Print Thread
Hop To
P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Next year's hunting season plan will be Antelope Fest in both Wyoming and Montana. Antelope is my all-time favorite tasty critter. just barely beating out Elk.

Going to change things up a bit this time by hunting with a mono bullet for the first time - the GMX. My son will use the factory Superformance 120 gr. GMX ammo in the .26 CM since the barrel likes it so much (it happens to hate the Outfitter version btw).

I'm going to however handload the 90 gr. version for my custom .25 Roberts. That barrel has always produced best groups with all my other loads at max velocity.

But, with a mono bullet and specifically the GMX, are there different rules-of-thumb for MV and groups? Does the GMX perform best with full-tilt loads or with loads dialed back some?

Thanks,
Pud

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
HR IC

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've only used Barnes and the old Winchester Failsafes, but "my experience" with monos is faster is better! I must be one of those individuals that have weird tastebuds as I just "cannot" eat antelope! It has to be just me as almost everyone I ask about them just loves them! Too gamey for me. Elk and Axis deer are my faves. I know how to take care of the meat, and where I hunt them the processing store is 15 miles away! ha I always get them processed and give away the meat. It is beautiful meat though! Good luck to you!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 10/18/21.
P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
My first taste of antelope was way back when, and at first bite deer dropped to # 3 behind antelope and elk. So good in fact I don't even bother with deer anymore unless I'm specifically head hunting.

Good feedback on the mono bullets. The Hornady load data is for +P loads so I'm gonna start there. IIRC +P spec's at 58 thou psi, and with a modern action, barrel, and +P brass I 'aint shy about max loads..

thanks,
pud

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck to you! I’ve been planning next years loads since August. I can still do the winter caribou hunt, but I’m not due to lack of vacation time and not wanting to freeze my butt off. I did that 5 years ago and shot one in -30F temps in Nov.

Right now I’ve hopefully found a second bear load for my .338 WM, and a good load each in my .280 and .260 Rem. I know the .280 shoots with most factory ammo, but I’ve got very limited reloading experience for it. The .260 Rem. They thing doesn’t like factory or reloads I’ve fed it to date.

P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Hunting in -30F temps? eek

No thank you.

IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Puddle

I'm going to however handload the 90 gr. version for my custom .25 Roberts. That barrel has always produced best groups with all my other loads at max velocity.

But, with a mono bullet and specifically the GMX, are there different rules-of-thumb for MV and groups? Does the GMX perform best with full-tilt loads or with loads dialed back some?

Thanks,
Pud

I run em through my Bob and yes, it has worked very nicely at top speeds. I’ve utilized RL-15, IMR-4350, Ramshot Hunter, and Ramshot Big Game, all of which gave excellent velocity & accuracy.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
638 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,860 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.