Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Thinking about a putting a McMillan compact on a .375H&H M70 Alaskan.

It would be like the Compact Hunters Edge stock on my .30-06 Featherweight, but done in a camo or swirly finish with magnum fill (plus decelerator, pillars). The weight savings would come from the stock dimensions.

Has anyone done this for a Win 70 Alaskan in a heavier caliber e.g. .300WM, .338WM or .375H&H? How are the ergonomics and felt recoil over stock? Got pics? smile

EDIT:

To clarify, I think it's this stock pattern in a magnum fill:

https://mcmillanusa.com/stock/hunters-edge-2/

Last edited by philthygeezer; 10/18/21.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not sure that slim forend of the hunters edge can sustain a large diameter barrel contour of the Alaskan. For a Magnum M70 stock I would be looking at the Echols Legend stock or a Brown Precision.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This is a 7 magnum with a #2 contour barrel. I don’t know how big the barrel is on your 375.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I’d get some dimensions and call McMillan. They will let you know if it has enough meat in the forend.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by GuideGun
I'm not sure that slim forend of the hunters edge can sustain a large diameter barrel contour of the Alaskan. For a Magnum M70 stock I would be looking at the Echols Legend stock or a Brown Precision.

Thanks. I know that the Compact Edge fits on the standard contour Extreme Weather SS barrel. Assuming the Alaskan is the same diameter, but I could be wrong. Is it a heavier contour?

Description on the McMillan page link also says, "The slender forend will accept up to a factory magnum barrel contour or custom barrel similar to a #3 Douglas or smaller.".

I really like the Echols stock you recommend, but I don't think it's in the cards for me. Also, I know the Hunters Edge fits me really well.

Last edited by philthygeezer; 10/18/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by philthygeezer

Thanks. I know that the Compact Edge fits on the standard contour Extreme Weather SS barrel. Assuming the Alaskan is the same diameter, but I could be wrong. Is it a heavier contour?

Description on the McMillan page link also says, "The slender forend will accept up to a factory magnum barrel contour or custom barrel similar to a #3 Douglas or smaller.".

I really like the Echols stock you recommend, but I don't think it's in the cards for me. Also, I know the Hunters Edge fits me really well.

I’d run it then. I like them a lot myself. If it says it’ll fit a 3 contour it should be enough.

Semper Fi
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I have Hunters Edge on my M70 375 H&H which has a Benchmark #5 contour. I believe the stock will accommodate the Benchmark #6.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

I’d run it then. I like them a lot myself. If it says it’ll fit a 3 contour it should be enough.

Scotty, I'd figure you would be telling him to get an Echols legend. I also really like the hunters compact/compact edge stock, but its more at home with a fwt type barreled action sitting in it. One of the reasons being, the forend is quite a bit shorter, thus looks better with a shorter barreled rifle. AKA: more aesthetically pleasing.. Where the legend stock looks better and actually works better for a magnum rifle because of the ergo's. More of a parallel comb stock helps to mitigate recoil better. The OP actually asked about felt recoil. I'm with guidegun on his choices for a magnum rifle stock, those being the legend and the Brown Precision.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Scotty, I'd figure you would be telling him to get an Echols legend. I also really like the hunters compact/compact edge stock, but its more at home with a fwt type barreled action sitting in it. One of the reasons being, the forend is quite a bit shorter, thus looks better with a shorter barreled rifle. AKA: more aesthetically pleasing.. Where the legend stock looks better and actually works better for a magnum rifle because of the ergo's. More of a parallel comb stock helps to mitigate recoil better. The OP actually asked about felt recoil. I'm with guidegun on his choices for a magnum rifle stock, those being the legend and the Brown Precision.

Well, part of it is getting a Legend isn't easy, I have been waiting since June of 20 for one. The Hunters Compact may have a short forearm, but if you can get past that, it works fine. I have one on my 264 Win as well and it works like a champ there. I like the Legends, but a fella can't sit on his hands for years waiting for perfect. Brown is a good option too, never had one, but I know Bob really liked them. Might need to find something to try one out one of these days.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Stainless M70, stainless Pacnor barrel 22", cerakoted, chambered in 375 Ruger by Redneck and bedded in a mag fill McMillan Compact. Pacnor did a custom contour for it off of their #3 contour, I can't remember all of the details, but it's .650 at 22". It's right around 8.25lbs. Handles great and It wears an NX8 1-8 now. I really have no use for a .375....but it will kill a deer. If I was doing it again, I'd do it all the same except a different color stock. I've been meaning to paint that stock for 10+ years now......

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Well, part of it is getting a Legend isn't easy, I have been waiting since June of 20 for one. The Hunters Compact may have a short forearm, but if you can get past that, it works fine. I have one on my 264 Win as well and it works like a champ there. I like the Legends, but a fella can't sit on his hands for years waiting for perfect. Brown is a good option too, never had one, but I know Bob really liked them. Might need to find something to try one out one of these days.

Yes, Bob loved the Brown PoundR stock. Those are getting pretty expensive though. I lucked into the one I have and very glad too. The ergos are excellent for a heavy kicker..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Stainless M70, stainless Pacnor barrel 22", cerakoted, chambered in 375 Ruger by Redneck and bedded in a mag fill McMillan Compact. Pacnor did a custom contour for it off of their #3 contour, I can't remember all of the details, but it's .650 at 22". It's right around 8.25lbs. Handles great and It wears an NX8 1-8 now. I really have no use for a .375....but it will kill a deer. If I was doing it again, I'd do it all the same except a different color stock. I've been meaning to paint that stock for 10+ years now......

Nice.

I have a Sako Classic that feels a bit like a big brother to the compact. Grip a shade less open, bit more length, and just a bit bigger everywhere.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I just checked the Alaskan .375 against a .30-06 Extreme Weather stock and a McMillan Hunter's Edge in a sporter contour: the .375 H&H Alaskan barrel contour fits in the EW and Edge channels just fine at the forend (the sight boss prevents full seating), and the barrel boss for the rear sight looks like it would just fit into the top of the stock profile on the Edge.

So it looks like it will work. A bit like JCMCUBIC's rifle, but 25" and with a rear sight boss.

Also, the forend on the Edge is not as short as I had in my head: Very comparable to a factory Winchester Featherweight stock.

Last edited by philthygeezer; 10/23/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (10Glocks, 1973cb450, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 67 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,051
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.