Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MLC
There is also the problem when you break down some where. You don’t just pull in any shop for repairs. Big money at the Mercedes dealer and no telling how long to get repaired.

Best thing is these RVs built on the Mercedes chassis are pretty proven to be problem free.

But when they do break, it can be a lot more limiting than just finding a Mercedes dealer.

Many wouldn't consider working on a RV at all. Same goes with other brands and their matching car dealerships as well.

RV dealerships with strong service departments stay booked.
Just try finding a good RV shop with a good diesel mechanic along your average rural American hiway.

This past Spring while traveling west on I-40 we hit a chug hole and shattered a front wheel bearing. The interstate was rough as a cob, semi's were traveling the left hand lane to avoid the wasted more heavily traveled right lane.

Got off the next exit, dumped the bike off the RV and went shopping for parts while my travel partner tore down the right front.

I found a Autozone and a O'Reillys auto parts next door to each other, both had the bearing/hub assembly in stock for my Chevy 1 ton, Autozone had the best price.

By the time I got back to the RV it was ready for the install.
Total down time was between 3 to 4 hours.

That Chevy 1 ton is really common and Chevy hasn't changed much at all on it for a long time, I was paying close attention to be sure they gave me the correct part. That part number covered a huge spectrum of years for 1 ton Chevys.

Not so sure I'd have been as fortunate if I was driving a Mercedes.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Morewood
I've never heard of this potential requirement. You telling me a campground host is going to kick out a restored vintage Airstream?

Hmmm...

It's common any more.

The parks that have the requirement seem to cater to the "show and boast" crowds.

The nicest truck pulling the biggest 5th wheel, the most exspensive bus, etc..

Everybody goes RVing for different reasons.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Yes, even out here in rural Idaho. Most campgrounds have limits on vehicle age.

Like CC&Rs in a subdivision. Can't let the environment become populated by undesirables.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
What conversion company built it?

A 2500 or 3500 sprinter?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Anything made by MB is 2 or 3 times more expensive to fix when something goes wrong, and it definitely will.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Campground HOA
LOL !

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by Brazos; 10/16/21.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
Originally Posted by Redneck
many campgrounds (not all by any means, but more and more) have the "ten-year" rule... Any camper or RV older than ten years won't be welcome... Some will, IF the owner sends 'em a very recent pic of the camper for 'consideration' of entry..

What's the idea behind this?
Shortage of spaces?

Campgrounds that busy?

They don't want any "Cousin Eddie" Winnebagos in their campgrounds.
Bingo.....
I've never heard of this potential requirement. You telling me a campground host is going to kick out a restored vintage Airstream?

Hmmm...
Again, it depends... They can ask for a recent pic of the camper for approval.. A 'restored' Airstream's probably not going to be an issue..

Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Yes, even out here in rural Idaho. Most campgrounds have limits on vehicle age.

Like CC&Rs in a subdivision. Can't let the environment become populated by undesirables.
Exactly...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only problem with that assumption is Cousin Eddie ain't paying the prices the parks with the age limit are charging.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brazos

One of I think the first two issues on the list at your link comes about at the 100K mile point and is a $2500.00 wonder for repair.

When I was in the market for one the more reputable dealers pointed out if the problem had already been corrected or not.

Originally Posted by reivertom
Anything made by MB is 2 or 3 times more expensive to fix when something goes wrong, and it definitely will.

Just shopping parts, not repairs, the costs for the Mercedes are quite simular part for part with Ford or Chevy for driveline/chassis parts.

It's most likely due to the Dodge, Frieghtliner and Mercedes all being one in the same.
All the chassis parts are interchageable, everything but the grill and badge anyway.

It keeps the price down but doesn't seem to help with availability, Sprinter parts just aren't stocked like Ford and Chevy.
Seems odd considering how common the Sprinter chassis has become in recent years for delivery and commercial work vehicles.

They are just not old soul's like the Ford and Chevy chassis are.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by Brazos

One of I think the first two issues on the list at your link comes about at the 100K mile point and is a $2500.00 wonder for repair.

When I was in the market for one the more reputable dealers pointed out if the problem had already been corrected or not.

Originally Posted by reivertom

Just shopping parts, not repairs, the costs for the Mercedes are quite simular part for part with Ford or Chevy for driveline/chassis parts.

It's most likely due to the Dodge, Frieghtliner and Mercedes all being one in the same.
All the chassis parts are interchageable, everything but the grill and badge anyway.

It keeps the price down but doesn't seem to help with availability, Sprinter parts just aren't stocked like Ford and Chevy.
Seems odd considering how common the Sprinter chassis has become in recent years for delivery and commercial work vehicles.

They are just not old soul's like the Ford and Chevy chassis are.

The "no start countdown" is the worst of the bunch.
I was along with my buddy when this occurred, not for the first time. It involved a 200 mile detour to a Mercedes dealership which uncharacteristically worked us into their schedule. Only cost one day of a hunting trip and $1700.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, I bought it. That 6 cyl diesel engine feels good, plenty of power and supposedly 16-18 mpg. Clean and good resale value.
LED accent lites, mf's. Killer jensen stereo surround sound

With this sweet unit I can tow my other money pit, the fishing boat behind it no problemo for fun-filled adventures.

Jesus take the wheel

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, I bought it. That 6 cyl diesel engine feels good, plenty of power and supposedly 16-18 mpg. Clean and good resale value.

With this sweet unit I can tow my other money pit, the fishing boat behind it no problemo for fun-filled adventures.

Jesus take the wheel

Have fun,

If you get up this part of Cali let me know. I'll bring some coffee grounds for us to brew in your fancy rolling camp!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Jesus take the wheel

I sincerely hope it serves you well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now get out there and start rackin up miles on that bad boy.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
........... and supposedly 16-18 mpg.
If that is correct, I'd be totally surprised.. I'm betting it's really about 10-13... But best wishes for you onward...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My bets 15 to 16 mpg towing the boat, but a lot depends on cruising speed.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If you are worried about how much it costs to buy and maintain, you better pass. They don’t put the Mercedes emblem on front to indicate low budget and no maintenance.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Anything over 14 doubles the fuel mileage that I get with my Ford V 10, when “NOT” towing anything! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by memtb

Anything over 14 doubles the fuel mileage that I get with my Ford V 10, when “NOT” towing anything! memtb

That's why I avoided the V10, lot's of those on the used market awaiting their next victim.

My Chevy 6.0l vortex gets 10.4mpg @ 65mph pushing my 28ft coach down the road.

70mph knocks me down to 9.6mpg.

The fuel economy those coaches build on the Sprinter chassis get is about all I find desirable about them for my needs.

Now if a guy were to pop for the $200k + model and get the lifted 4x4 version it might be worth dealing with the more compact interiors.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, 6 invisible), 1,600 guests, and 805 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.