Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
So I must be way out of tune with new gear. I have been hunting using the standard cordura and orange bird hunting vests, with the shell loops, bird pocket in the back and a few large zippered pockets. At the weight comes down on your shoulders. I see that many people are using "strap vests" now, which seem to be like suspenders attached to a fanny pack or "bat belt" or your gear. Are you guys using them in the field and if so, which ones are doing a good job for you?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting you should bring this up. My friend and I recently purchased two vests from Final Rise. We both got the Summit Vest System.

https://finalrise.com/

We used them for the first time last week. Previously to this both of us have been hunting with a conventional vest. Immediately we noticed the weight distribution made the gear we put into the vest feel very light! No more dragging weight on shoulders. my friend and I are very pleased with this vest. The shoulder straps are very thin so there was no issue mounting and shooting the shotgun.

I didn't order the hydration system or some of the extra bags. Friend did.

It has a many zippered pockets, multiple attachment points all over the vest for all sorts of things, even has an area where you could tuck in and hold a jacket when not in use. At this point I have not figured out a use for all the zippered pockets. It absolutely blows away that conventional vest for storage!

I used the two front pockets to evenly distribute the shells. The pouches have a zipper and a velcro flap. Both can be left open for quick access to shells or covered AND zipped when crawling under a barbed wire fence or when done for the day. I hated the old vest as shells would fall out when I stored it.

The garmin tracking handheld unit fit into a smaller pocket on the outside of the front shell bag. I attached the lanyard to one of the many D rings nearby. If I felt it was necessary I could affix a smaller bag to one of the vest shoulder straps.

The only thing I didn't like it was the large twin water bottles and holsters. I didn't like how far out the bottles sat at my sides as my arms would occasionally rub on them as I walked. I haven't tried but with all the attachment loops etc I might be able to attach them more towards the rear. Instead I put four smaller store bought water bottles in the rear game pouch as it was hot and my two dogs require occasional drinks.

I had 2 1/2 boxes of 20 gauge shells, the four water bottles, some snacks an extra light long sleeved shirt and my Garmin astro and the system was wonderful as the weight didn't bear down on me like the vest did. For some of the longer mearns hunts I know I could put in 8 bottles of water and hardly know I was carrying them. Can't say that for the old vest!!!!

I would highly recommend the Summit Vest by Final Rise

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I also bought a Final Rise late last year. I think it should work well. A guy should also look closely at Hunt Redi vests. I played with one of those recently and it is also very well thought out.

https://www.huntredi.com/

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've pretty much eliminated the vest and have gone to a stap vest in warm weather and a coat in colder weather. Mine is a Camelback Bird Hunter. I rarely use the bladder feature, I load up before I leave the truck and if it is hot ust a bottle in the game pouch for the dog and pour it into my hat for him to drink out of (cools me when I put it back on).

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Filson for last 20 years.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunscrew
This is what I have. I will likely wear out before it will. That said, it could use a better pocket arrangement. I'll likely never go back to a "real" vest. IMO the strap is more comfortable and versatile.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use a Filson strap vest for 16ga and over bulky late season clothing. For early season over just a shirt I keep 20ga shells in a more traditional Filson vest. Both were promotional gifts from an annual event.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I bought the Bird N Lite strap vest last year after my dog ruined my old conventional bird vest. It was easier for me to get the birds in the strap vest. I used to keep my e collar remote in the inside pocket of the old vest with the new one I had to figure something else out. Strap vest was better over a heavy coat too.

Isaiah 6:8

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two Filson Strap vests, one traditional and one with a mesh game bag for the warmest weather in early season

I use an Orvis all orange vest sometimes that I cut the interior shoulder straps out of to make it more comfortable when it is really cold, it cuts the wind and keeps me warm once I get going.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by pointer
This is what I have. I will likely wear out before it will. That said, it could use a better pocket arrangement. I'll likely never go back to a "real" vest. IMO the strap is more comfortable and versatile.

My sentiments too as far as preferring strap vests over traditional bird vests. I have a Filson and an LLBean vest and like both. There are other newer styles out there, so look them over and decide on what features you really need to have, e.g. pockets for hydration bladders, pouches for GPS or e-collar controllers, etc.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pointer

For Dove and Quail hunting, I prefer my Folsom strap vest over anything else. Especially in hot weather.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I use the Tenzing BV16. Adequate shell storage and game bag, extra compartments for first aid and such, plus it's hydration bladder compatible (which makes it easier to keep the pups' thirsts slaked). Nice, wide, comfortable shoulder straps aid in comfort.

https://www.tenzingoutdoors.com/catalog/product/view/id/489/s/tz-bv16/category/111/

Last edited by IANative; 10/23/21.

Life Member: NRA, GOA, PF, QF
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Last year I fould at a pheasant festival that my traditional vest shifted considerably and placed extra weight on one or the other shoulder. I also tend to be on the warm side when walking and the vest was another layer to deal with.

I picked up a Tenzing BV16 and have used it this year for sharptails, pheasants and grey partridge. I have 20+ outings with it. Positives -- easy to load birds, good weight distribution, enough pockets for shells / small camera, good carrying capability to take a jacket off and load it on the back while still having red showing --- Negative -- the only negative for me is the small water bottle carriers on the front on each side --- they are pretty much useless -- do not have tie-ins and if you place a small bottle in their climbing over stuff your leg can push it out. I added a couple of after market carriers behind the side pockets. Good investiment for me as I no longer have to deal with shifting weight at times when I go to shoot. Attached is a picture with the morning hoodie stuff in the carry compartment.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hugh
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Wow, looks like a lot of people use them. I must not be paying attention because I never seem to see these things in Cabelas or Sportsmans etc. I didnt even know that they existed. I will definately check them out. Are all the birds stored outside on loops?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Model dependent but many have game bags. I like the Quilomene I have. It could easily serve as a day pack for hunting four-legged critters too.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by Oakster
Are all the birds stored outside on loops?

I think he just did that for the sake of taking the pic. That Tenzing vest has a very roomy game bag inside.

Life Member: NRA, GOA, PF, QF
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Originally Posted by IANative
Originally Posted by Oakster
Are all the birds stored outside on loops?

I think he just did that for the sake of taking the pic. That Tenzing vest has a very roomy game bag inside.

Correct --- the birds were placed in the backstrapping just for the picture. The game bag on the Tenzing has lots of room and is very well vented allowning the birds to cool down.

Hugh
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 30338
I also bought a Final Rise late last year. I think it should work well. A guy should also look closely at Hunt Redi vests. I played with one of those recently and it is also very well thought out.

https://www.huntredi.com/

One is listed in the Classifieds. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...or-sale-hunt-redi-top-of-the-line#UNREAD

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I picked up a Browning Pheasants Forever strap vest last year because I wanted something more open for the warm days. It is better than the old style vest I had, but the back panel isn't vented so I was still sweating quite a bit last week when it was in the 60's in North Dakota. The only other problem I had was forgetting my safety glasses because it doesn't have the small zippered pocket for them like my old vest. It does have a nice pouch on the back for storing a sweat shirt when you have to shed a layer and it has a couple water bottle holders.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Been using a strap vest for past 15 years. Prefer it over the old vest style.

NRA Patron
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.