGAZINE CLIP

I grew up in a part of Pennsylvania where almost to a man you either carried a pump 30-06 or a 30-30 lever. Every pump guy i ever knew including me in those days called them "Clips" rather than "Magazines". Magazines were something we read while sitting on the Can

A magazine holds and feeds ammunition, a clip holds ammunition but does not feed ammunition. They are 2 separate items

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
But gentlemen itโ€™s really spelled calibre ๐Ÿ˜ƒ at least up here.

Correct English versus the vernacular is always challenge especially when regional and national variations come into play.

Just think about what certain birds, fish and animals have for various regional names.

Burbot, Fresh water ling cod, eelpout, Mariah, coney fish etc, all are lota lota taxonomically. Should we insist that only lota lota is acceptable?

As long as we all understand each other how important are small variations in language?

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

"bear"

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Ingwe: perhaps he meant it was too much to exposeโ€ฆ.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John, I noticed Europeans and Scandinavians almost universally refer to individual cartridges as "Caliber" (or Kaliber as the case may be).

When I was younger it bugged me. Now I figure it's not a mountain worth dying on...

Q: "What caliber you shootin?" - A: "7em-em."

Translation:

Q: "What's your rifle chambered for?" A: "7mm Remington Magnum."

Here in Montana, only the 7RM is referred to as "7 em-em" so it's easy to know it's never a 7mm-08, 7x57, etc.

โ€œPerfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Awayโ€ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Way back when I gave up explaining my metric cartridges because it always guaranteed a follow on question:

"What'd you use on the mulie? My 6.5 Swede. What's that? It's a .26 caliber."

These days in the interest of reducing cartridge question pollution I do the following:

"What'd you shoot that elk with? My .26 Creedmoor. Really? Yup."

"What's that rifle? That's my .366 Bock. Hmmm, never heard of that one. I know".

Last edited by Puddle; 10/17/21.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was a kid, if someone invited you to go deer hunting with them and said "grab your 30-30, we're goin' to meet at Wood's orchard at 6:30'", you knew where and when they wanted you to show up prepared to hunt and that you needed to bring your deer rifle, regardless of what caliber the bore diameter was, what cartridge it was chambered for, or what make, model, or style it was. Back then, "30-30" was a generic term for a hunting rifle. The Savage 340 series rifles chambered in 30-30 were very common, as they generally sold new for under $75 and used for under $50. Winchester 94s sold for less than $100 in 30-30, common, and 32 WS, much less common It seemed like nearly every house had a rifle chambered in 30-30 and a 12 gauge shotgun gathering dust in a closet somewhere, along with a handful of loose ammo in the kitchen utility/junk drawer. Years have passed and times have change

As a side note, I find it odd that very few of those rifles were equipped with receiver sights, despite the fact that most of the people who I hunted with back then had fathers and uncles who had served in WW2 or Korea and had been issued a rifle with a receiver sight, either a Garand or an M1/M2 Carbine.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by GRF
Ingwe: perhaps he meant it was too much to exposeโ€ฆ.

Prezactly. Bearing my sole exposes me to much criticism...

Clip? Don't own a single one. Mags? Yes.

High caliber rifle? Yes, I have a few pretty decent ones.

--- Kid Rock 2022

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Lets get completely annoying and praise the shotty that is a caliber....4 huner n ten!

Honestly, when i hear somebody use the term shotty, or refer to cartridges as caliber....i just write em off as dumbasses.

Somebody brings a cool rifle to my local hangout and Ill ask "What chambering ? "

The cool guys smile.

Most however just stare like deer in the headlights.

Last edited by hookeye; 10/17/21.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I never heard of no receiver sight, they're peep sights. Obviously because you peep through them. This was even though we lived a mere 50 miles from LEO-pold.

We also had water uzels that dipped in the crick for periwinkles. It took months at the Oregon State University re-education and indoctrination facility to convince me other terms may be more universally applicable.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by hookeye
Lets get completely annoying and praise the shotty that is a caliber....4 huner n ten!

Honestly, when i hear somebody use the term shotty, or refer to cartridges as caliber....i just write em off as dumbasses.

Somebody brings a cool rifle to my local hangout and Ill ask "What chambering ? "

The cool guys smile.

Most however just stare like deer in the headlights.

Preach it cousin!

Shotty? That's pretty bad.

--- Kid Rock 2022

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
IMHO you can pretty well guess by such word usage... which folks think a bore sighting the night before the opener is good enough.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,645
Posts18,455,396
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.