Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Leftist colleges are gonna hate this documentary....

Please don't feed the trolls!
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Yeah, but how you gonna get laid at a (non-existent) trade-school kegger party???

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Trade schools a lot like college as far as not everyone is cutout for it. I was an IBEW electrician I got out of it for something with less travel. There’s pluses and minuses to it for sure. There weren’t many guys in it that grew up absent a dad. Guys that grew up with divorced parents sure, but almost all had a dad or other male role model that was active in their life. Most trades are a tough field for guys that grow up not learning how to do physical dirty work or how to work with tools.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Yeah, but how you gonna get laid at a (non-existent) trade-school kegger party???

And then there’s that too! If more woman had looked like the one in the pic above I might still be in the trades LOL.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I traded school for sex and drugs - Look at me now!

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Took a 1080 he course in Electricity when I was in high school 11-12 grade, Half day at school other half learning the trade. Got out and got my degree in EE. Worth every penny of time spent.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I went to apprentice school two nights a week for 5 years, worked 10,000 hours of hands on to complete my apprenticeship.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Youd be surprised how many females went into welding. We hired a bunch right out of Hobart and Lincoln. Welders are hard to get. These seem pretty damn good at what they do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
I went to apprentice school two nights a week for 5 years, worked 10,000 hours of hands on to complete my apprenticeship.

Same here except the schooling was one day a week every other Thursday for 8 hrs. The IBEW paid for the schooling minus the books and I missed out on a days pay. Overall it was a good deal. My grandfather was a pipefitters for a major chemical manufacturer. I wound up working for the same company that my Grandpa worked for but in a non trades chemical processing role. My trades experience got me my foot in the door and credit for better starting pay and additional time off.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I could get behind Chloe.

It would be my dream job, and I'd get to end my day fulfilled.

Every day.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Someone hast to work.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You won't hear those rejections after you graduate Princeton, Yale, Harvard, USC, Stanford, Berkeley, Northwestern, etc., no matter how liberal they lean. The fraud is on all the gradates that went to "college" and didn't get distinguished from all the other plebians that also went and got their degree from a third-rate state college in some place like Iowa or Colorado.

Unlike "trade school," a university education doesn't primarily impart practical skills or knowledge. It's main function is to bestow upon the graduate a title of nobility that grants them the priviledge to be considered for a lordship or a dukedom. The Constitution in the US forbids granting of titles, so that has been the workaround ever since.

Just going to Yale doesn't qualify a graduate though, because there are all those token diversity admissions and charitable scholarships and so on, but a interviewer can look at a candidate and their resume and discern that right away and of course they need token diversity hires too so they might consider that.

The problem is, the Progressives got the idea that they could sell a plan to bring every schmuck up to the socioeconomic level the stats were showing for university graduates by 'expanding' access to higher education, beginning with the GI Bill. That massively increased the demand for 'college.' For-profit colleges popped up to grab GI Bill money while selling their graduates short on a 'diploma.' The demand for state colleges and universites caused massive growth, and the result is basically watered-down prestige and distinction. If they get their way with student-loan forgiveness and free tuition, the distortion will be even more extreme.

Some students are looking to enter a profession or career where a graduate-school degree is a requirement (doctor, lawyer, etc.), and forgoing college isn't an option. Even so, the liberal-arts colleges aren't likely to improve the employment and career outcome for someone who attends a college lacking in major prestige.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by pahick
Youd be surprised how many females went into welding. We hired a bunch right out of Hobart and Lincoln. Welders are hard to get. These seem pretty damn good at what they do.

I think you mean factory welders not welder, welders.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by pahick

I think you mean factory welders not welder, welders.

[Linked Image from acegif.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
You won't hear those rejections after you graduate Princeton, Yale, Harvard, USC, Stanford, Berkeley, Northwestern, etc., no matter how liberal they lean. The fraud is on all the gradates that went to "college" and didn't get distinguished from all the other plebians that also went and got their degree from a third-rate state college in some place like Iowa or Colorado.

Unlike "trade school," a university education doesn't primarily impart practical skills or knowledge. It's main function is to bestow upon the graduate a title of nobility that grants them the priviledge to be considered for a lordship or a dukedom. The Constitution in the US forbids granting of titles, so that has been the workaround ever since.

Just going to Yale doesn't qualify a graduate though, because there are all those token diversity admissions and charitable scholarships and so on, but a interviewer can look at a candidate and their resume and discern that right away and of course they need token diversity hires too so they might consider that.

The problem is, the Progressives got the idea that they could sell a plan to bring every schmuck up to the socioeconomic level the stats were showing for university graduates by 'expanding' access to higher education, beginning with the GI Bill. That massively increased the demand for 'college.' For-profit colleges popped up to grab GI Bill money while selling their graduates short on a 'diploma.' The demand for state colleges and universites caused massive growth, and the result is basically watered-down prestige and distinction. If they get their way with student-loan forgiveness and free tuition, the distortion will be even more extreme.

Unless a student enters a profession or career where a graduate-school degree is a requirement (doctor, lawyer, etc.), the liberal-arts colleges aren't likely to improve the employment and career outcome for someone who attends a college lacking in major prestige.

There’s a lot of truth there. It isn’t by accident that everyone working in DC went to the same few schools and knows one another.

The other ripoff is that K-12 cost a few thousand per year per student. When the same student goes to college it cost tens of thousands per year per student. If anything the college students being adults and not needing supervision and no reason that almost everything could’ve be done online with one instructor teaching an unlimited number of students should cost less. The government has a monopoly on “education.” The government sets the degree requirements needed to enter an occupation, owns most of the colleges and universities, sets the price and then loans out the money to get the degrees while making sure that they’re about the one loan that you can take but never file bankruptcy on.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ve had a couple of young guys talk to me lately about becoming electricians after they’ve been doing factory work for a few years. I told them to look at the local trade schools and see if it’s what they want. Also as far as welding goes my granddaughter got a job welding trailers right out of high school and has since got a new job making $30 bucks an hour. Pretty good money for a 20 year old.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
There is honest work in the trades, and there is the potential for high income. On the other hand:

Some of the trades have physical demands that many people cannot meet over a long career. One of my neighbors was a mechanic for a big commercial airline, and another one was A&P certified and worked in that trade for some time. The first one had to change careers in mid-life and switched to accounting for the last 15 years before he retired. The second went into plant management as he got older.

The trades are subject to economic cycles. A lot of them are not "recession-proof." I know guy who was a journeyman finish carpenter, but he switched to EMT>Paramedic>Firefighter after the last housing bust. He's recession proof now.

The trades come with low occupational prestige. I don't personally think less of plumbers or HVAC technicians, but our society does. The Harris Poll has been gauging "occupational prestige" since at least the 70's, and while the perception of some occupations have changed substantially, the trades have never garnered high esteem. I know welders that work in nuclear. They make more money than most doctors. Lots of tradesmen become contractors and own their own business and make a fortune. Even so, money can't buy 'class.' Just look at Jeff Bezos or Mark Zuckerberg.

Not everyone's goal for education is to "get a job." I would hope that there are some people, even a lot of people that don't make it the primary goal of their life to just hold a job and make money. Some people are fortunate to already have money, and others don't need a lot. Personally, I find no appeal at all in the politicians that sell their agenda as "job creation." I can think of a lot of things to do to keep people busy. That's not what I want out of life.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Third rate Cal Poly SLO ME from '85 that struggled with finding a career. Stanford was close...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Some of the trades have physical demands that many people cannot meet over a long career.

Definitely. We have one welder who just hit 50yrs with the company. Most either move on long before that, or die. An inspector also just hit 50 yrs. Most people hit 37-40yrs here. But not in the trade they started in. Most bid into something more comfortable as they get older. A few went into management, unfortunately those folks dont last. They get rid of management when their benefits get too steep.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is honest work in the trades, and there is the potential for high income. On the other hand:

Some of the trades have physical demands that many people cannot meet over a long career. One of my neighbors was a mechanic for a big commercial airline, and another one was A&P certified and worked in that trade for some time. The first one had to change careers in mid-life and switched to accounting for the last 15 years before he retired. The second went into plant management as he got older.

The trades are subject to economic cycles. A lot of them are not "recession-proof." I know guy who was a journeyman finish carpenter, but he switched to EMT>Paramedic>Firefighter after the last housing bust. He's recession proof now.

The trades come with low occupational prestige. I don't personally think less of plumbers or HVAC technicians, but our society does. The Harris Poll has been gauging "occupational prestige" since at least the 70's, and while the perception of some occupations have changed substantially, the trades have never garnered high esteem. I know welders that work in nuclear. They make more money than most doctors. Lots of tradesmen become contractors and own their own business and make a fortune. Even so, money can't buy 'class.' Just look at Jeff Bezos or Mark Zuckerberg.

Not everyone's goal for education is to "get a job." I would hope that there are some people, even a lot of people that don't make it the primary goal of their life to just hold a job and make money. Some people are fortunate to already have money, and others don't need a lot. Personally, I find no appeal at all in the politicians that sell their agenda as "job creation." I can think of a lot of things to do to keep people busy. That's not what I want out of life.

Agreed with that also.

It is a “low occupational prestige” career to most teens. Not many kids say that they want to be a fitter or sparky when they grow up and it’s mostly dirty physical work but when you’re 22 years old and making better pay and bennies than most college grads and without college debt while doing something that actually needs done and have a real skill set that translates to building and doing things around your home Vs just talking out your azz because you have a degree it isn’t all that hard to find a date on Friday night.

It definitely beats up your body and is not recession-proof. It’s one of the first fields to feel a recession and layoffs and travel often come with it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (338rcm, 160user, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,723 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,610
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.