Print Thread
Hop To
F
Freezer Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
My son stands 5'6" and is of small stature. He owns a older Savage 110 chambered in 7mag. Recently I've been trying to find a better fitting stock for him. Standard stocks can be cut for LOP but you can't change the grip distance or drop. I've checked out a few sites but nobody has addressed the market for a decent stock. Even the "youth stocks" address the LOP only. Any ideas?

This seems to be a common problem in the gun industry. I've been searching for a new rifle for my wife. There are two companies that build a stock for a woman, Weatherby (Camilla) and Savage (Lady Hunter). With the Weatherby MSRP at $1999 you can guess what I'm going to buy.

Last edited by Freezer; 10/17/21.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Might contact Savage to see if their custom shop will fit a "Lady Hunter" stock to your son's 110.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Freezer
My son stands 5'6" and is of small stature. He owns a older Savage 110 chambered in 7mag. Recently I've been trying to find a better fitting stock for him. Standard stocks can be cut for LOP but you can't change the grip distance or drop. I've checked out a few sites but nobody has addressed the market for a decent stock. Even the "youth stocks" address the LOP only. Any ideas?

This seems to be a common problem in the gun industry. I've been searching for a new rifle for my wife. There are two companies that build a stock for a woman, Weatherby (Camilla) and Savage (Lady Hunter). With the Weatherby MSRP at $1999 you can guess what I'm going to buy.

WBY makes a Vanguard in the Camilla.

https://weatherby.com/store/vanguard-camilla/

https://weatherby.com/store/vanguard-camilla-wilderness/

This looks like a good deal too.

https://weatherby.com/store/vanguard-synthetic-compact/

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 10/17/21.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I put a Boyd's stock on a Howa Mini action with the shortest LOP they make for my kids. It works out well for them.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Just bear in mind that the shorter (and lighter) you make that 7mm Magnum, the harder it's gonna rap that kid, and possibly make a flincher out of him. Even the toughest macho men are not immune to that phenomenon (but they'll deny it to their grave).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Also, my experience with "grip distance", (if You refer to where the pistol grip is relative to the trigger..), be careful, especially with a stiff recoiler like a 7mag. Too close and the trigger guard comes back against the fingers in a most unpleasant manner.

I would suggest modifying a standard stock until it fits your son "just right". Don't afraid to be ruthless in your cutting and patching. Car bondo is an easy add-on, and easily shaped after it hardens. Once you get it, then send the ugly template-thing off to a stock copier.

What about those component stocks that competition target shooters use, they're infinitely adjustable. Or that new Boyd's "At One" stock?

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
what JeffG said about fingers and trigger guard is 100%, I had hand trauma and it made me flinch, till my hand healed up

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I bought a 16 gauge German double gun once which was too short. "Ah, I can shoot it ok." After two rounds of skeet it had bludgeoned my cheek to the point that it was bleeding. It went down the road pretty quickly.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,505
Posts18,452,557
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.