Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I would also add that a headspace gauge is a very useful tool.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Whether you're bumping zero or .002, you need to have your FL die set low enough so that it doesn't squeeze the sides of the case and move the shoulder forward...which will cause the aforementioned chambering issue.

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Thanks for the info. I brought shell holder up to touch die. Then gave the die a 1/3 twist down, ran case through, it chambered. Then turn dieback about half of last adjustment. Chambered great. Loaded some rounds this way and took rifle outside and chamber rounds, perfect ! I am leaving alone, locked down die.

Ride Hard, Shoot Straight, Don't Lie !
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by alpinecrick

I find that the chamber of the rifle I'm sizing for is even more useful . . .

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by knatknocker
Thanks for the info. I brought shell holder up to touch die. Then gave the die a 1/3 twist down, ran case through, it chambered. Then turn dieback about half of last adjustment. Chambered great. Loaded some rounds this way and took rifle outside and chamber rounds, perfect ! I am leaving alone, locked down die.

Perfect!

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I find that the chamber of the rifle I'm sizing for is even more useful . . .

Yes, the sized brass still has to fit in the chamber, a headspace gauge lets me know where I'm at for future reference. Also, I've never had brass NOT chamber when the shoulder is bumped 2-3 thou, it saves on brass, and the brass fits the chamber better promoting accuracy, if it's only sized a little bit.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z

That's true. Once in a while you come across one wildly out of spec. I have a 222 that has a very tight chamber. Not sure how they got it out of the factory, but it is an excercise in wrist strength closing the bolt on factory rounds with it. I imagine that's why it barely looked used when I bought it for a song a couple years ago.

I don't have my notes on hand for the measurement, but shoulder setback is several thousandths short of a dimensional sketch. New cases come up a tad short for trim until they've been fired a couple times, since I'm loading it pretty mild.

*added*

A chamber cast can be very useful too, when you have some weirdness going on. I've got a 303 Savage that has good headspace and is accurate, but has the mostly grossly overdiameter chamber I've ever seen from the shoulder forward to the mouth. A chamber and throat cast explained why it is great with jackets and monos, but won't do much other than keyhole and lead the bore with cast bullets.

Last edited by zcm82; 10/19/21.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by LFC
I thought reloading dies were made so you couldn't really bump the shoulder....because most rifle cartridges head space on the shoulder.

What do you mean LFC? How would you reload cases over and over if the shoulder wasn't pushed back enough to chamber? Just curious what you mean by that.

If the die could bump the shoulder back then it would create excessive head space.

Okay, I am tracking what you're saying now. What you're saying is exactly correct. That's usually what happens when you follow the die instructions as laid out by RCBS. They say to touch the shellholder and add an 1/8 or 1/4 turn. In many of my rifles, this will create alot of extra headspace, meaning from 10-20 thou or more in some cases of set back. If you gradually turn the die down to nearly touching you can optimally get 2 thou or maybe a bit more less depending on your rifle which in my rifles is right. You get the slightest resistance upon chambering, but not enough that you need to force anything.

That is what is meant by Partial Length Resizing. I gave up neck sizing long ago since I want to make sure my cartridges feed and chamber the same nearly every time and I don't have an "uh oh" moment.

Good post and explanation. However, I don't think it will push the shoulder back that much. Maybe .010" in extreme cases. If it did, RCBS and other places would be fighting lawsuits for blowing peoples guns up. I've had some chambers, like on a couple 300WSM's, where I've had to set the die right down on the shell holder and turn it in a little more to get the proverbial "cam over", we always hear about. Otherwise I'd have ammo that did not fit in the chamber. Most chambers are pretty close and should be within SAAMI spec. If they were out or too big, that creates problems (excessive headspace) that could also be detrimental. I'm with you on partial full length sizing (PFL) too. You get exceptional accuracy (as you've shown in many of your posts) and your brass lasts longer than if you were to full length size your brass. No need to neck size anything, unless you are full on shooting competitively and expecting 10 shot groups in the .3's. Something I don't think a lot of guys really get.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by knatknocker

Perfect!

Not nearly, he should fine tune his die setting so there is very minimal resistance when he chambers the round in his rifle. Then he will know he is perfect. Its real easy to adjust the die for that. Leave the die set further out, run the brass through the die, check to that chamber. If it does not chamber, run the die down just a bit further. This is what beretzs and I were talking about earlier about PFL sizing your brass. You wouldn't need those neck dies, if you learned this technique..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
As long as the case was shot in the gun I just use a neck sizing die. I been doing this for years on numerous guns and have never experienced any chambering issues.

As far as thinking you're just neck sizing with a standard die it's not possible...by backing a full lenght sizing die out what you end up with is a partially sized case with a partially sized neck..

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
These days the serious competition guys are full length sizing.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I’m just a hunter who likes accurate rifles. My standards are certainly not what a serious competition guy would want. I’ve grown fond of Lee collet dies, occasionally using a Redding body die when warranted by chambering being a bit harder than usual. Almost never need the body die.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Not nearly, he should fine tune his die setting so there is very minimal resistance when he chambers the round in his rifle. Then he will know he is perfect. Its real easy to adjust the die for that. Leave the die set further out, run the brass through the die, check to that chamber. If it does not chamber, run the die down just a bit further. This is what beretzs and I were talking about earlier about PFL sizing your brass. You wouldn't need those neck dies, if you learned this technique..

That's why I mentioned a headspace gauge. Also springback varies enough that for me I bump the shoulder back so all the shells chamber. Some will have a bit of resistance, others won't, but I know how much they are actually bumped with the gauge.

I used to exclusively PFLR my hunting ammo. Then I started using Redding Nk and Redding body dies. Now I mostly use LCD's and the body dies. I can sand the mandrels to get enough tension to hold the bullet in the case while in the mag, but "tune" the Nk tension. Sometimes changing Nk tension helps, sometimes it makes no diff with hunting rounds. Plus there is no lubing with the LCD's and it's easy and quick to size brass. The LCD's really are the easy button.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 10/19/21.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 53 invisible), 2,670 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,946
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.