Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looking for a new pair of boots for elk hunting. Need a warm and waterproof boot that is durable and tough. What works?

Last edited by Esox357; 10/16/21.
BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well with all of us being different, and with what works for me might not work for you, my feet sweat a lot,
and I like Rockies, Gore tex 1600 thinsulate, wit a cotton liner sock, and a wool sock over that!
I have to have ankle support, and a good lug under my feet for soles!
I also add a dr. sholes pad inside! I go one size bigger, and it works for me!

There's a lot of good boots on the market, and a lot of choices!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Kenetrek, Crispi, Lathrop…

BUT - each may fit your foot a bit different. I’ve got duck feet - short and wide. The Kenetreks have been the best out of the box for fit and support over many years. I’ve got 100s of miles on mine off season and in - still going strong.

The Crispis have been similar in the leather pair, but my Idaho lls are stiff and less comfortable than I expected.

Plan on putting 50+ miles in these boots to fully break them in.

I use the Lathrop insoles in all.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For my wide toes, I find that Keen boots are the best fit. For 95% of my elk hunting, uninsulated 6" boots are about ideal. Our seasons are mostly in Oct before it gets real cold. This year we'll be hunting in Nov so it could be colder. I have a pair of Columbia insulated boots for that. They aren't great for comfort but they are dry and fairly warm. I don't wear real cold weather boots enough to spend $200 for good ones.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
For most of my elk hunting in Idaho, I like Lathrop & Sons Mountain Hunters and Hanwag Alaskan GTX; both uninsulated, 8”. I sit some and glass, then move and repeat. I find with good wool socks my feet don’t get cold down into the mid/low teens. Both are terrific in steep, rocky country (also great for chukar hunting). I use Lathrop & Sons insoles in both.

https://lathropandsons.com/collections/l-s-brand-boots/products/lathrop-sons-mountain-hunter

https://www.campsaver.com/hanwag-alaska-gtx-hiking-shoes-men-s.html

When it is bitter cold or in snow, I switch to Danner Canadians for their insulation. I don’t wear them often.

https://www.danner.com/men/hunt/can...g7-jR8wIVh-azCh04wgxJEAAYAiAAEgKZX_D_BwE

As to waterproofing, I have yet to see any “waterproof” linings really work. I’d prefer they didn’t have them. I use Obenauf LP in the outside.

Last edited by GF1; 10/17/21.
IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I have really narrow feet so the lace-to-toe Danners that can be had in a narrower boot work well for me. I have one pair with Vibram soles and another with air bob soles that I alternate if hunting from a camp which would make that feasible.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Danner

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Hanwag Alaska GTX and Hanwag trappers

Pitter Patter!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
US made Danner"s.

Good Shooting!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For people with narrow feet Lowa makes some models in narrow. https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/narrow-wide-widths

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BeanMan
For people with narrow feet Lowa makes some models in narrow. https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/narrow-wide-widths

Thanks for that , BeanMan! I need 15 narrows, hard to find!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't wear "boots" a lot. Exceptions are snow, rain, and maybe snowshoeing.

I still use an older pair of Danners, maybe Pronghorns, for snowshoeing. I don't like them as much as my first set of Danners. Those came from a USAF base in Washington and may not be commercially available. Uninsulated, flat black, regular vibram soles, and a perfect balance of loose enough / tight enough that they provided support without cutting off circulation. The Pronghorns, if that's what they are, are too tight at the ankle for me, restrict circulation if I wear thick socks, so my feet get cold despite the insulation.

What I mostly wear are Merrell. I have a couple pairs of mid-height, waterproof shoes. The Phaserbound have good ankle support. Like 'em but I have to limit distance because they have very vertical backs to the heel and I have bone spurs so I need a deeper heel pocket. The waterproof midheight MOABs don't have as much support but they have deeper heel pockets so I can wear them further.

Still, none are as comfortable as the low top MOABs, not with my heel bone spur problems. Any time I can manage it, I wear those despite the weather .. goretex gaiters with waterproof low tops is my real go-to setup. Obviously no good wading creeks but there aren't many creeks I can't step across where I elk hunt.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Kenetrek Mountain Extremes have made hunting much more enjoyable for me. I have a ton of foot pain so hiking always sucked, and adding a pack was just that much worse. But the Kenetreks, ungodly expensive though they are, made it actually comfortable and enjoyable to pack around chasing elk. Warm and dry and fully supportive.

R
rdd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For my low volume flat feet and a narrow heal the only boot for me is the Meindl comfort fit Hunter. I have tried a lot of the big name boots and Meindl is the only one that keeps my feet in good shape.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

As I mentioned in a previous thread, boot fit is so darn personal that what works for one will cripple the other guy. I could make a dozen suggestions and none of them may be a good recommendation for somebody else.

I have a moderately high arch, a high instep, wide across the forefoot and need a big toebox--both width and height,, and a moderately narrow heel. I have learned to buy the wide size these days.

My Asolo Sassalongs are one of my two pairs of go-to hunting boots currently. Asolo no longer makes the Sassalongs, but their Hunter is almost identical (which has also been discontinued it appears). Sierra Trading Post has the Hunters available at a good price in limited sizes, but no wide sizes that I saw. One thing I really prefer is the rubber rand that goes all they way around a boot--protects the foot better and allows the boot to have a longer waterproof life span. Alas, most boots don't have that.

Full disclosure: I own two pairs of different models of Asolos, and in typical European fashion they have a very stiff sole, and their boots require break-in time.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
B
As mentioned every foot is different. For me the Crispis have been high quality, an excellent fit, and worked well hunting elk and mule deer in the mountains of central Idaho. I have a medium width ball, narrow heel, high instep and a generally low volume foot.
Hope this helps.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Kinda like askin what kinda woman you like. Try em, pick what you like

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Limmers

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Us made Danner

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I don't wear "boots" a lot. Exceptions are snow, rain, and maybe snowshoeing.

I still use an older pair of Danners, maybe Pronghorns, for snowshoeing. I don't like them as much as my first set of Danners. Those came from a USAF base in Washington and may not be commercially available. Uninsulated, flat black, regular vibram soles, and a perfect balance of loose enough / tight enough that they provided support without cutting off circulation. The Pronghorns, if that's what they are, are too tight at the ankle for me, restrict circulation if I wear thick socks, so my feet get cold despite the insulation.

What I mostly wear are Merrell. I have a couple pairs of mid-height, waterproof shoes. The Phaserbound have good ankle support. Like 'em but I have to limit distance because they have very vertical backs to the heel and I have bone spurs so I need a deeper heel pocket. The waterproof midheight MOABs don't have as much support but they have deeper heel pockets so I can wear them further.

Still, none are as comfortable as the low top MOABs, not with my heel bone spur problems. Any time I can manage it, I wear those despite the weather .. goretex gaiters with waterproof low tops is my real go-to setup. Obviously no good wading creeks but there aren't many creeks I can't step across where I elk hunt.

The Metro Hi Boots work really well for snowshoeing (with gaiters); waterproof and warm:

https://www.sorel.com/c/men/collections/cheyanne/?pos=1

Swap the laces with 100% polyester laces.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
145 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,443 guests, and 780 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,897
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.