S
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
IMO, the guard is optional but the push sticks are mandatory. Build a nice outfeed table to go along with your new saw....tons of ideas for those on youtube. Mine mostly provides a flat surface in addition to the saw table to pile junk on. laugh

It does not enhance safety/work quality when you are pushing something through the saw and trying to keep it from falling off at the same time.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dad was a contractor -carpenter and I spent many days being the pull-man on the other end of a table saw. Dad used a push stick and still has all his fingers. A lease mate of mine that was a few years older showed up missing two and a half fingers. Screw that . The older I get the more I adhere to sensible safety practices. Been lucky too many times and figure I need to maximize what little I might have left.

Does anyone use those saws that automatically cut off when coming in contact with flesh? Amazing things.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RJY66
IMO, the guard is optional but the push sticks are mandatory. Build a nice outfeed table to go along with your new saw....tons of ideas for those on youtube. Mine mostly provides a flat surface in addition to the saw table to pile junk on. laugh

It does not enhance safety/work quality when you are pushing something through the saw and trying to keep it from falling off at the same time.

ya i use push sticks for table saw and jointer. i am still designing my work table and am going to incorporate an outfeed table into it. still working on the layout of the whole shop actually. i got pretty close on paper but after using it for a while i find that the "flow" is off somewhat. need to move some heavy benches around and finish the wiring. nothing like a new shop.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You ever have that table saw fire a piece of wood into your guts like a shotgun??

lol

IC B2

R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
You ever have that table saw fire a piece of wood into your guts like a shotgun??

lol

yes, on my old saw without the guard. hence the question on the guard. also had it blow a piece apart one time that scared the living fuggen hell out of me. trying to get too much mileage out of a cheap dull blade while cutting PT lumber. surprising the force a 10" blade on a table saw has. my 12" sliding mitre has gotten my attention a couple times too.

My diploma is a DD214
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

lol

Yep
I also was cutting thin 1/4" strips for future projects and hit a knot running threw the piece where I could not see it.
The piece flew up and my instant reaction was to push the piece down from hitting me in the head.
the blade was about 1/16" past the top of my cut.
My fingers went threw the blade or actually the blade fillet the tips of 3 of my fingers.
It was like my hand was hit with a 100 Lbs. sledge hammer.
Blood spurted out of one of my fingers like a squirt gun.
Called the wife to come home from work after I wrapped my hand up in a white towel. It was the first thing I found.
Went to the ER and the desk nurse said she needed to see the damage. I told her I really did not want to take the towel ( now full red) off until the Doc. could see it.
She insisted
So I pulled the towel off and the blood squirted across the room.
She about fainted.
I told her that this was the good finger the other are worst.
There was another guy in front of me in line that ran a Router bit completely threw the center of his hand.
That guy was in real bad shape.

When the Doc came into help me out. I pulled the red towel off of my hand and the Doc just about passed out.
he was useless and I told him that I would scrub the injury's up with the scrub brush they gave me and I started joking with him to calm him down.
He sewed me up the best he could.
Xray's showed the Cerf of the saw blade going right threw the tips of all 3 fingers.

When I went back for a check up to see how things were healing.
I was talking to the Nurse and she told me that that was a very bad day.
The Guy that ran the router bit threw his hand was more than likely going to loose the use of his had totally the router bit chewed up most of the bones in his hand.

I talked to her about the Doc that worked on me and she told me that it was one of his first days working in the ER and they made sure that he got all of the real gory stuff as a joke on him.

She remembered me because of my joking. They all thought I was going into shock and they thought that they were going to have trouble with Doc and me.

I told her that I seen the Doc was freaked out and I was trying to ease his freak out so that he would not screw up on me and make thing worst.

Then I started joking with her to show her what kind of sick and twisted person I am.
She got a big laugh out of it.

I still say no Guards on my table saw.
I was using a push stick when this happened to me Crap happens and my push stick hand was uninjured. It was my other hand that pushed the piece down from hitting me between the eye's.

The thing that sucks was I did not even have a project that I was working on. I was just cutting thin strips for future projects.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I didn't operate the table saw. Guys working for me did. A couple of times they removed the guards. I nicely told them I would fire them if they did that again. Last thing I need is a stiff OSHA fine and a lost employee.

Another trick was to operate a piece of equipment we were building right next to an aisle with the skins off. Anyone who tripped walking by could put their hand on 480 volts. The guys had put one of those flimsy yellow tapes over the equipment. I put stop to that stuff too.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I didn't operate the table saw. Guys working for me did. A couple of times they removed the guards. I nicely told them I would fire them if they did that again. Last thing I need is a stiff OSHA fine and a lost employee.

Another trick was to operate a piece of equipment we were building right next to an aisle with the skins off. Anyone who tripped walking by could put their hand on 480 volts. The guys had put one of those flimsy yellow tapes over the equipment. I put stop to that stuff too.

Shocking.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Pass!

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jon Tester! Badge of honor. Stupid [bleep]

R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

that looks like mine thats dedicated to abrasive disks. cheap schit b&d i bought when i got my first house and i've been trying to kill it ever since. i cut about 60 feet of corrugated tin roof with it a few years ago and it got hot as hell but is still going. later my neighbor came over and said his old lady was pissed because i ran that thing non-stop for about 40 minutes and it was obnoxiously loud

My diploma is a DD214
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The guard on a flush cur toekick saw save me a lot of blood.

Always better safe, than sorry.

Last edited by wabigoon; 10/17/21.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I never use a guard on any of my power tools. Cutting as much aluminum as I have with a table saw and sliding miter saw you learn quickly to not lift the tool till the blade has stopped.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave

Pass!

LOL

That there saw is a Circle Cutter......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't use guards.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
no guards, except on the itty-bitty trim saw....

Last edited by huntsman22; 10/17/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Gotta apologize Slummy.
Mentioned the circular saw in an earlier post, just noticed your blade.

I'm not a construction guy, just get by.

Wife wanted a tile backsplash, I bought a diamond blade for the
circular saw. Eventually, there came a time that I couldn't use it, and the
little hand tool for oddball cuts didn't work. So, flip the circular saw
upside down, clamp it in place and zip tie the switch.
Then shape the 1" x 1" tiles on the spinning blade.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I don't use guards.....

This made my fingers hurt.
Been there
OUCH

R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
dang that looks like it hurt. and bled like a pig i'll bet.

My diploma is a DD214
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 51 invisible), 1,923 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,727
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.