Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by reivertom
There is no shortage, it is all a fabricated "crisis". There are ships full of goods circling off both coasts.

California environmental laws are screwing the truckers. Bitemes total shut down you never heard about will be blamed on Trump. You will be told plenty by the MSM how fughked we'd be if Biteme didnt order 24 hour work unloading the ships. There will be no 24 hour unloading of ships. Its 12 hrs/day and iirc 5 days a week. The guys running the cranes are scarce and make big bucks and dont work nights.

It will be, as Biteme said, a dark winter. Stock up on everything. Now.

This is the deep state cabal destroying the US economy, of which US mfg has already been destroyed and moved to Chyna.

Now. Chyna is going under.

Who will supply our needs? It wont be Santa Claus this year. Biteme and his deep state Puppetmasters have locked Santa down.

We are fughked if Trump doesnt get back in soon.

Last edited by jaguartx; 10/15/21.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
BP-B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Hell, if you want to talk about rules and regulations that effect commercial drivers and the shortage of. The 3 biggest and all of them are more than 20 years old are (and I might be slightly off about the dates)...

1983 B.A.C was changed from 0.08 to 0.04 for commercial drivers.

1992 federal government standardized rules and regulations, and a drivers record followed you from state to state.

2001 point system was changed, and commercial drivers were no longer allowed points even in their personal car without it counting against their commercial license.

Combined, experienced drivers were hard to keep.

Phil

Come on, tell us the MSM and your BS. Its Trumps fault. Biden is shipping foreign muslims and Central Americans in who wont need the jab to be hired on and truck those goods to us stupid, incapable, clueless American crackers, right?

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by jnyork
Somewhere in the last couple of days I read a short couple of sentences about the backup of cargo in the shipping ports in California, it had to do with supposedly a California law that prohibited owner/operator trucks from loading out at the ports, thereby contributing to the problem. Anyone know anything about this, maybe a link to a news article or some other detailed info on this? Find it hard to believe, but then, it IS California.

I don't know the name of the bill , but my understanding is they have outlawed independent contractors, that are kept track of with a 1099 every year.
They are forcing companies to hire them as employees and pay benefits and payroll tax's. So as you can guess they said fugg it and left the state

This.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Dutch
Two issues contribute to the issue. One, CA has flat outlawed any truck older than a 2011 (i.e. pre-DEF).
Yep - a OTR driver friend told me that too..
Historically, new trucss go on the long haul (OTR) circuit, and when they get to about half a million miles or so, they tend to go to local companies for pickup and delivery work, containers, agriculture. construction, etc. There they spent the rest of their life running a few miles a day. CARB eliminated more than half of the trucking fleet with that regulation. And right now, you can't buy a new truck. I've been trying to order a new Kenworth, and it looks like it might be 2013 before I get it.
You're late - it was ready eight years ago, and they sold it to someone else.. laugh laugh

All this is the NWO dimocrap and Rino agenda to hamstring the US economy and let the Chynese become the King of the Hill.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Quit bitching when you don't know what the hell you are talking about... 2007 trucks and newer have no restrictions until after Jan 2023, at that time they will need a 2010 or newer engine. Older trucks have until this year been able to operate with installed exhaust scrubbers.

The law has been in effect since 2008, NOTHING NEW HERE... and has been challenged many times... Also it effects all trucks entering California.

After 2023, all trucks must have a 2010 or newer engine. That's it.

Now for those of you that haven't been in the trucking industry, most insurance companies have far stricter requirements as to the age of the trucks that they will insure for interstate transport.

So go fly a kite, you'd have better luck, just do it during an electrical storm, a big one!

Phil

You stupid POS. Look what you corksuckers did to Detroit, NY, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Baltimore.

You and your treasonous deep state NWO cabal party and dumbfughk useful idiot buds are going down.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by jaguartx; 10/15/21.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brother Jag, the stupidity of the left is breathtaking..... our country is in deep doodoo

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
One word “Democrats “

But at least Biden has a plan to fix it laugh

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
As I said you dumb [bleep] don't know what the hell you are talking about. The drayage regulations only involved trucks actually entering the ports themselves. But it also involved every aspect of the ports and all the personnel working in the ports. Nobody could enter the ports without their TWIC card period and that was a federal security investigation clearance of everyone including all truck drivers. Few that applied were actually cleared. And it was strict and easy to loose the privilege's.

The OP was asking about California restrictions.

The ports newer requirements were put into place after 11 Sep, 2001, these are the requirements on the drivers themselves. But it also involved all the ships to, any ship in port had to completely shut down and go on dock power. They could no longer run their engines while docked.

But that also brings up the trucks no idle laws, and I don't remember when that was put into place right off, late 90's if I remember right.

As to your all's stupid remarks about those 3 law changes I mentioned. you all are some really dumb [bleep]! Most of you couldn't hold a CDL for 2 weeks, much less depend on one for your living....

Up until I retired I held every class license the state had including every hazmat and emergency response certification they offered so go [bleep] your selves.

Phil

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
As I said you dumb [bleep] don't know what the hell you are talking about. The drayage regulations only involved trucks actually entering the ports themselves. But it also involved every aspect of the ports and all the personnel working in the ports. Nobody could enter the ports without their TWIC card period and that was a federal security investigation clearance of everyone including all truck drivers. Few that applied were actually cleared. And it was strict and easy to loose the privilege's.

The ports newer requirements were put into place after 11 Sep, 2001, these are the requirements on the drivers themselves. But it also involved all the ships to, any ship in port had to completely shut down and go on dock power. They could no longer run their engines while docked.

But that also brings up the trucks no idle laws, and I don't remember when that was put into place right off, late 90's if I remember right.

As to your all's stupid remarks about those 3 law changes I mentioned. you all are some really dumb [bleep]! Most of you couldn't hold a CDL for 2 weeks, much less depend on one for your living....
CA
Up until I retired I held every class license the state had including every hazmat and emergency response certification they offered so go [bleep] your selves.

Phil

I still hold any / all license. But still not a truck [bleep] ... for own personal work and yes you a stupid [bleep] .. rule #1 should driver can read / wright/ speak English .. [bleep] CA

Last edited by ldholton; 10/15/21.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dutch
........many resorted to rebuilding older trucks over and over again.
That's what my friend is doing - just had his engine rebuilt for the second time. He has over 3 million miles on the truck and sez he can rebuilt/maintain it as long as he wants to in order to prevent getting one with all the electronic/emissions crap on it... He only runs three states - and CA is NOT one of 'em.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

OK, let's play again. The OP asked what Kali regulations affected the hold up at the Kali ports, specifically.

Note, there are no significant delays at other ports around the nation, other than slight delays due to steam ship lines adding stops at ports other than LA / LB. Freight is moving out of Portland, Tacoma, Seattle, Corpus, Houston, South Louisiana, Jacksonville, Savanna, Virginia, New York/ New Jersey, Charleston...... They are all moving containers as needed. Drayage prices are stupid high, but freight is moving.

Now, why is LA and even Oakland (where this whole mess really started) different? It's not TWIC. Number one, if your buddies can't get a TWIC card, you hang out with a bunch of losers. A TWIC card is stupid easy. Basically, if you are allowed to own a firearm, you get a TWIC card. Try hiring drivers that qualify for entry into Canada -- that'll narrow your pool down WAY more. It's not the national laws. If it were the national laws, all the ports would be plugged up, and they aren't. It's just California that's special.

The problem laws are, as pointed out, CARB / Clean Truck and AB5. They restricted the available trucks AND the number of available drivers. They put ideology before common sense, and in the process fuqed the nation into recession. The unions asked for it, and the unions got it. The unions OWN it -- but ironically it's not the guys on the gantry cranes. They don't have a place to put the stupid containers, because there's no trucks to haul the containers off.

Phil

Aren't you special! Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

Here's a hint. You were a union driver. You wouldn't last a month as an owner operator, let alone trying to run a trucking company. You'd blow your brains out the first time you'd have to make payroll.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dutch, always enjoy your informed perspective on these matters. Just think people like Phil are running the show.... terrifying and no wonder our country is in peril

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Hell, if Dutch knew anything about trucking he wouldn't be posting such BS...

California handles 80% of west coast TEU's period.

Number of TEU's and vessels handled have increased every year except 2018/2019 (which saw a small decline) for the last 20 year's

TEU's handled have nearly doubled over the last 10 years, and 2 months in 2021 have seen record numbers.

Maybe, one should look at the Import/export numbers instead... The US isn't exporting with imports being nearly 5 to 1 over exports in TEU's

Truckers must also handle all those empty's which also take up facilities and storage space!

Phil

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
That is a hell of a record, it can take a driver 45 to 50 years to clock 3 million miles. Most never do, and more than 10 years for a team to put that on a truck driving 24/7/365 if that were legally possible... and to do it in just 3 states that really is something. It would have to be an independent hauling cheap, because no broker or insurance would allow it. That is one of the beast of trucking, they want their loads to arrive on time and in good shape. They don't entertain break downs, and damaged or spoiled loads.

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a hell of a record, it can take a driver 45 to 50 years to clock 3 million miles. Most never do, and more than 10 years for a team to put that on a truck driving 24/7/365 if that were legally possible... and to do it in just 3 states that really is something. It would have to be an independent hauling cheap, because no broker or insurance would allow it. That is one of the beast of trucking, they want their loads to arrive on time and in good shape. They don't entertain break downs, and damaged or spoiled loads.

Phil

At 50 years that's only 60k a year. Not exactly hard to do.

I would bet there are a lot of guys doing double or more than that every year.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/17/21.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Live in an area where two Interstates intersect in PA, so heavy volumes of semi traffic is something we deal with on a regular basis. They say there's a shortage of drivers, but you'd never notice it around here, by the numbers of trucks on the roads?

One stretch of I-81 (three lanes) is often backed up around afternoon rush hour periods. Usually the south bound side. I cross over it almost daily and can see over a mile of that interstate in both directions from the overpass. About 75% of the traffic standing still when there's a back up, is comprised of semis and that hasn't changed in the past several years.

There's a Norfolk Southern container yard to the east, not far from where I-81 and I-83 intersect. No noticeable decline in truck traffic in and out of that yard. Or long trains in the area of containers moving through.

So if the big issue is west coast ports and Kommifornia regs, it isn't showing up here in the east. But since the west coast is where all the Chinese and other Asian crap is flowing into, it makes sense that is where the problem is.

I've heard several OTR truckers grumble about CA regs for some time. Most have no desire to go there if they don't have to. Most of them run the eastern seaboard and some midwest runs, so not something they have to abide.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Phil

You really are an idiot.
Just stop. Every post shows more ignorance.

In the 1990's I drove a 315hp truck limited to 62mph.
With a recorder that forced me to be under 57mph, 90% of the time.
I averaged 3100 paid miles/wk.
It was accepted at that time that the HHMG miles were up to 10% under actual. Considering post office to post office calculations don't even reflect load requirements, and the miles sometime driven within one city, I drove a fair amount more than 3100.

Later my wife and I were committed to being able to run 1100/day in a 350hp
truck with the same speed limitations. We didn't average that, obviously.

Changed jobs. We got in a real truck.
460 Cummins, 13 over, just shy of Tripple digit capable.
We didn't drive unusually fast. Just traffic flow speed.

We were running 5k paid in 5 1/2 days.

bedford pa, (home)
Wythville Va
Winchester Va
Trenton NJ
Kansas City, drop loaded trailer pick up MT racks.

Back to

Wythville,
Winchester,
Trenton,
Kansas City,
Bedford for a short weekend

If you can do math,
That's over 150k solo counting 2 weeks vacation. But leaving out the unpaid miles.
About 20 years for 3 million. Solo.

The team mileage is closer to your numbers, except, we only worked 5 days.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 10/17/21.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
When you take into account Service Hours, and the proportion of which is actual driving time. Traffic and other job related time not driving.... loading , off loading, finding a load. and the simple fact that most drivers don't make a career out of it. You'd start to under stand why mileage doesn't add up all that fast necessarily.

Then believe it or not most driving jobs are not just driving. In my case I would maybe work 14 to 16 hours or more, and might only drive 200 or 300 that day. But that would be taking machines apart, loading, delivering, off loading then placing and reassembling the machines. Then again some day's i might drive the limit. Hell some day's I could stay within a 100 mile radius an do 2,3, or 4 separate jobs and still drive some 600 miles, Other day's I might be operating equipment and not do any driving at all.

But did that pretty regularly for some 45 years.

Phil

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So in summary we have regulated our selves to death.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Friend who is a career driver for a local independent trucking outfit just the other day said this about trucking and per trucking into CA:

"The media keeps talking and reporting about a trucker shortage being part of the problem with getting cargo ships unloaded …. What they don’t report is that the cost of fuel is over $2.00 higher than the national average , the environmental laws that prohibit certain trailers into the state , and the new law passed in September which prohibits owner operators from working in the state . Truckers don’t really want to go to California because they have too many regulations against the trucking industry."

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 72 invisible), 2,825 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.