Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
The cost of education does not equate to the quality of the end product.

Liberal Arts degrees should be outlawed in the US or at the least, no student loans should be allowed for a trash degree. The first year of trade school should be free and student loans thereafter should be interest free. It would put millions of inner-city thugs to work. A hand up vs a hand out.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Up here journeyman electricians are base salary just about 100k yearly. Other trades near that as well. Add in some overtime and your over 100k no problem. Not bad when school is no hinderance or massive debt.
Nephew asked me about 18 years ago what to do, I told himElectrical. He went to trade school, worked and saved, we flipped a few houses for extra income he bought/sold improved what he lived in I think 3 times now and is not yet 40 with a net worth of 1.4 million. He’s still churning full time for a major commercial electrical contractor and with overtime earns nearly 130k. Darn those trade schools.

As a comparison his older brother of three years took the exact same route and even better doing long stints in the Arctic oil facilities for very good money. That nephew cannot save a dime, nor will work any more than he is forced to. He has zero to his name and net, and only a pension some day to look forwards to. You get what you put in as they say, trades or college. ( unless you get into government )

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
The cost of education does not equate to the quality of the end product.

Liberal Arts degrees should be outlawed in the US or at the least, no student loans should be allowed for a trash degree. The first year of trade school should be free and student loans thereafter should be interest free. It would put millions of inner-city thugs to work. A hand up vs a hand out.

I could get behind that.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by funshooter
They should have NEVER taken the Technical programs out of High School.
Welding and Machine shop are the only reasons I stayed in school and graduated.

When they took the Technical programs out of High School the took the intensives of 1/3rd of the students to stay in school.

this is only my thoughts but.
1/3rd of society are brainiac's and can work behind a desk.
1/3rd are competitive as in sports
&
1/3rd work with their hands Technician type work.

we need the brainiac's to figure stuff out
&
We need the Technical people to build the stuff the Brainiac's dream up.
I personally do not need the Sportsman types but that is just me.

I started shop in Middle School and Continued through High School and went right out of High School to a Fabrication Shop Hired practically threw my Welding Instructor in High School.
9 1/2 years of that and I became an Inspector.
Never stopped Fab'ing Steel and 32 years later I am Fab'ing Steel more than I am Inspecting because of the pay.

Bring the Tech. Programs back to High School and watch the Drop Out Rate decrease a bit because it will give 1/3rd of the Population more of a reason to stay in school.

Also My Experience with Women Welders is that they fight harder to get and keep their jobs and they are better welders than the men for the most part. That is just my experience though.

I think that you overrate the brainiacs. I went to the second best university in my state MSU. I was wait listed to the best UM. It’s mostly just upper income kids pushed to go their but of average intelligence and average at best work ethic. An engineer is an engineer and tough to BS through and ditto for similar fields most everything else is BS.

Full disclosure “I have a high aptitude for learning” but am dyslexic as [bleep].

We developed a program with Oakland University which is somewhere up in Michigan. Never heard of the school until we started working with them. Now they graduate engineers that have experience with our processes and tools, and we hire a few of them every year. The others can find jobs in our field with our competitors or partners if they want.

The trick is whatever you choose to do, you can't coast thru it. Earn that GPA, take on those extra projects, get that internship experience - and you're going to land a high paying quality job when you graduate.

I saw what you did there with that dyslexic thing too - heh

Last edited by KFWA; 10/18/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
There are several large tech companies including Google and Amazon who have done exactly the same thing in Romania and other central European countries. They help form the curriculum for what they need and then hire the graduates. Pretty much solves their on the job training learning curve.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are several large tech companies including Google and Amazon who have done exactly the same thing in Romania and other central European countries. They help form the curriculum for what they need and then hire the graduates. Pretty much solves their on the job training learning curve.

We have a similar program with Purdue. I have two recent Purdue grads working for me now.

But its a fight to get colleges to do that. We are working with Clemson and Virginia Tech, we have state funding to support it, a request by the governor to the schools to act on it and the backing of the largest employer in the state - and those schools still won't work with us developing a curriculum. They are very particular about letting people come in and setup shop on their site I guess.

Its become so frustrating we've reached out to an NAIA school to work with us.

Last edited by KFWA; 10/18/21.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by pahick

Production welders vs skilled trade welders. There is a difference.

Considering what theyre building heads to the killing fields and saves lives...id say theyre skilled.

Had a millwright friend of mine who worked at welding tank bodies at the warren tank plant before coming to work at GM as a MW apprentice. Sure as fúck wouldn't want a single-purpose welder doing a hot pierce on a gas train. YMMV...

I give no argument that some are more skilled than others,

But you wouldn’t want your family doctor cracking open your skull either…..

You haven't met my family doctor. I look forward to HER doing a prostrate exam... grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Production welders vs skilled trade welders. There is a difference.

Considering what theyre building heads to the killing fields and saves lives...id say theyre skilled.

Had a millwright friend of mine who worked at welding tank bodies at the warren tank plant before coming to work at GM as a MW apprentice. Sure as fúck wouldn't want a single-purpose welder doing a hot pierce on a gas train. YMMV...

I give no argument that some are more skilled than others,

But you wouldn’t want your family doctor cracking open your skull either…..

You haven't met my family doctor. I look forward to HER doing a prostrate exam... grin

I've given my wife many a prostrate exam..................... they are fun!

Prostate!?!?!?!? Not so much!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
A very positive tilt could be made by forcing colleges and universities to cosign all their student loans.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I worked in a high school for 6 years as an SRO. I can attest to the loss of shop classes and the pushing of college diploma's. It's been 12 years since I retired. I certainly hope the attitude has changed. I still have not seen new lathes, mills or welders show up yet. but, we do have a community college in town and it would be possible to work a deal with them, if they would.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kwg020
I worked in a high school for 6 years as an SRO. I can attest to the loss of shop classes and the pushing of college diploma's. It's been 12 years since I retired. I certainly hope the attitude has changed. I still have not seen new lathes, mills or welders show up yet. but, we do have a community college in town and it would be possible to work a deal with them, if they would.

kwg

a friend of mine who is in education and I were talking about renting out space at a local trade school and run a for profit program where anyone interested could sign up to take these two week mini classes. I thought there would be interest to charge a couple of hundred dollars and teach classes like basic welding, plumbing, carpentry, electrical work, roofing, basic car maintenance, computer building and repair, mower maintenance - topics like that. They might be 4 - 8 classes that would be 2 hours each with hands on.

I think we ultimately decided that we'd be competing with youtube and not pull it off but I still like the idea.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bring the Tech. Programs back to High School and watch the Drop Out Rate decrease a bit because it will give 1/3rd of the Population more of a reason to stay in school.

Yup .... No one pushes the trades anymore and they're dying for good tradesmen out there. No one either knows about the work or wants to do that work. All the kids now want to do IT. The work is in the trades with good jobs and good pay.

Also My Experience with Women Welders is that they fight harder to get and keep their jobs and they are better welders than the men for the most part. That is just my experience though.

You're right about the women welders. I inspect the welds here in the refinery. Most girls here are great welders. I think they take more pride in what they do because some men don't think they should be doing that work. See more and more in it all the time working with the pipefitters and boilermakers.

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
IIRC student aid began after Russia beat us into space.... and then it was only for students going into fields deemed critical to National security

https://www.bestcolleges.com/blog/what-is-stem/

STEM comprises the following major areas of study:

Natural, physical, and life sciences, including medicine
Computer, electronics, and other technology-related disciplines
All types of engineering
Mathematics, or any field involving a heavy application of mathematical principles

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That was one of the best produced short videos I have ever seen. Kudos to Chloe, Mike, and Mr. Kyosaki. And gosh Chloe is pretty!

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mike Rowe for head of education department....

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When I was in middle school, we had retard inclusion in the shop class

Joan Glick, a waterhead chick. She got her hand caught between the guard on the belt sander.

Pain is a universal language even if youre barely smarter that a maple tree.

Could hear her screams over the noise of that 3-phase Powermatic planer.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

a friend of mine who is in education and I were talking about renting out space at a local trade school and run a for profit program where anyone interested could sign up to take these two week mini classes. I thought there would be interest to charge a couple of hundred dollars and teach classes like basic welding, plumbing, carpentry, electrical work, roofing, basic car maintenance, computer building and repair, mower maintenance - topics like that. They might be 4 - 8 classes that would be 2 hours each with hands on.

I think we ultimately decided that we'd be competing with youtube and not pull it off but I still like the idea.

Our local community college does something like that. It is not as diverse as what you are suggesting. It's mostly welding, State mandated schools and computer skills. I have done the welding class once but I want to go back an improve on my TIG skills. Unfortunately, at my age it's only for my use and not for hire. But, it's out there for others who want to jump into a second career or part time gig.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Youd be surprised how many females went into welding. We hired a bunch right out of Hobart and Lincoln. Welders are hard to get. These seem pretty damn good at what they do.

I think you mean factory welders not welder, welders.

Nonsense... I've worked with a lot of female welders in a lot of different scenarios- from clean room welding exotic chemical tubing to pipefitters and all of them have been excellent welders and good workers. As an electrician I would need them to weld something in place for me at times or work with them to install a shared piece of equipment and they were always professional and their work was better than most guys who call themselves welders in shops...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Started with Pop in the concrete business as forced child labor, one brother a lawyer, the other a doctor (neither wanted anything whatsoever to do with the family concern). I stayed in the business and got the college diploma cause everyone in the family said you had to have it these days (early 70s).

Younger brother (lawyer) went to work as a prosecutor for the IRS, he retired after 30, was always mad that I made more money than him, (no balls, no blue chips) has a comfortable retirement. Older brother (Dr.) is a millionaire and I am thankful everyday I am not him.

His first house in Memphis, he wanted a privacy fence put up, but thought the local contractors were too expensive. He called and asked me if I could get the material and come put one up for him, so I said sure I will work the weekend with a couple of guys and get it done. That Sunday afternoon, his second wife (the nurse that got her Mrs. degree at the hospital he did his residency at) asked me to check the light fixture in the garage, they had asked the homebuilder to look at it, but he had not sent anyone back for a couple of weeks, I asked if they checked to see if there was a bulb in it...they both assured me that was not the problem, I got a ladder and took the globe off and of course there was no bulb...

I paid attention in life, and took 4 years of Vo Ag. learned the basics of welding and electrical, in fact I learned a lot of skills there that I still use all the time. I also took 4 years of math and all the science I could get in high school as well (my Mother was the teacher), CLEPed out of required math at college, (which I paid for myself, no debt at the end). Was out in 3 years from a "second rate" UT school. Over the course of my construction life it did get me a job once in Texas as none of the other applicants had a degree, and all the Chemistry I took has stood me in good stead.

What I see as a need for positions to fill are electricians and certified welders. That and equipment setters/riggers, of course we build steel mills, galvanizing lines and aluminum mills.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by KFWA

We have a similar program with Purdue. I have two recent Purdue grads working for me now.

But its a fight to get colleges to do that. We are working with Clemson and Virginia Tech, we have state funding to support it, a request by the governor to the schools to act on it and the backing of the largest employer in the state - and those schools still won't work with us developing a curriculum. They are very particular about letting people come in and setup shop on their site I guess.

Its become so frustrating we've reached out to an NAIA school to work with us.

India is overrun with that. The students there don't get degrees. They get Microsoft and Cisco certifications. Their cirricula are set by Google, Amazon (AWS), Dell/EMC/VMware...

It's good that you run into resistance with that. You're a government contractor, funded by taxpayers and public debt, using state funding (more taxes and public debt) to support Federally-funded universities (more public debt) to fulfill the governor's request. You're basically a Communist outfit and operations like yours is what's ruining the US economy -- and the talking heads are all proposing more of the same to solve the problem. Exactly what wouldn't be better if your public-debt funded and big-government directed operation just shriveled up and died?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

606 members (10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,207 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,724
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.