Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Kwg, If I recall, the big question being asked that was never satisfactorily answered was, OK, build the mega port, (using NAFTA to get rid of ILWU and Teamsters, 100% Mex labor and trucking) build the freeway....but where does the freeway terminate? Apparently it went north into a sparsely settled corridor in flyover country with very little local market and then the freight would just go onto I-40 and I-80 for east/west distribution to the big markets. Adding a whole lot of ton/mile to the cost of the imported products.

I-35 is being widened every day. I'm guessing the DOT will stop widening it somewhere in Minnesota. I know it's being widened all the way to Ames Iowa right now. That is Highway 30, the Lincoln highway. My guess is Mexicans can be hired for a lot less money making it affordable to truck it that far north.

kwg

Trucking is expensive, and will stay expensive as long as drivers are required. When you add it all up, the cost of the driver on a semi-truck is well over $1.00 / mile. About $0.85 in direct labor costs (wages, taxes, medical insurance, other benefits), about $0.20 in HR overhead (supervisors, recruiting, compliance etc).

Then there's the Indirect costs of building and maintaining the truck to accomodate the driver (sleeper, AC / Heat, APU, windshields, etc, etc). A truck could be built approximately 40% or so cheaper if it didn't have to have driver accomodations, roll over standards, etc. Then, at some point, the driver less truck will be safer, reducing insurance costs.

Next, capital utilization will be much higher when drivers aren't needed. Drivers can drive no more than about 60 hours a week. A driverless truck can run two and a half times that, and doesn't need a weekend off.

Finally, because of the continuous operating nature of a driver less truck, it can run slower, reducing operating costs by cutting fuel costs by almost half as well as maintenance costs and adding equipment longevity.

Today, trucking can't even begin to compete with rail on cost. It competes on flexibility, reliability and speed of delivery. Putting a big mexican port in will not be economically viable until trucks don't need drivers anymore.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
No and I stated I could not comment on whats going there.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Send the cargo ships to FL. DeSantis will figure it out and create more jobs over it.

#stupidcommiefugks

Last edited by local_dirt; 10/17/21.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by killahog

But you did comment on it.

R
ribka Online Sleepy OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

your union shop steward won't give your permission?

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by ribka

Did you read my comment I work into and out of a Rail yard in Chicago do you really think I have a (Shop Stewart) that has jurisdiction over a port in Los Angeles. The point I was trying to make is people’s should actually try researching some of [bleep] before reposting it and commenting on it as fact based,
l

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Did you read my comment I work into and out of a Rail yard in Chicago do you really think I have a (Shop Stewart) that has jurisdiction over a port in Los Angeles. The point I was trying to make is people’s should actually try researching some of [bleep] before reposting it and commenting on it as fact based,
l

A group of us fish farmers buys a container worth of supplies out of Taiwan, once or twice a year. We just got a container delivered last week. The driver waited four hours to get loaded at the Port of Long Beach.

Do you have Drayage / clean truck requirements at your rail yard? Are you subject to AB5 rules?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

[/quote]

Trucking is expensive, and will stay expensive as long as drivers are required. When you add it all up, the cost of the driver on a semi-truck is well over $1.00 / mile. About $0.85 in direct labor costs (wages, taxes, medical insurance, other benefits), about $0.20 in HR overhead (supervisors, recruiting, compliance etc).

Then there's the Indirect costs of building and maintaining the truck to accomodate the driver (sleeper, AC / Heat, APU, windshields, etc, etc). A truck could be built approximately 40% or so cheaper if it didn't have to have driver accomodations, roll over standards, etc. Then, at some point, the driver less truck will be safer, reducing insurance costs.

Next, capital utilization will be much higher when drivers aren't needed. Drivers can drive no more than about 60 hours a week. A driverless truck can run two and a half times that, and doesn't need a weekend off.

Finally, because of the continuous operating nature of a driver less truck, it can run slower, reducing operating costs by cutting fuel costs by almost half as well as maintenance costs and adding equipment longevity.

Today, trucking can't even begin to compete with rail on cost. It competes on flexibility, reliability and speed of delivery. Putting a big mexican port in will not be economically viable until trucks don't need drivers anymore.
[/quote]

You have an incredible head up @ss problem. See a shrink to see if your brain is functioning. I see you would rather these truck bots make millions for some rich jackass and put millions of people out of jobs. The short shortsightedness of your "idea" is that once you replace everyone with robots who will have a job and pay for said products being shipped? On another issue who would be at fault when one of your truck bots kills someone? And by the way dumbass what mode of transportation do you "think" (ha ha) moves materials from train terminals to final destinations? Trucking and Trains actually work together not against each other. You are a blithering idiot.

Last edited by rickt300; 10/17/21.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Dutch

l

A group of us fish farmers buys a container worth of supplies out of Taiwan, once or twice a year. We just got a container delivered last week. The driver waited four hours to get loaded at the Port of Long Beach.

Do you have Drayage / clean truck requirements at your rail yard? Are you subject to AB5 rules?

[bleep] you and the AB5 rules your stupid fuQ. Those rules are part of the problem. Maybe the biggest part of the problem.

R
ribka Online Sleepy OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

l

How many illegal aliens do you have in your brain dead union?

Unions help the working and middle class. lol

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can someone help me find some logic, any logic, in Ricky's responses? I'm not quite sure where the arguments start and end?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Can someone help me find some logic, any logic, in Ricky's responses? I'm not quite sure where the arguments start and end?

That logic is your head is so far up your @ss Obamacare will not pay to have it removed. Or possibly your IQ is so low there is no reason to remove it, dumbass.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

AB5 set off a "Triggered" response. LOL

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I highly doubt it’s the unions at the port causing this. Getting union workers to work is easy, throw money at them. Since I don’t think there are any kind of union demands being made right now I’m much more inclined to believe the multiple reports of California’s anti trucking laws being the crux of the problem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never, ever, not even once, seen any union actually contribute to more productivity or output.
Unions have always been & always will be about more pay & more members for less work.

Show me some examples of being wrong.

MM

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Pat85

LOL

I had not heard of AB5 but I looked into and I can see where some people may definitely not like AB5. Personally it sounds to me like a government overreach. I'm not sure what AB5 has to do with the port stoppages though. Can someone fill me in?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I highly doubt it’s the unions at the port causing this. Getting union workers to work is easy, throw money at them. Since I don’t think there are any kind of union demands being made right now I’m much more inclined to believe the multiple reports of California’s anti trucking laws being the crux of the problem.

I think the article described much more than not working enough hours, though that was part of it. I think the core issue he seemed to describe was a balance of power problem between employees and managers and customers.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Robots are coming to the logistics industry. I'm not saying I want it to happen, but it is coming. If not in LA then in competitors somewhere. Logistics is a global industry by definition.

Last edited by OldHat; 10/17/21.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by Pat85

LOL

I had not heard of AB5 but I looked into and I can see where some people may definitely not like AB5. Personally it sounds to me like a government overreach. I'm not sure what AB5 has to do with the port stoppages though. Can someone fill me in?

From what I glanced over in one of the links provided in one of the posts AB5 states if a company pays an independent contractor by 1099 , the independent has to meet the criteria of a legit business. The Government would rather the company withhold the taxes and pay their matching contribution rather than chase after these independents for the taxes owed.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (007FJ, 1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.