Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Hogeye
When I was a child, I thought only old maid schoolteachers picked on how you said it rather than what you said. I was wrong.

Flugag buwuhh mowati digumdo shatezi.

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You'd think it's the off-season around here or something.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Brad,

Yep, the 7mm Remington Magnum is the ONLY 7mm caliber to many Montanans!

Ingwe used to work at Capital Sports in Helena, where I met him 30 years ago. Every year somebody would come in just before hunting season and asked for a box of Seven Em Ems. He'd ask which one, and they were always puzzle because EVERYBODY knows there's only one Seven Em Em. (Unless, of course, they called it the Big Seven, which is what many Montanans called the 7mm Remington Magnum when it first appeared in 1962, because back then everybody knew that you had to be a real man to handle a MAGNUM.)

Apparently things really have changed since then. Today you apparently have to be a real man to know (and properly use in conversation) the difference between cartridge and caliber.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Seven MM Remington? You mean the 7-08?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Ky221
You'd think it's the off-season around here or something.

LOL freezer is full.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Hogeye
When I was a child, I thought only old maid schoolteachers picked on how you said it rather than what you said. I was wrong.

Flugag buwuhh mowati digumdo shatezi.

Well said.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I never heard of no receiver sight, they're peep sights. Obviously because you peep through them. This was even though we lived a mere 50 miles from LEO-pold.

We also had water uzels that dipped in the crick for periwinkles. It took months at the Oregon State University re-education and indoctrination facility to convince me other terms may be more universally applicable.

The Mossbergs and Remingtons that I shot on the 50' range at Camp Pinnalce in Lyme, NH, had Lyman peep sights on them. I called 'em peep sights until I learned that sights mounted on the tang or bolt were peep sights, while those that were attached directly to the side of the receiver were receiver sights. Nomenclature can be a b1tch!

Scopes back then were mostly Weavers and anyone with a Redfield, Leupold, Lyman, or Untertl was looked upon as being sophisticated well above average. European scopes were war trophies and anything from Japan was Jap crap. People still remembered Pearl Harbor and many, maybe most, still held anything Japanese in contempt in 1964.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Calling a cartridge a caliber.

"How many calibers (cartridges) does your clip (magazine) hold?"

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A sight mounted on a bolt! OMG that never would have passed the stink test at home. LOL

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nits in the English language are among my favoritest nits to pick.

The problem is that there is no one word that specifically refers to the entire group of individual cartridges or rounds of ammunition that fit a specific firearm's chambering.

Cartridge refers to a round of ammunition, cartridges being plural, but that could be subject to some stretching.

"What cartridge does your rifle use?"
"It uses the first, second and ninth cartridges in this box of 20 but not the rest".

Chambering is correct for an individual firearm but is awkward when referring to cartridges. "Gimme a box of them .30-30 chamberings."

Many words in the English have two or more meanings based on context. A tear can be a drop of water from the eye or a rip in some material. "That mine is mine", said the prospector. The man in the lead told the group to get the lead out. You cannot judge the caliber of a man by the caliber of his firearm's bore.

Therefore, since caliber is already in common use I propose that we legitimize that word and call it good. Even the almighty google unknowningly uses it in that regard.

cal·i·ber
/ˈkaləbər/

1. the quality of someone's character or the level of their ability.
"they could ill afford to lose a man of his caliber"

2. the internal diameter or bore of a gun barrel.
"a .22 caliber repeater rifle" (Hey google, is that .22 LR or a 22 Hornet?)

Let's add #3. the group of cartridges of like case dimensions that fit a specifically named chambering.

So when someone asks, "what caliber is that?", we can henceforth hold our heads up high and state in a firm and confident manner, "it's a .338 lah-poo-ah mangum and it's got a Lee-uh-pold scope on it."

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I’ve probably done it a time or two during my lifetime 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A guy at work said the whole hunting camp had 300 magnums. I asked which one, he repeated 300.

Last edited by Bugger; 10/17/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
I grew up in a part of Pennsylvania where almost to a man you either carried a pump 30-06 or a 30-30 lever. Every pump guy i ever knew including me in those days called them "Clips" rather than "Magazines". Magazines were something we read while sitting on the Can

And nodding knowingly as you read the scribe's words describing the latest whizbang rifle with a detachable clip?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Muzzle break. Go...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What about caliper?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
I grew up in a part of Pennsylvania where almost to a man you either carried a pump 30-06 or a 30-30 lever. Every pump guy i ever knew including me in those days called them "Clips" rather than "Magazines". Magazines were something we read while sitting on the Can

And nodding knowingly as you read the scribes words describing the latest whizbang rifle with a detachable clip?

Aren't all clips detachable?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I know one guy that was all fugged up and couldn't understand how I had a Ruger in 243 Winchester.

He thought if you had a Winchester chambering it was always in a Winchester rifle and so on with Remingtons rifles/chamberings and such.

Not schitting one bit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

And nodding knowingly as you read the scribes words describing the latest whizbang rifle with a detachable clip?

Depends whether you're an accurate or close enough wordsmith. Or should that be precise?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Depends whether you're an accurate or close enough wordsmith. Or should that be precise?

Good enough.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Good enough.

No, no, no. It was meant to spur the discussion between accuracy and precision!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,146
Posts18,464,986
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.