Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 79S
I’ll be watching. I just snagged a little 7-08 Featherweight and need a quick load to get it in deer hunting shape for the fall. Seems to shoot my reduced load of H4895 and 120 BT real decent.

Let me dig up my notes tomorrow on my load info for my 7/08 in a featherweight. It was shooting 140 Nosler bt pretty good.

Thanks John.

Here you go. The 140 BT load was a good one. I almost used this rifle and load for my sheep hunt in 2018. But I went and got all nostalgic and used a 270 Winchester instead.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Was just thinking, it might be harder to come up with a bad 7/08 load than a good one. The 7mm Mauser Short.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

WW Brass
CCI 200
H4350 46.5grs
150gr Lapua Scenar

2.885” oal

Velocity - 2689fps

4.1 mils put me on a 12” plate at 620yds this evening. I only had 2 misses and I knew they were when the trigger broke. Shooting off a backpack and no rear support.

Sounds great. Do you think the majority of the shots would put them in the boiler room of a deer at that range? If not, maybe a 550 yard load for such critters... When I was shooting my 300wsm and 7mm rem mag in the canyons for practice, I was making sure I could put them on a paper plate at 800 yards. The shots I took on bucks were from 600-700 yards, while making sure there was very minimal wind. The updrafts coming out of the canyon from the river would push the bullet off the target during practice as much as 12" at 800 yards. Those scenars are slick pills. I'm imagining you are thinking of taking some long shots with that rifle.. The key point in your post was that you knew you had missed as soon as you pulled the trigger. That's what a lot of practice will tell you. Shooting long range can be quite rewarding and also quite frustrating. My 7mm08 Tikka is very lightweight and is not set up for long shots, nor have I found a great load that I'd feel comfortable shooting at that distance with. My 6.5 CM superlite is the same way. If I had to shoot a longrange buck again, I'd pull one of my CTR's out. Damn, I wish I could turn one of those into a 7mm08....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
I’ll be watching. I just snagged a little 7-08 Featherweight and need a quick load to get it in deer hunting shape for the fall. Seems to shoot my reduced load of H4895 and 120 BT real decent.

Let me dig up my notes tomorrow on my load info for my 7/08 in a featherweight. It was shooting 140 Nosler bt pretty good.

Thanks John.

Here you go. The 140 BT load was a good one. I almost used this rifle and load for my sheep hunt in 2018. But I went and got all nostalgic and used a 270 Winchester instead.

[Linked Image]

Good stuff right there. My Tikka didn't like that stiff of a load with the 150gr Hornady ELDX. 45gr gave pretty good accuracy though:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Close to moa. I'm hoping it does better with the 140gr TTSX or the LRX's I have set off to the side for it.. J, I know you and Pharm like that magnum primer. Is it worth considering for that powder? I may try some CCI250's, if you think that will make a difference. I also have 3,000 BR2'S to play with.. In the group above, I was using CCI200's..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Thanks John.

[Linked Image]

Good stuff right there. My Tikka didn't like that stiff of a load with the 150gr Hornady ELDX. 45gr gave pretty good accuracy though:

Close to moa. I'm hoping it does better with the 140gr TTSX or the LRX's I have set off to the side for it.. J, I know you and Pharm like that magnum primer. Is it worth considering for that powder? I may try some CCI250's, if you think that will make a difference. I also have 3,000 BR2'S to play with.. In the group above, I was using CCI200's..

Only time I used magnum primers was with this powder. I tried regular large rifle primers. The results were not that great, so I tried magnums better results.

Last edited by 79S; 09/23/21.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Thanks John.

[Linked Image]

Only time I used magnum primers was with this powder. I tried regular large rifle primers. The results were not great if I remember right.

Thanks J. I know Pharm has said the same thing as you have. I just have a hard time shying away from the CCI200's and BR2's. I'll give the CCI250's a try... Damn, that means I better go out and prep the brass I fired off yesterday. I'll do some testing tomorrow..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

WW Brass
CCI 200
H4350 46.5grs
150gr Lapua Scenar

2.885” oal

Velocity - 2689fps

4.1 mils put me on a 12” plate at 620yds this evening. I only had 2 misses and I knew they were when the trigger broke. Shooting off a backpack and no rear support.

Sounds great. Do you think the majority of the shots would put them in the boiler room of a deer at that range? If not, maybe a 550 yard load for such critters... When I was shooting my 300wsm and 7mm rem mag in the canyons for practice, I was making sure I could put them on a paper plate at 800 yards. The shots I took on bucks were from 600-700 yards, while making sure there was very minimal wind. The updrafts coming out of the canyon from the river would push the bullet off the target during practice as much as 12" at 800 yards. Those scenars are slick pills. I'm imagining you are thinking of taking some long shots with that rifle.. The key point in your post was that you knew you had missed as soon as you pulled the trigger. That's what a lot of practice will tell you. Shooting long range can be quite rewarding and also quite frustrating. My 7mm08 Tikka is very lightweight and is not set up for long shots, nor have I found a great load that I'd feel comfortable shooting at that distance with. My 6.5 CM superlite is the same way. If I had to shoot a longrange buck again, I'd pull one of my CTR's out. Damn, I wish I could turn one of those into a 7mm08....

Other than the 2 that missed my grouping was pretty good. Inside the boiler room on an animal for sure. That said I don’t think I’d shoot at an animal much over 400yds and everything would need to be near perfect for that. But, confidence in the setup, absolutely. I think I’m the weak link here. laugh

My tikka is a T3x stainless, SWFA 6x in Sportsmatch 84’s, 7.5lbs all together I think.

I actually got a good deal on the Scenars and will probably only use them for practice. I have 200-250 140 Accubonds I’ll hunt with, they shoot great out to 650yds too though.

A paper plate at 800yds is dang good. I think we are going to try 800yds next trip, going to have to do some sawing to make a spot but it should be fun. Hopefully I’ll hit earth from that distance. Lol

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It does my heart good reading this thread.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Many good powder and bullets options for the 7mm08 - almost too many combinations.

A summary of my experiences, and recommendations to those getting started with 7mm08 handloading:

A 140grain cup and core bullet should be your foundation. I prefer Sierra Pro Hunters, but Sierra Games Kings, Hornady Spire Point, and Hornady BTSP, all work 95% interchangeably. These bullets lack plastic tips, and give you more case capacity. They are also less expensive.

A 140 Sierra Pro Hunter from a 22" barrel, 2,800" OAL:
*47.2 grains of IMR4350 will go 2,830fps; the smallest groups I have shot with this rifle are this load; IMR4350 does lose about 1fps per degree F, but point of aim and accuracy don't seem to change; I shot a doe a few season ago when it was 32F out - she didn't seem to notice - took a few steps and fell over
*49.5 of H4350 runs about 2,880fps and gives 1/2" groups; velocity and point of aim do not change with temp; the downside is it is compressed
*47.5 of Big Game runs about 2,850fps and groups are less than 1"; I have tested several primer brands with BG, and WLR worked best for me; others on the board seem to prefer WLRM, so you may have to experiment
*RL17 is jekell and hyde; I won't list a powder charge, but stop at 2,920fps; I have shot 3/8" groups several times with this load, but you have to be really careful with working up on the top end - pressure escalate quickly! If you normal charge increment is 0.5 grains, cut that down to 0.3. Measuring case head expansion helps; also - do not interchange bullets once you find a powder charge - small changes in case volume (bullet length) seem to have an effect
*47.0 of RL16 goes 2,850fps and prints 3/4" groups
*48.0 of IMR4451 hits 2,800fps and less than 1" groups
*W760 shoots 1.5" groups from 47.0 to 49.0 grains - all the same point of impact - top end velocity is 2,850fps; it does lose velocity with temp, bot POI doesn't change

140 Nosler Partitions can be substituted somewhat seamlessly if you prefer to hunt with them. Load work up with standard cup and core bullet, then validate charge/velocity/pressure with partition (mini work up session).

Speer's 145 offerings seem to work well with the above powders, you will just be using slightly less powder.

If you want to try longer bullets, Nosler AB, Barnes, Hornady SST, etc, H4350 and RL16 may give you compression issues if you are limited to 2.800" OAL. BG or RL17 are dense powders, and would be my recommendations to avoid capacity issues.

Almost any medium burn powder works in 7mm08 with a 140, but velocity may be slightly lower (2750fps or so); Varget, RL15, IMR4064, etc

With the component shortage, just try and find a 140 and a medium powder - it will do the job.

Last edited by gte901m; 09/24/21.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Being forced to change to lead free. Currently shoot a 120gr NBT under N140 in a 20” barrel for 2,850fps

I have a choice of 110gr and 120gr TTSX and have N540, N550 and RL17.

Use is big deer out to 300yds and I’m a fan of expansion and would prefer not to have to shoot shoulders

I can get hold of big game if required

Last edited by OttoG; 10/15/21.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by OttoG
Being forced to change to lead free. Currently shoot a 120gr NBT under N140 in a 20” barrel for 2,850fps

I have a choice of 110gr and 120gr TTSX and have N540, N550 and RL17.

Use is big deer out to 300yds and I’m a fan of expansion and would prefer not to have to shoot shoulders

I can get hold of big game if required

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../10512756/Optimal_MV_for_120_gr_TTSX_out

49.5 grains BG got me 3050 fps and great accuracy. Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primer. Low ES, around 20. Tikka stainless, so 22 1/2” barrel. Much more got me ejector marks.

51.5 grains BG with 120 BT got me 3126 fps and even better accuracy. Same primer.

2.805” COAL for both.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tag

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 7-08 love that Big Game powder with Magnum primers. Well yeah, it's a Tikka.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
My 7-08 love that Big Game powder with Magnum primers. Well yeah, it's a Tikka.

Huh, I might need to try that.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

WW Brass
CCI 200
H4350 46.5grs
150gr Lapua Scenar

2.885” oal

Velocity - 2689fps

What rifle / action are you shooting these in? Because of mag constraints I can't get near that COAL. I am kissing at 2.887" Mag constraints bring me to 2.830" Can't get much powder in the case with the Scenars doing that. My rifle shoots the 120 BT really well but I wanted to play with the Scenar a little since they shoot so good in my 6.5 Creedmoor.

Rifle is an older Rem Varmint Special with the heavy barrel. I have shot it out to 550 yards with the 120 BT's despite the low BC

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

W
WEL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by 79S

My classic shot mediocre, but it was a damn nice rifle. Got it for a great deal. Someone else wanted it more than I did, so I sent it down the road:

Those fwt's are nice rifles. You 2 are good at working up loads. I'm sure you will find a great load. I pulled the old Nikon off of my 7mm08 today and swapped it out for a New Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. I've had issues with the factory Tikka rings in the past, so I swapped those out as well. Now back to the drawing board with the 140gr TTSX. The most promising loading was right at 2,820 fps with Big Game powder. I'm hoping to try that bullet on a buck this year. Dug 2 of those bullets out of the dirt bank and they weighed 130 and 130.8 gr's. 93-94% weight retention. Wondering how they will do on a thin skinned deer or elk...

The 140ttsx is a dense bullet. Would be great for elk. Launched at 3200 from a 7 mag just not much terminal damage on deer sized game. At 7/08 velocities it would be even less so. This has been my experience with them.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by shootem
Was just thinking, it might be harder to come up with a bad 7/08 load than a good one. The 7mm Mauser Short.

I definitely achieved this yesterday with some load testing that I did. The best group I got was with 120 Sierra pro hunter 42.5 grains of IMR4064 WLRP 2.800 COAL . To my surprise the worst group I got was with 140 sierra game king 47.5 grains ramshot big game WLRP 2.800 COAL and the same load with the 140 pro hunter wasnt much better. Was really hoping that the 140 pro hunter with big game would give me the same results as other have gotten but it looks like I'll be shooting the 120's and see how they do performance wise on deer where I'm at.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

WW Brass
CCI 200
H4350 46.5grs
150gr Lapua Scenar

2.885” oal

Velocity - 2689fps

What rifle / action are you shooting these in? Because of mag constraints I can't get near that COAL. I am kissing at 2.887" Mag constraints bring me to 2.830" Can't get much powder in the case with the Scenars doing that. My rifle shoots the 120 BT really well but I wanted to play with the Scenar a little since they shoot so good in my 6.5 Creedmoor.

Rifle is an older Rem Varmint Special with the heavy barrel. I have shot it out to 550 yards with the 120 BT's despite the low BC

Mine is a Tikka T3x and I’m using Mountain Tactical mags.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Loaded up some 120gr ttsx with CCI 200, once fired Rem brass, 44.5 gr. R15 and 50gr big game for my featherweight today, everything the same except powder. R15 4 shot group .75" and big game all 4 touching. later on will see what they do at 2 and 300yds.

Last edited by DANNYL; 06/13/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
47 gr of StaBALL 6.5 and 120 gr Nos BT. I’ve used LR and LR magnum primers and can’t really tell a difference accuracy wise.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,544
Posts18,453,297
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.