-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a Win classic 338 that I bought in the 90’s. Winchester replaced it due to feeding issues that they could not repair. The replacement came with almost a 1/4” of freebore. Since I could not seat the bullets close to lands I modified the magazine replace the follower and changed the bolt stop. After all that I put it in Brown Precision stock and bedded with pilliars. Rifle shoots about 1.0-1.25 moa to 500 yards. I have been using 210 TTSX over reloader 19. This is one of my favorite rifles. I am considering adding a muzzle brake due to some neck and shoulder issues.
So after all that my question is about increasing powder charges. Since I am creating more powder space by seating bullet further out, should I be able to increase powder charges? Not sure I will, but seems like a lot of extra room in that case
Jeff

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Maybe a little but if it’s shooting that well, it might be hard to mess with. I know before I used 17, 19 and 210’s were hard to whoop. I believe all of mine hovered around 3000 FPS and the 210 PT and Swift worked excellent for me.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Truthfully life has gotten in the way for the last 5 years or so. I have not shot that rifle in that many years. Now I moved and most of my fun stuff is in storage. Time to start getting back to life and shooting
I dont remember my loads. But the good Part is I have a ton of components.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You can definitely put more powder in the case and get higher velocities. However, when you long-throat the chamber, you are much better off using longer heavier projectiles such as 225 TTSX and heavier. Velocities around 3000 fps with a 26" barrel are obtainable at normal pressure with 225 grain projectiles when seated way out using Reloder 17 and slightly less (approx. 25fps less) using H4350. Take off 25 fps for each inch less than 26". Work up slowly watching for pressure signs.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 338reddog
Truthfully life has gotten in the way for the last 5 years or so. I have not shot that rifle in that many years. Now I moved and most of my fun stuff is in storage. Time to start getting back to life and shooting
I dont remember my loads. But the good Part is I have a ton of components.

Shoot, sounds like a perfect time to work it out. If the throat is long, the other fella mentioned longer bullets doing well. A 225 TTSX over 2900 would be some sorta hard on animals.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks
I have used mostly 200-210 grain bullets in this rilfe as I mostly shot deer with it. I have tried Hornady 225 with good accuracy initially. But Hornady changed the bullet by moving the ogive. I read a article ( Mule Deer?) and the writer had same issue. Maybe need to go to 250 and another reason for a brake! I have never been a fan but with shoulder issues they do help.
I have been a 338 fan since I killed my deer. That rifle was a Weatherby Vanguard deluxe. One of the softest shooting 338 I have ever shot. Guy at the range was shooting his 338 BAR next to me one day, complaining how bas it kicked. Asked if he wanted to try mine. He couldnt believe how much softer that gun felt over his.
Jeff

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You will notice a difference in recoil between a fast 250 gn load and a faster 225 gn load, The 225 gn load is pleasant to shoot in a medium weight rifle around 9 lbs with scope, the 250 gn load gives more of a jolt. Muzzle blast ( in addition to recoil) can also contribute to developing either a flinch or a dislike for shooting the rifle if you are thinking of using a brake without ear protection.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
You will notice a difference in recoil between a fast 250 gn load and a faster 225 gn load, The 225 gn load is pleasant to shoot in a medium weight rifle around 9 lbs with scope, the 250 gn load gives more of a jolt. Muzzle blast ( in addition to recoil) can also contribute to developing either a flinch or a dislike for shooting the rifle if you are thinking of using a brake without ear protection.

I bet I will this rife is about 7.5-8 pounds as I remember in the brown prec. stock. In my younger years recoil never bothered me. I hunt in grizzle bear country and very open country so the 338 was a comfort.
One writer wrote a lille big for mice and a little small for elephant but perfect for everything in between.
Problem is now I have some many choices of calibers my favorite gets pushed to back of the safe.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I had a .338 winmag throated for coal 3.48", 250 Hornady spire points got 2900 from the 29" barrel with 75 gr Rel 22.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had to use a brake after my neck fusion (2000) it made all the difference for me. Later on, after I gristled up, I can shoot whatever, but my shoulders are good. You guys with the sore shoulders have my sympathy! But I have noticed (through the years) some brakes with the holes all around can be super loud! some are not so bad, depends on the angle? I personally like the three perpendicular holes (artillery style) kind. I also think the Limbsaver Pad is softer than most. Even a PASR recoil shield (either insert or exterior works great too.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I had to use a brake after my neck fusion (2000) it made all the difference for me. Later on, after I gristled up, I can shoot whatever, but my shoulders are good. You guys with the sore shoulders have my sympathy! But I have noticed (through the years) some brakes with the holes all around can be super loud! some are not so bad, depends on the angle? I personally like the three perpendicular holes (artillery style) kind. I also think the Limbsaver Pad is softer than most. Even a PASR recoil shield (either insert or exterior works great too.

So I just had a MRI two days ago. I dont have results yet but previous said I need another fusion maybe two at c4-5 and possible c3-4. I did a c5-6 & c6-7 in 2011.
My right shoulder has been giving me fits for the last month with little to no relief”. Doctor just called saying xray show arty in it
I hope shooting is still in my future, I cant hardly lift a gun right now
Jeff

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had a bad shoulder from a wrestling injury and needed to use a heavy caliber on a hunt I was going on. So with a bit of experimentation, I moved the rifle over slightly more towards the center of my body so my right pectoral muscle was taking the recoil. Then I started having the elbow locked down instead of up in the air which then tensed the pectoral muscle more. It worked and there was negligible pain from my shoulder joint. I kept doing this until my shoulder was better.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Run er like ya stole er!! Watch accuracy, but I’d run er hard. 338 is pretty hard to beat all the way around, especially if a guy actually hunts elk/bear/moose etc

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I lopped the barrel on my 338 to 22" and put on a Sims pad. Pretty handy rifle. I don't consider my 338 as an open country rifle when I have better options, so I wanted it shorter for timber etc.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My 338 was magnaported when I bought, I’ll probably end up chopping it off, I’ll be at 22” then

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Mine was 24" before. I don't notice a difference in muzzle blast luckily after it was chopped. I try and pop in some plugs before I shoot, but not always an option when hunting. Sitting behind a brake with no plugs is God awful.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

683 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 71 invisible), 3,085 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,584
Posts18,454,243
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.