Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
TOTALLY agree with DD...

However if you look at the level of ignorance in this world, let alone in this country the only answers that will effectively curb population growth are drastic and harsh measures people just won't go for.

So we wait for the Malthusian predictions, of war, famine, and pestilence.

And we will see them all.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
TOTALLY agree with DD...

However if you look at the level of ignorance in this world, let alone in this country the only answers that will effectively curb population growth are drastic and harsh measures people just won't go for.

So we wait for the Malthusian predictions, of war, famine, and pestilence.

And we will see them all.

We will.

But because that's the human condition, not because Malthus was right.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Dan,

I thought this was going to be a sermon.

Lol

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dutch

We will.

But because that's the human condition, not because Malthus was right.

Or...in that case....both.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
How much US cropland is being used for non-food crops like corn for alcohol, etc?
We have thousands of square miles of land in this country that could be productive farm land if someone can find a source for water. There's plenty of it in the east but the west is way too arid for dry farming.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
It's way more complicated than that.

But...the west is not too arid. It's just that there is no organic matter left in the soil and too much of that land is not covered.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stop flooding it with illegals would help.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by Whiptail

The US agriculture system very inefficiently turns fossil fuel energy into food energy . Try farming without modern equipment, fertilizers, and pesticides and let us know the true potential. Fossil fuels are a non-renewable resource even though we treat them as if they are.

That statement is a false dichotomy.

Industrial farming uses fossil fuel, chemical fertilizers and herbicides / peesticides because that is the cheapest way to do it.

If there are no fossil fuels, we can convert our tractors to bio diesel and even some battery electic from solar, geothemal, or wind, spread out animal production (pig and chicken houses, feed lots) to allow the use of manure as fertilizer, and breed insect and blight resistant varieties of crops. The cost of food and fiber would go up, but not enough to materially effect our living standard.

Malthus was wrong. You are, too.

Unfortunately I'm not wrong and massive farm subsidies should give you a big hint.

I agree there's lots of potential for future technologies to improve agriculture and energy production but whether or not it can meet the scale of the ever increasing demand(population) remains to be seen. Even today there are major hurdles that our illiterate government doesn't understand to just using renewables to power our homes, not to mention transportation.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I was really hoping COVID concern would be real.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
White people have backed off on having children while brown and black people are breeding like flies.

It ain’t just White folks, South Koreans are hurrying to extinction faster than anyone. Even Mexico is now holding steady at replacement level fertility (2.1 kids/woman).

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Dan,

I thought this was going to be a sermon.

Lol

OK.

I preach my dear friends, that you are about to receive long John barley corn, nicotine and the temptations of Eve!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
John Barleycorn must die.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

But...the west is not too arid. It's just that there is no organic matter left in the soil and too much of that land is not covered.
We get less than 10" of rainfall/yr and almost all is in the winter. In a normal year we can go 4 to 6 months with zero rainfall. What can you grow with zero water? Until irrigation systems were developed, the land was worthless for farming. The water rights are fully allocated so no new land can be developed even if you could get ownership from the feds.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
Prepare for the next ice age

Pfffftttt.

That's so 1970.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

We get less than 10" of rainfall/yr and almost all is in the winter. In a normal year we can go 4 to 6 months with zero rainfall. What can you grow with zero water? Until irrigation systems were developed, the land was worthless for farming. The water rights are fully allocated so no new land can be developed even if you could get ownership from the feds.

That's about what we get.

Less this year of course.

I am MAGA.
E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
How’s that working out Jim. We get about 14 here with snow and all. A lot of the west has no Soil. A lot of sand and no rain. Can’t raise Schitt without irrigation. They dried up the deep water in Colorado where a bud of min3 used to farm. No more farming there and he ended up pumping his house water over a mile. Edk

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
The desert in Texas used to grow grass.

It wasn't because it was a rain forest.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Eventually, there will be famine, disease, war, die offs… Vest we can do is be on top when it happens.

Consider, in the 70’s (I think) Norman Borlaug (sp?) genetically modified wheat to produce a strain that could grow in arid environments, staving off famine in places like Africa. Nice going, Norman. At least someone. Trust told me that once. Do your own research.

Get ready. Chits coming, sooner or later.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
The desert in Texas used to grow grass.

It wasn't because it was a rain forest.

Texas used to be underwater.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Florida was about 2.5 million. Present population is about 22.6 million, or approx. 850% increase.

With all them fatass old people running around it's no wonder ya gots all them sinkholes.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.