Print Thread
Hop To
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have a .54 cal cap lock that I’d love to hunt with again but CA has banned anything lead. Is anyone aware on a non saboted all copper conical?

BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thor bullets might be a good option.

Semper Fi
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I see a lot of reference to Thor bullets used with in-line ML's. Are they suitable for a traditional ML with a 1:48 twist?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Loading a copper .54 cal is iffy. Do you know the twist rate is for your rifle?

Take a look here: https://www.hornady.com/muzzleloading/

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
A 48 twist is gunna be a challenge.

Copper colored spray paint is always an option.....lol.

I can't imagine how frustrating it is to live in a place where all the sudden you can't use what you've always used. In this situation, it could be very difficult to get anything copper to shoot well. I've seen some 48s shoot sabots or conials well. But it's always a short conical or saboted bullet. Copper is light so they are longer which means stabilization issues are likely.

Good luck. I really don't know what to recommend.

IC B2

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The other issue with Thor bullets is they say they don’t recommend them in a traditional ML as if one gets stuck you can’t easily remove the breech plug and you can’t get a bullet puller to work because the copper is too hard to screw into. Has anyone tried? Wondering how big of an issue this really is.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 10/15/21.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I use Thors in a fast twist flinter I built.

I unload it with a Co2 discharger. HD it on the touch hole and a quick shot of co2 sends it out. Saves me from cleaning the rifle and wasting a rather expensive bullet just to unload the rifle.

Not a big deal. Could keep it in your pack or truck incase you "dry ball" during a hunt.

Could also use the HP variety and use a ball screw I bet. I don't see why it wouldn't work with a T handle on a good rod.

I will say....in the flinter, I've killed.....2 bucks and a doe off the tip of my head. The only good results were on the doe. Broadside chest shot. Nice 3/4-1" exit. Good blood. Didn't go far. The 2 bucks, you could hardly tell they were shot. I almost left without the one. 0 blood as far as I could find. Got lucky and when I gave up, I happened to be looking at him. I was confident in the shot and spent a good while with a buddy on snow looking and looking. I found where he ran into a sapling 15-20yds from POI and felt a hit deer would do that....same story with the other buck...no blood. Actually can't remember what happened. I remember shooting a couple more times lol. I didn't butcher those deer so not 10000% what happened. Wish I did...time didn't allow.

With my Encore and a near max load of BH209 and the same bullets, performance is ridiculously good. Big entrance and exit and great damage and penetration.

My guess is the 300s and black powder are just too slow. They either pencil through or maybe they do expand but don't penetrate deep. The doe definitely looked expanded. They worked. But wast pretty on the quartering away bucks.

Maybe the 250s would be better in a sidelock.

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks. Specifically which Co2 discharger do you recommend for a #11 nipple?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I shoot Barnes Expanders . I believe they are all copper. Killed a doe this afternoon. and a Mature Buck Sat morning. I shot the shoulder on the buck and there was enough meat and bone there to really expand the bullet. he was really bloodshot. They always pass through and are accurate. Don't know what my twist is.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Can't help with a #11 nipple. I only have flintlocks. Mine has a rubber fitting on the end. I hold it tight against the touch hole and it works...imagine you'd be able to do the same.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Thanks. Specifically which Co2 discharger do you recommend for a #11 nipple?

Dixie Gun Works sells a Universal Unloader with adapters for flint, #11, musket, and 209 inline. A good piece of kit for the possibles bag

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
ive had great accuracy with a thor and a 1:48 twist. Youre outta luck for a 54cal copper full bore conical as non are made.

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I shoot Barnes Expanders . I believe they are all copper. Killed a doe this afternoon. and a Mature Buck Sat morning. I shot the shoulder on the buck and there was enough meat and bone there to really expand the bullet. he was really bloodshot. They always pass through and are accurate. Don't know what my twist is.

You shoot Barnes Expanders in a traditional ML?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
799 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12308300, 79 invisible), 3,130 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,714
Posts18,400,344
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.