Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by abbydog
Talked to a dealer in Vermont on Saturday re: ammo and he mentioned that a box of walmart ammo has a WM on it vs other ammo does not. He claims it’s made slightly cheaper than everywhere else. Interesting comment. I never bought any.

A lot of things that WM sells are made to WM's specs, but I don't believe that U.S. ammunition manufacturers would go to the trouble/expense of changing over produciton lines to make a differentiate product specifically for WM. WM is notoriously difficult for manufacturers to work with, because they want manufacturers to cut their wholesale prices nearly every year. The problem for manufacturers is that they let WM become such a large buyer of their products that loss of the WM accounts would cause them major financial problems, so they dance to WM''s tune.
The only one that I'm aware of is the Federal shotshells that come in a maroon box, rather than blue. I don't think anything is different except for the packaging.

Those WalMart only shotshells are made from the shot and powder they sweep up from the factory floor.

I know lots of folks shoot them, but if you test and see the difference yourself, and it matters, you'll probably spend a bit more on shotshells... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"This is a uniquely American internet position".

Don't care if someone buys a firearm at Walmart. I haven't "had to" yet, because I've found what I wanted at gun shops, or from private sales. Most of my guns were bought used, many of them from shops I have had personal relationships with over many years. Bought one rifle from our local Kmart over 30 years ago, when they had that rifle on sale.

Last three new guns were bought at two LGSs I've dealt with for decades. Shop owners have been friends for that long. When the Ruger American rim fires came out, none of the chains had any in stock A LGS I've dealt with for 40 years, got one in and I bought it for less than the chains were selling them for, when they eventually began to stock them

Per the rumors about substandard ammo at WM, they've sold 550 count Fed. Value Packs of 22LR for years. Like the shotshells mentioned, they are also in maroon boxes, not blue. Same 22LR ammo comes in 525 Value Packs in blue boxes, elsewhere. Have literally shot multiple thousands of rounds of that 22 ammo from WM over the years.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rickt300
At least that is what the guy in sporting goods just told me.
Whatever... Those were never their strong suit..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I looked in ours yesterday. The only centerfire ammo they had was 223 and 9 mm. Ours recently added a reloading section.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
the local WalMart stores stopped all gun and ammo sales right before the 2020 election.

Sam......

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by rickt300
At least that is what the guy in sporting goods just told me.

Schit it must be true then.

The only ammo I can remember buying at walmart was a 100 round pack of 20ga #8 shot.

I did buy an absolutely junk Hatfield shotgun there about 3-4 years ago for $69. It was priced $60 too high as far as I can tell.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by renegade50
You all mean the same mom and pop that tell ya they aint got schit all the time.
But yet are able to pay 4 or 5 full time family and friend employee's thru all this.

The same mom and pop that sell all their firearms and ammo they get in on gunbroker under accounts not associated with their shop????

Or do you guys mean the mom and pop shop that buys ammo and guns at walmart and charges at least a 50% mark up.
Even more when bought on brick seek clearance.

Those mom and pops or mee maw and pee paw shops ???

Some of you guys are extremely naive on what has been going on.

Naïve? No. I have the ability to walk away from ridiculously priced items. But I would rather $5 more at my local shop than buy it at walmart. I could give 2 chits if walmart stops selling guns and ammo. Or leaves town altogether.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by slumlord

Haha, “it’s so worth it, I’d suck Meemaw’s clit just so could support local business”

Well...it is a nice clit,

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our local Wal-Mart has an area for guns and ammo. They usually have eight or ten long guns but never more than a couple boxes of shotgun shells and no other ammo. CAL Ranch is a good alternative to walmart but they dont have groceries. They always have a large selection of guns, ammo, hunting, archery and camping supplies. Reloading supplies are hit and miss. Kinda like a high end Tractor Supply. The CAL Ranch store in Sierra Vista is a nice store.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
They indoctrinate their employees with critical race theory now, so the guns have to go.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
LOL...!! rene be battin' clean-up for the Wally World team today....... Surprise, surprise............ laugh

As with most things, not all "mom and pop" gun shops are bad places. In my realm, I know of three LGS that have very good competitive prices and an inventory that a Wally World "gun shop" patron would drool over. Store fronts that don't try to compete with the competition don't last long around here.

One of the "bad mom and pop" shops had a sign on the door a few years back that stated (paraphrased). "We don't price match with Walmart, so don't come in here just to ask. For your shopping convenience, Wal Mart is just down the road". They did then and still do have a brisk customer travel into the business. Why? Good prices and a good inventory.

During the present and recent pass situation, none of them have gouged prices on what inventory they were able to get. Now all three are steadily returning to a more normal look with a decent inventory of items you likely won't ever find at Wal Mart. And WM is still pfishing their customers for what they should or shouldn't sell.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 45_100
Our local Wal-Mart has an area for guns and ammo. They usually have eight or ten long guns but never more than a couple boxes of shotgun shells and no other ammo. CAL Ranch is a good alternative to walmart but they dont have groceries. They always have a large selection of guns, ammo, hunting, archery and camping supplies. Reloading supplies are hit and miss. Kinda like a high end Tractor Supply. The CAL Ranch store in Sierra Vista is a nice store.

I usually hit the one in Show Low when I pass through.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by akasparky
Originally Posted by jfruser

Yep. From ten gauges to twinks, brought to you from the financialization of American commerce.

What's a twink?

Soft yellow cake with a cream filling.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I looked in ours yesterday. The only centerfire ammo they had was 223 and 9 mm. Ours recently added a reloading section.

Looked in your what? Walmart? I thought WM stopped selling handgun and EBR ammo a while back. Maybe that’s just a local thing, but I thought it was nation wide.

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by abbydog
Talked to a dealer in Vermont on Saturday re: ammo and he mentioned that a box of walmart ammo has a WM on it vs other ammo does not. He claims it’s made slightly cheaper than everywhere else. Interesting comment. I never bought any.

A lot of things that WM sells are made to WM's specs, but I don't believe that U.S. ammunition manufacturers would go to the trouble/expense of changing over produciton lines to make a differentiate product specifically for WM. WM is notoriously difficult for manufacturers to work with, because they want manufacturers to cut their wholesale prices nearly every year. The problem for manufacturers is that they let WM become such a large buyer of their products that loss of the WM accounts would cause them major financial problems, so they dance to WM''s tune.
The only one that I'm aware of is the Federal shotshells that come in a maroon box, rather than blue. I don't think anything is different except for the packaging.

Those WalMart only shotshells are made from the shot and powder they sweep up from the factory floor.

I know lots of folks shoot them, but if you test and see the difference yourself, and it matters, you'll probably spend a bit more on shotshells... wink

Bull Crap-----Lots of ATA trap shooters like my self shoot Walmart Shells---whether it's Federal Top Gun, Remington Gun Club, Winchester Super Target , Winchester Universal or Federal field or target ammo---they break clay pigeons just fine. I'm an A shooter in singles & shoot from the 26 yardline in caps. These days you shoot what you can find. FYI at the last registered ATA shoot----My score was 99 in singles & 95 in handicap.

Walmart also sales Winchester AA's, Federal Gold Metals and Remington Nitro's.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Right around mid 1981 J.C. Penney decided they would literally drop everything and go straight for the yuppie trade. I know because my late wife worked there. She called me one morning and told me what was happening. She said they were clearing out all the guns for their cost and as she was an employee, as her husband entitled to another 10% off. Came home with tow Remington 700s, an ADL and BDL in 30-06, and two 30-30s, a Model 94 Winchester and a Model 336 Marlin. Total price for all four guns was $350 IIRC. I gave the ADL to my stepson for his birthday and a friend wanted the Marlin so let him have if for just enough to give me a small profit. It was still less than what they sold at retain.
The upshot of Penney's decision was and still it this. They're fighting to keep their heads above water and not doing a very good job of it. Serves them right. I guess the yuppies didn't flock in in droves like their bean counters though they would. Woke hurts.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Cant sell what's not in stock

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If this is actually a fact it raises a question. If they fail to take a stand in support of the 2A and continue to be a major outlet for chinese should we initiate a campfire boycott?

LOL

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our WM hasn't sold handgun and 223 ammo since late summer or fall of 2020, which is when they sold out what was in the supply pipeline. Pretty sure it was a nationwide decision, so if someone just saw 9mm and 223 in a Walmart, they must not sell much ammo, to have that in stock at this late date?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,312 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,850
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.