Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
TakeEm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106
TakeEm, congrats on the pup. They’re the greatest aren’t they? Are you going to test him? I would highly encourage doing so even if you’re not interested in breeding. I’ve “drank the koolaid” so to speak with the German hunt test system and it makes for an outstanding dog. Right now I’m helping a friend get his dog ready for the Armbruster in September and I’ll admit I’m jealous I don’t have a pup to get ready myself. Post pics if you can of yours. I’d love to see him.

I am willing to do it but can’t find information on what the test standards are to train for them. I joined VDD-GNA, possibly the most frustrating thing I’ve ever done as I don’t have anything besides the email saying I paid them and an email from them saying everything is coming but it comes from Germany. I don’t want my dog to hunt rabbits eithe so that part concerns me somewhat.

Isaiah 6:8

BP-B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Just a brief synopsis on testing. The first test is the VJP. This is done the spring following the year pup was born. If they were born after October, it will be the following year. This test is more or less a natural ability test although you will want to expose the dog to a lot of things and train for it. In this test they are looking at the way the dog searches, uses his nose, cooperates with you, tracks a hare and points.
The next test, the HZP, is done that fall and requires more training. This test includes everything from the VJP except usually the hare track. So again, nose, search, cooperation, and pointing. It also has the dreaded hare drag and retrieve as well as the water work. This includes the gun sensitivity, blind retrieve and search behind the live duck. You will want to have your dog trained in retrieving (force fetch) for this test.
Then if you want to continue, the last test is the VGP or utility test. This includes everything from the first two tests but also forest work which is the fox drag and retrieve and blood tracking. The VGP is not a requirement for breeding however. If you go through the tests and want to be certified to breed, you also need to go through a breed show, where the dogs coat, conformation, height, length, gait, bite and teeth are evaluated. You also need to have hips, shoulders and elbows x-rayed and evaluated. There’s also the “hardness” test. Which is probably better explained in a PM.
As far as not wanting your dog to hunt rabbits, I was hesitant to use mine on fur at first too. But it has not affected my dogs bird hunting, both upland and waterfowl one bit. In fact, it’s made him a better dog in my opinion. Besides, it’s pretty fun to take your dog hunting everything from birds and varmints to big game. There’s a lot of information to unpack so if you want to communicate via PM. I looked for information about training for the tests and like you, found that there’s not a ton out there. I have a few resources and a little experience now so let me know and I’ll try to point you in the right direction.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd have no concerns about rabbit tracks and retrieving. My dogs hunt birds but if they get in a rabbit thicket its a quick beep of the collar to get them off the rabbit and back on birds. On days with few or no birds, I'll bust a rabbit for them to get a retrieve in. They just love retrieving rabbits.

Mbogo has it lined out above. Highly recommend getting with some of the Great Plains chapter up there and doing training days. Dogs get exposure to a lot of other pups and people and really is good for them.

Love to see pics when you can post them.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
TakeEM, check out the videos (DVDs) made on the German testing system from Dogs Unlimited. I had tested 2 dogs through the HZP and once I started watching the videos I bought all three videos. The videos are well made and show how the tested event takes place, then how to train for that event. The VJP and HZP are on one DVD. The VGP video is something like 2 hours and 45 minutes long, so lots of info. I'm going to test on my first VGP this fall and have watched the video three times so far this summer. it will be money well spent. My advice is even if you dont plan on testing the VGP get the video, its worth it.

T
TakeEm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. The dog is very high air scent and when he can’t air scent it, and it runs away(rabbit in yard) he goes to the ground to track. He will retrieve over 50 yards and bring me the bird (dead fowl trainer dove).

I’m going to get/shoot some pigeons for him to retrieve. I’ll see if I can get some pictures of him up. He’s 14 or 15 weeks now.

Isaiah 6:8

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a lot of natural desire and good breeding there. He'll be an easy trainer I bet. Look forward to following along.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,035 guests, and 1,421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.