Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use an old Columbia strap vest that a buddy gave me maybe 15 years ago. He went hunt 2 times and never went back so it was almost new. I have worn the crap out of it and it is still going. It is getting a little long in the tooth but will last another couple of years.
Some years when it is really hot, I just wear a sporting clays style apron. I will admit when you get a few birds in it that it does not wear too well.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Quilomene strap vest is my go to favorite vest.

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I am using a Chief Upland this year for the first time and so far really like it. I like the modular design and being able to add accessories where you want them. With a couple of birds in the game bag it was very comfortable.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Been using an orvis sling pack/vest for maybe 6yrs. I like it because it carries the stuff I need, and with one strap my gun mount isn't interfered with.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Filson with hunter orange. Not only is it flexible for the weather, when you have different clothes you don't have to be transferring all your stuff. While I shot all different gauges, it seems like the pocket full of 20 ga. #6s would handle most of it. There were always items you just count on being there and when you are always changing, they aren't. Especially the wipe. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm also a fan of the Filson strap vest. A bonus if you hunt with vintage guns is there's no exposed snaps, zippers, buckles, etc. to scar your gun.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I used an Orvis strap vest for about 14 years then switched to a Wing Works vest when my buddy bought me one as a gift. The Orvis is very light and is a nice vest. The Wing Works will last longer than I will. It holds really large water bottles and has plent of storage. They offer custom sizing and several add on features so you can set it up to suit you.

Lots of great gear out there to pick from.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I guess I'm hard to please. Two Boyt Shell Bags (put onto one belt) with shoulder straps added the hard way. Rear view, showing the holster for the nn-pliers, in case of a bad porcupine encounter.

I love the Boyt Bags for hiking and hunting. I add an orange Cabela's lightweight game vest when bird hunting. It holds the toilet paper, emergency stuff, dog's water dish, gloves, perhaps a jacket. I can wear the strapped Boyt Bags underneath a coat or jacket just fine. Fastening a belt over a jacket just does not work for me.

I can put a pheasant in each bag if I do not have the orange vest on, or two grouse. If I have to carry that third pheasant back to the vehicle then I had a great day!

Usually have the orange Cabela's vest on, though, unless the conditions force me to replace it with a jacket or coat.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Eye Dominance and the Subconscious Mind in Shotgunning

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Regular lightweight vest for me.The strap vests rub me raw in uncomfortable places.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the Filson. Only thing is I bought the model with orange, and it’s so dirty now the orange is pretty much useless. Haven’t looked into how to clean it but probably should before next year.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i have one of the Browing Bird N lite strap vests that has internal adjustment straps etc. I much prefer it to the old cloth vests and even coats

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Old school I guess when it's warm for dove and early grouse I wear a cotton t- shirt, a light flannel long sleave shirt and a regular ventilated panel game vest. When it gets cooler a t-shirt, long sleave insulated shirt with a Filson tin cloth regular vest. Really cool to cold with wind the insulated shirt is replaced with a flannel shirt with a good quality hooded sweat shirt under the same regular Filson tin cloth. I like a zippered sweat shirt to vent as needed. I don't have a strap vest but I guess I'll check them out...mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 03/29/22.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Used a Filson strap vest for years, and actually wore it out. About that time Browning offered a much lighter-weight model, probably the one Gitem12 mentioned, which I am still using, as not only is it lighter but cooler. It doesn't have quite as many pockets as I might like, but the right shirt underneath helps there--plus not carrying as much schidt!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Good to see you sticking your head out of the Out'e door writers section.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any of these higher end strap vests cinch down at the waist as well as over the shoulders to disperse the weight to both your waist and your shoulders? I've never handled one of the newer, higher end ones.

Dad and I both have one from Cabelas, probably got them 15 years ago. Lightweight, so works good from 80 degree early season or can loosen the straps up to go over heavy coats and insulated bibs when it is around 0 out.

Dad modeling his-
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
D
I've been using strap vests for bird hunting for over 30 years, grouse, woodcock, and pheasants. They just feel right to me and I think it's easier to attach electronics (dog) to a strap vest than it is more traditional designs without shoulder straps. I've owned several over the years but currently am using a quilomene san carlos, a filson tin cloth gamebag, and an old LL Bean partridge vest. It also easy to layer underneath as the weather demands because they are all size adjustable.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I like them a lot, a strap vest just works for me. Replaced my 45 year old Cabela’s version with one of the new Filson’s. The Filson was quite pricy but appears to be very well made and should last me the rest of my days.

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said, Here am I. Send me!

Isaiah 6:8
V
V
Ive been using a Q5 center fire vest for a couple years and really like it. I e also heard a lot of good stuff about the final rise vest. A good waist belt system really saves the shoulders over a several day hunt.

VAUplander
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I use one when the weather is warm , been using the same one for probably 45-46 years . Just a basic rig , pocket on back , two pockets on front with loops in them. Don't remember the brand and the tags are long gone but it is in good enough condition to last longer than I will. The shell loops lost their stretch 20 or more years ago . Once it gets cold I go to the equally old Filson coat or one sold by Nitelight that has a removable liner. If I need any kind of a jacket I don't use the strap rig.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just ordered a Final Rise Sumitt - we'll see when it gets here. Season is a month out from now.

Me

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 17 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.