Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

Believe it or not, there is actually a world outside of the US.

Enough already, reality is everything south of the border but north of the Hi-line.

Nothing else matters.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
And to think.....for the cost of all this space garbage zinging around you could have all been on fiberoptic by now.

Gee, rockets are neat.

Indeed, I found out the last time I went to walmart.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We have some friends in a tiny town in SW Idaho. They have satellite internet and WIFI calling. Last time we were there, I tried to put my phone on their WiFi and it really screwed something up. I take to take it in to a shop when we got home to get it to work with regular calling. They're really watching starlink. It should greatly improve their service.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We have some friends in a tiny town in SW Idaho. They have satellite internet and WIFI calling. Last time we were there, I tried to put my phone on their WiFi and it really screwed something up. I take to take it in to a shop when we got home to get it to work with regular calling. They're really watching starlink. It should greatly improve their service.

It's 1st come 1st served...tell them to get on it ! ..they will not slow the network down to get another sale...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by akasparky

Enough already, reality is everything south of the border but north of the Hi-line.

Nothing else matters.

You must have Hughes Net?

I am MAGA.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'm a few miles outside of a small town of about 2000. We have a small independent phone company that keeps up with things. We now have fiber optic internet. We have 25 mbps which is enough to run 2 computers and Netflilx on the tv at the same time. They have much faster service, too, if it's needed for businesses.

My farm is in a rural area outside a town of about the same size. I’ve been on the starlink waiting list for over a year. The local phone/cable provider is about to beat them with getting fiber to me. Local provider will be cheaper too

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dutch
If I remember right, Broomd posted his speeds when he got his receiver, they were impressive.

Yeah Dutch, still kickin' azz with the Starlink. We stream anything we want; nary a glitch or buffer ever....
Love our starlink!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
They had a two-month gap in launches while they upgraded all the follow-on satellites to have laser interconnects. That will eventually remove the need for ground relay stations like they have now. Starlink birds are short lifetime; they bring them down after about two years so the replacement ones are always of the latest technology. The next launch scheduled is another set of 51 polar satellites, all with laser links. No firm date yet.

Wait, WHAT? Gen2 starlink was supposed to be 30,000 satellites on completion. He’s going to replace 15,000 satellites PER YEAR!?!?

42 per day, 365 days a year?

I have a hard time thinking that big.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just got it installed into it's permanent spot this afternoon. We have a lot of 150ft tall trees surrounding our place. Had to get it pretty high to reduce the obstructions. I'll know in the morning how obstructed it is but so far it looks good (takes 12 hours to get report).

Went from bonded DSL at 16Mbs down/ 1Mbs Up to 50-100Mbs down/15-10Mbs up.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Obstructions are still there but much reduced. Very usable.

We'll see how it does on video conferencing. Might have to keep the old DSL for a bit and get a load balancing dual WAN router that will allow for fast failover and failback.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dutch, that 30,000 satellites may refer to the total to be flown over the life of the program. I think they need a bit over 2,000 at any one time to have near-global coverage.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They've got FCC permission for 15K (also read 12K) and International Telecommunication Union for up to 30,000. Hard to tell how many they'll actually have up at one time.

It's clear that the FCC is banking on SL. Every objection to change to the license (orbital plans) has been approved.

They've also got many of the rural broadband licenses here in the US (including our area). So I think they'll be putting up a lot more to allow low dropout frequency in forested and mountainous areas.

Carpe' Scrotum
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This will completely change the rural landscape related to IoT.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's a pretty good video about global access and the constraints thereof.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by devnull

we were talking about this a few weeks ago

I think you're going to see white flight in the suburbs to the country. Those 5 acre tracts of land are going to be in high demand out in the country

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by devnull

we were talking about this a few weeks ago

I think you're going to see white flight in the suburbs to the country. Those 5 acre tracts of land are going to be in high demand out in the country

This^^^^^

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Can someone explain why there has been a problem with Starlink coverage in Southern USA while Northern states have coverage.

Geosynchronous orbits are over the equator. 22,236 miles over the equator. Every other orbit crosses the equator.

Rocky???????????

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Does weather affect your receiving capabilities like it does to Satellite TV?

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Idaho, the guy in the video above explains it quite well. For a visual, look at this real-time map of where Starlink satellites are. You'll note how close together they are at the northern extreme of orbital path, and how far apart they are nearer to the equator. With fewer satellite "in view" from any point on the ground, the less reliable or possible coverage will be. LINK (Zoom in and you'll see that this is a live display, every satellite shown is moving.)

StarLink isn't geosynchronous; they orbit at about 550 km. That's the whole point of Starlink. Geosync communications involve a significant latency or "lag" as the signals pass up and down, a lag too great for lots of uses.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Can someone explain why there has been a problem with Starlink coverage in Southern USA while Northern states have coverage.

Geosynchronous orbits are over the equator. 22,236 miles over the equator. Every other orbit crosses the equator.

Rocky???????????

They're not in geosync. The first shell is in a 53d(?) inclination. This makes them only go to about 60d N/S. This also makes them more dense as they approach thier N/S extremes and the least dense over the equator.

Take a look at this link. It will show it better than I can describe it.

https://spacex.moesalih.com/starlink

Carpe' Scrotum
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10ring1, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,418
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.