Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Shooting fast double action and front sight comes off. The last I saw of it was a blur moving fast up & out. Looks like it was
pinned through a slot in the small solid rib above the barrel. The pin was broken off flush with each side of the interior of the slot. No sign of pin location on exterior of rib. Got a feeling replacing this might cost some bucks. Anyone heard of this before or idea of repair cost?

BP-B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't think I've ever seen a pinned front sight on a model 10. I've only seen them integral to the barrel.

Of course there are lots of things I haven't seen, but I wonder if it was some janky gunsmithing that fell apart.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It's a police turn in I bought back in the 80s.I've shot it a lot with no problems till now. You might be right on the janky gun smithing but seems like there would be some sign of the pin on the outside of the barrel/rib. The barrel bluing's about worn off with holster wear there.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 07/02/21.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Call Scott and have him fix it.

Tell him “Captain Dave” says hi!

He’s an American Pistol Smith Guild member and a great guy.

http://www.sdmfabricating.com/

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
They were all pinned on the heavy barrels. The skinny barrels had the blade forged integral. They pinned them and polished the ends flush during final finishing before being blued. It’s very difficult to redo one and have it be invisible like the factory did. It may end up being cheaper and easier to get a used barrel and replace it if the finish on the rest of the gun isn’t pristine.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info. After looking at the cost of old 10-6 barrels and what labor would probably cost to either put another barrel on or replace the sight I think I'll leave it as is.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Tried point shooting a silhouette target with no front sight at three to seven yards. Not too good a result. For me It's a little faster than just putting the front sight on the center or head of the silhouette but nowhere near as accurate. So it's on the way back to S&W 49 years after leaving there. I was advised I'd get a call from one of their repair guys to discuss the sight replacement if they would do it and the cost. S&W sent me a prepaid Fed X shipping label that I didn't have to ask for.

I know it's an old gun with a lot of holster wear but there's never been any corrosion, the bore and cylinder chambers are fine, locks up tight and it functions perfect. I'm hoping they can/will either replace the sight or if they can't replace the barrel with one that has a sight on it. .

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Shooting fast double action and front sight comes off. The last I saw of it was a blur moving fast up & out. Looks like it was
pinned through a slot in the small solid rib above the barrel. The pin was broken off flush with each side of the interior of the slot. No sign of pin location on exterior of rib. Got a feeling replacing this might cost some bucks. Anyone heard of this before or idea of repair cost?

Typically, the front sight is milled into the steel the barrel is made from, i.e., they are one piece of steel with the barrel. I wonder if the sight on yours is an aftermarket modification.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Tried point shooting a silhouette target with no front sight at three to seven yards. Not too good a result. For me It's a little faster than just putting the front sight on the center or head of the silhouette but nowhere near as accurate. So it's on the way back to S&W 49 years after leaving there. I was advised I'd get a call from one of their repair guys to discuss the sight replacement if they would do it and the cost. S&W sent me a prepaid Fed X shipping label that I didn't have to ask for.

I know it's an old gun with a lot of holster wear but there's never been any corrosion, the bore and cylinder chambers are fine, locks up tight and it functions perfect. I'm hoping they can/will either replace the sight or if they can't replace the barrel with one that has a sight on it. .

I've sent several old Smith & Wesson revolvers to S&W for repairs, and they do a great job.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info that's good to hear.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wanna say your luck just about has to turn for the better.

I've never seen one of those fail.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hope you're right. I've never heard of one failing either. I've owned it for around 35 years and the sights have always been right on. Never any sign of them being damaged. When it happened I was shooting semi wadcutter target ammo. It's been shot a lot but seldom with +P ammo and accuracy was still as good as ever.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by TheKid
They were all pinned on the heavy barrels. The skinny barrels had the blade forged integral. They pinned them and polished the ends flush during final finishing before being blued. It’s very difficult to redo one and have it be invisible like the factory did. It may end up being cheaper and easier to get a used barrel and replace it if the finish on the rest of the gun isn’t pristine.

Does this apply to the M13, M65 and M64HB, too?

Last edited by ElmerKeith; 10/19/21.

Elmer Keith
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
Originally Posted by TheKid

Does this apply to the M13, M65 and M64HB, too?

Probably safe to assume, since the barrels are the same.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Received Model 10 back from S&W today. They can't replace sight, part not available, obsolete. Can't complain, S&W paid the freight both ways.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Received Model 10 back from S&W today. They can't replace sight, part not available, obsolete. Can't complain, S&W paid the freight both ways.

I learned something today. Did not know these were hard to replace. I did a little search and read a couple of threads on the S&W forum. No luck there, either. Odd that somebody can't make a replacement pin-on front for these for fairly cheap.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Have a good gunsmith fabricate and install a replacement.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 257heaven

I learned something today. Did not know these were hard to replace. I did a little search and read a couple of threads on the S&W forum. No luck there, either. Odd that somebody can't make a replacement pin-on front for these for fairly cheap.

They can. Gunsmiths do that sort of work all the time. The good ones, anyway.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 257heaven

They can. Gunsmiths do that sort of work all the time. The good ones, anyway.

Looks like the stainless are milled in. I have a 64-3 3" that looks like it's all one piece????

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
They look like they’re machined into the barrel but they are not. They are pressed into a key slot and pinned in with a cross pin. The pin is then dressed down and polished with the barrel, making it disappear.

It is very difficult to replicate and have the pin be invisible and of course blued guns will have to be reblued.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
708 members (007FJ, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,794 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.