Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Anyone using STARLINK as your internet? I would like to upgrade from the POS system we have now which is Cellone, basically a mobile hotspot. The other option i have here is Frontier communications that is limited to 1MB upload and download speed, Frontier has not ungraded the system for 15 years, been in the house 20.
I am asking for any feedback about the STARLINK system, good or bad.

Thanks

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do not, but I looked into it

I think there is a start up fee - for the beta testers it was $499. I don't know if that is still it or not

but I did see someone who had it and did a speedtest on it and was getting 80mbps. That is , IMO, as fast as any regular household needs to do everyday internet stuff.

I also read its only going to be effective for people that live in rural areas because of the shared bandwidth of its design. Subscribing to it , as is, in a densely populated area is going to mean the speed is going to noticeably drop during peak usage times.

Last edited by KFWA; 10/18/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They are about to go nationwide with coverage, and have already begun work on V-3 of the receiver sets, which are greatly improved over the V-1 sets. That's the good news. The bad news is that they have about 100,000 customers on backlog to get receivers and service. You might as well sign up, because by the time they get to you, all the hardware and coverage will be cutting edge.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I remember right, Broomd posted his speeds when he got his receiver, they were impressive.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm on the waiting list for our place in NE WI. We're right on Lake Michigan, very rural, and any cell service is nonexistent. Hopeful and waiting...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Plenty of user YouTube videos out there documenting their results.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
They are about to go nationwide with coverage, and have already begun work on V-3 of the receiver sets, which are greatly improved over the V-1 sets. That's the good news. The bad news is that they have about 100,000 customers on backlog to get receivers and service. You might as well sign up, because by the time they get to you, all the hardware and coverage will be cutting edge.

My understanding is that the first generation box costs Starlink twice what they charge for it, and the new box is supposed to be cheaper. Add in the usual disclaimer about chips and supply chain issues, and it’s not surprising it’s a bit backed up.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Last I read, it was only available in a narrow band between the 43d and 50 something parallels. That's well north of AZ. They keep adding more satellites, though, so maybe it's a wider band now. A lot of the articles on the web aren't dated so it's hard to know which is the latest.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I'm on the waiting list for our place in NE WI. We're right on Lake Michigan, very rural, and any cell service is nonexistent. Hopeful and waiting...

I was being cheap and didn’t want to pay $99 on a deposit up front. I was stupid. Month ago I paid up and got on the list. Now just waiting for my number to come up. I haven’t heard any negative reports on it from people that have it in my area.

MAGA
RVB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had it for two months now, and it's been a game changer......I was on [bleep] LTE internet as well. It's easy to set up and I often get speeds well over 100 mb/s (sometimes over 300) down with pings usually from 25-35 ms. No more spinning circles either while trying to watch a movie on Netflix etc.

Cheers,

R

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Last I read, it was only available in a narrow band between the 43d and 50 something parallels. That's well north of AZ. They keep adding more satellites, though, so maybe it's a wider band now. A lot of the articles on the web aren't dated so it's hard to know which is the latest.

That was my understanding as well. Not sure though.

I'm in the middle of nowhere and have fiber speeds better as as good as populated areas. I'm good to go.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm a few miles outside of a small town of about 2000. We have a small independent phone company that keeps up with things. We now have fiber optic internet. We have 25 mbps which is enough to run 2 computers and Netflilx on the tv at the same time. They have much faster service, too, if it's needed for businesses.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I'd bet on Elon Musk to win, and soon. The stuff they've launched so far is a multi-billion dollar investment and they will want to recoup their investment.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by hitandmiss
Anyone using STARLINK as your internet? I would like to upgrade from the POS system we have now which is Cellone, basically a mobile hotspot. The other option i have here is Frontier communications that is limited to 1MB upload and download speed, Frontier has not ungraded the system for 15 years, been in the house 20.
I am asking for any feedback about the STARLINK system, good or bad.

Thanks

We have Frontier phone/internet service and I absolutely would not recommend it. It is the sorriest excuse of a phone/internet service I have ever seen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm in the middle of no where..I signed up in July .... 99 bucks down ...then wait....the sats for the north pole launched mid Aug......

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I signed up for Pacific Dataport. Their SAT coverage should give us northern dwellers better reception.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They had a two-month gap in launches while they upgraded all the follow-on satellites to have laser interconnects. That will eventually remove the need for ground relay stations like they have now. Starlink birds are short lifetime; they bring them down after about two years so the replacement ones are always of the latest technology. The next launch scheduled is another set of 51 polar satellites, all with laser links. No firm date yet.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
And to think.....for the cost of all this space garbage zinging around you could have all been on fiberoptic by now.

Gee, rockets are neat.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
And to think.....for the cost of all this space garbage zinging around you could have all been on fiberoptic by now.

Gee, rockets are neat.

Believe it or not, there is actually a world outside of the US.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Gee, rockets are neat.

Believe it or not, there is actually a world outside of the US.

Hopefully we can spend some tax dollars for their benefit too.

I am MAGA.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
125 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,672
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.