Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
If a deer is hit in the lungs, 1 lung, 2, or just a nick, can/could it blow or snort at you? Asking for a friend lol. I've never seen it but had a hunting partner say he shot one behind the shoulder (arrow) and it jumped up and blew. ???

GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Thoughts?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My dad shot one once that never knew it was hit. Kept its head down still eating. Guess the broadhead cleared the ribs just right. He went to nock another arrow and finally the thing fell over.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe, might take a short amount of time to fill the lungs up with blood. I had a doe resume feeding after a double lung shot at 12 yards once.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What about the animal being shot through the rib cage during the respiratory pause, after exhalation? It is possible to go through the chest cavity at this moment an not hit a thing, imo! Something else I wonder about, a double lung shot with inflated or deflated lungs, which does the most damage? My thinking is when the lungs are at their smallest volume of air , again during respiratory pause after exhalation. I am thinking with an arrow or a bullet, a certain percentage of shots can appear to be kill shots , but hit nothing but hide and ribs!

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've seen all kinds of crazy schit. Anything is possible.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Possible, possibly, but very unlikely.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by killerv
My dad shot one once that never knew it was hit. Kept its head down still eating. Guess the broadhead cleared the ribs just right. He went to nock another arrow and finally the thing fell over.

Personally saw that exact thing happen. As far as snorting after being shot, if the guy said it happened, guess it happened. Seen a lot of weird stuff hunting.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
If they can run 50 yards, I' sure they can snort a few times. It depends on where they're hit and by what. It takes a little time for the lungs to fill up.

Last edited by reivertom; 10/19/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Unless any of us were there how do we know the trajectory or spatial intersect of the impact?

Angled hit, barnside double lung deflate

I say yes to your question

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yes I have shot deer with bow and they didn't know they were hit. Even double lung 50-60 yards running or walking before they die. If they are rutting deer are especially tough like a combination pain killer steroid effect. Hit right their just as dead just don't know it.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by troublesome82
What about the animal being shot through the rib cage during the respiratory pause, after exhalation? It is possible to go through the chest cavity at this moment an not hit a thing, imo! Something else I wonder about, a double lung shot with inflated or deflated lungs, which does the most damage? My thinking is when the lungs are at their smallest volume of air , again during respiratory pause after exhalation. I am thinking with an arrow or a bullet, a certain percentage of shots can appear to be kill shots , but hit nothing but hide and ribs!

There’s no empty space inside the body cavity except that INSIDE the lungs. That’s why the diaphragm works the way it does. The diaphragm moves down, sucking air into the lungs.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Deer can see blue, so be careful for that.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the chest cavity is penetrated at all, it’s gonna cause a pneumothorax (or double) or hemothorax (or double) at the very minimum.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not only that Antlers it could get air in there or fill up with blood.
Just given ya à bad time. Need it after getting à little riled on another post. Your posts are spot on based on intelligent informed opinion.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
First deer i GOT with a bow when i was in HS i shot almost straight down through as it ate acorns under the branch i stood on.
It bounced off about 10 yards and started feeding again. I couldnt see an arrow in it or on the ground.

Like the twilight zone.

It was behind me through brush and after a while with me trying to figure out WTH was going on, it lay down and soon died.

When i climbed down, the arrow was stuck in the forest duff and straight up.

I started using white knocks on the Micro Flight fiberglass arrows.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by jaguartx
First deer i GOT with a bow when i was in HS i shot almost straight down through as it ate acorns under the branch i stood on.
It bounced off about 10 yards and started feeding again. I couldnt see an arrow in it or on the ground.

Like the twilight zone.

It was behind me through brush and after a while with me trying to figure out WTH was going on, it lay down and soon died.

When i climbed down, the arrow was stuck in the forest duff and straight up.

I started using white knocks on the Micro Flight fiberglass arrows.

I've had more than a few not know they wuz daid

BC ( before carbon) I put blue nocks and vanes
on my arrows.
The stood out really well to my eyes when everything
where I hunted was brown and green and gray

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
When I hit 60 I started to hunt with a compound bow rather than à recurve. I use aluminocs love em.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by navlav8r

There’s no empty space inside the body cavity except that INSIDE the lungs. That’s why the diaphragm works the way it does. The diaphragm moves down, sucking air into the lungs.

In my way of thinking there is some space in there between the collapsed lungs (squeezed up by diaphragm) and the mesentery holding the other organs in place, granted the space is smaller than with lungs inflated but there has got to be some room there for an arrow or bullet to penetrate without hitting any vitals!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antlers
If the chest cavity is penetrated at all, it’s gonna cause a pneumothorax (or double) or hemothorax (or double) at the very minimum.

I am aware of the pneumothorax issue and that is inevitable with chest cavity penetration, but it would take the animal much longer to perish, especially if the diaphragm and lungs have not been compromised!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,489
Posts18,452,075
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.