Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Wook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gents, I teach social studies so I know that the project is only worth what someone else is willing to pay. lol

My dad passed away 10/01/21 (self-inflicted/alcoholism) and I am probating his estate in Walla Walla, WA. (I'm located in Anchorage, AK). My dad bought the plane in 1986 and I've flown in it. I helped him work on it when we disassembled it in 1988. Three divorces and three moves later, it's still a project! It's currently housed in my dad's climate controlled 60x40 shop.

-I have the log books from 1952-1985. (I believe the date plate is there, but I'll look & confirm when I go back down (Oct. 26).
-The fuselage has double sea plane doors, extended baggage and three notches of flaps (40°). It's stc'd for a 150 horse, but I only have the factory 108 horse engine. You can remove the rear seat and sleep in the plane.
-Wings have flaps and have been modified to carry 30 gallon tanks (vs stock/standard 19 gallons). Wings were recovered (1999? and may need to be recovered-again.)
-Have all the stits/dope.
-Cub tail
-I believe that it has cub landing gear as well.
-Wheels & skis.

Thus far I've only received an offer of $5k. Personally, I feel the paperwork/log books are worth that!

I have a time crunch as his house will go up for sale 11/01. Obviously I'd like to/have to sell it prior to new owners/buyers moving in.

My question-what is the FAIR market value of this project, based on it's location? Additionally, is there an aviation program (high school or college) down there where I could donate it versus taking it in the azz for $5k?

I believe it would be worth MORE if I got it to AK. I've considered buying a 20' enclosed trailer ($6-7 k down there) and driving it up behind my dad's 1995 2500 Silverado and selling the trailer and truck when I get home, however, I'm one of the great unwashed/Untouchables and cannot get into Canada or back into the greatest state in the Union, because of the bs vax paranoia/mandates.

Considered posting it on Fascistbook marketplace, but I don't know how to advertise it in Walla Walla and not Anchorage.

Comments & opinions welcomed. Sorry for the pics: 1. they suck 2. they're really small in order to post here.

Wook

PS: Can I sell the log books & paperwork separately?

FJB!!!

Attached Images
1 Log books.JPG (25.38 KB, 265 downloads)
2 fuselage.jpeg (31.38 KB, 277 downloads)
4 tail.jpeg (8.61 KB, 269 downloads)
3 tail etc.jpeg (13.73 KB, 263 downloads)
Last edited by Wook; 10/17/21.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It would be worth a hell of a lot more if you got it to AK, assuming you have the plate. But it’s worth more than 5k as it is there. Don’t separate the logbooks.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Talk to these guys, they might be able to help:

https://backcountrypilot.org/

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Wook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I agree, AK Wolverine. Thanks for the link SBTCO.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Getting some contacts for you.
Check your PM later this afternoon.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Perhaps some help in the circus forum up top. WA members there.
🤷‍♀️

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Well, we know that hampster fella could re-build it, fly it up through peril, and anoint it for him.
😬

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
wook - pm to you.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Is Charlie Center......still building custom PA-12's for doctors...???

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

I have "zero" interest........was just trying to be helpful. I am actually surprised Charlie is still alive.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are essentially selling a project plane. While I agree it most likely is worth more than 5k both as a project or parts, time is not on your side. You may find a dreamer who has a vision of completing the project and willing to pay top price. To estimate the market value, start by finding a similarly equipped flying 12 and start subtracting things. First of all, the engine is really not in the mix due to its unkown condition and undesirability(low hp). If it needs to be recovered, estimate the cost of materials plus the labor to recover(shop rate x hours). What does it need to make it a Super 12? Does it have 18 gear and tail? Which STCs and/or field approvals does it have? Do the airframe logs have the paperwork that goes with the mods? Was the work your Dad did under the supervision of an A&P? After all the moves, are all of the parts there? There is a lot to consider when buying a project. A knowledgeable buyer will come to the table with a sharp pencil. There are many places to advertise the plane e.g. Barnstormers and Trade a plane to name a couple. They both have a web presence. Cubcrafters in Yakima may be able to point you in a direction. They manufacture and rebuild cubs. Good luck with the sale.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Another good resource, and someplace you could ask the same question-
https://www.supercub.org/

Wook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you Wolverine, I got your pm and your links. Thank you pak for the idea of cubcrafters in Yakima and others that gave their opinions.

Barnstormers is a great idea.

This fella may be the right buyer for me, even if he's on the low side. Didn't realize he's a friend of a friend in WA. He's pulling at my heart strings and said he's committed to re-building it and NOT parting it out. Offered pics, a ride and I can fly it when completed. Offered me 'right of first refusal' throughout the process (if he doesn't complete and wants to sell or it he completes and sells). Says this is the project he's looking for and his buddy is an A& P/IA. Even offered to move it to storage for me or box it up and ship it to AK.

I do think if I call Cub crafters et. al. I may be able to get a better price, but I'm sure they'll part it out. I assume the engine is junk-sat for 33 years and would need a total tear down.

Yes-cub gear, tail, etc... Jason (perspective buyer) confirmed (I wasn't sure about the gear). His estimation is it's 95+% complete, as he helped my guy find all the parts and whatnot. (My buddy isn't an airplane guy.) He valued it at $8-10 +/-k down there, if I laid out all the parts, snapped pics and upload onto barnstormers. However, time isn't on my side.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That’s great to hear Wook.
Sounds like you have probably found the right person. Realized price is obviously only a part of the equation of something like this.
And sorry to hear of the passing of your father - meant to write that earlier.

Wook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
That’s great to hear Wook.
Sounds like you have probably found the right person. Realized price is obviously only a part of the equation of something like this.
And sorry to hear of the passing of your father - meant to write that earlier.

Thank you for your condolences, I appreciate that.

I'm contacting Jason and I'm going to sell it to him. He's the right buyer. I feel like the plane is 'staying in the family.' He lives relatively close to my Uncle and I may even spend part of next summer helping Jason assemble the plane (unless he forks out the big bucks for Cub Crafter to do part of it).

Thanks for all the input guys. Y'all are truly a wealth of info!

My next thread? Probate!! I think my dad's family hates me now. lol

Last edited by Wook; 10/19/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.