24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is some darned good shooting drover....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I also took the time to shoot another target with the Cooper 57M sporter. The breeze was from the left and a little switchy, on the last row it started moving the shots further out to the bottom right, number 16,17, 18 are just breaking the line I should have stopped and waited out the wind at that point but instead I thought I could outsmart it. I was ticked when I dropped #19 out the bottom and unfortunately it was still living in my head when I shot #20 and blew it out the top. I am still happy with the rifle ammo combo. Now, if I could only smarten up the shooter.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Sheister

Thanks, this is a great backyard challenge. I was skeptical at first, it looks too easy but moving to a new dot each time certainly is harder than shooting a small group.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Sheister

+1 - excellent shooting Drover and that Tikka shoots a whole lot better than the one I had with ANY type of ammo!

PennDog

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
As Pugs is fond of saying, I'm becoming more and more a .22 slut. As often as not, when selecting stuff for a range day I reach for more .22's than centerfires. The lure of fine accuracy, cheap shooting (even in this day and age), and the challenge of determining the preferred diet of a rifle makes for a pleasant pastime.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Finally finding a little time to try to download some target pics- warts and all.... wink
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The 52 shows clearly the inconsistency I was getting with the SK Standard plus in the first pic, much better results with the RWS in the second pic. The third pic shows the Eley Action in my 541TS. Not bad ammo, but no better than a lot of other mid priced ammo . Ran out of time to shoot the RWS in the 541T, but next time it will be my mission to try it in several rifles, including my target rifles for a change...

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 10/19/21.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Bob…..my 52 did the same thing with any ammo I tried except Lapua X-Act (of course😬). As others have mentioned - when shooting groups it looks pretty good, when we go to shot/dot sometimes not so much😄! I need to get a few other rifles out and see where I’m at with them - these will more my hunting rifles than my “competition” guns. I’m anxious to try that old Mossberg 42 - scope (also Mossberg) is not the greatest but does shoot good groups?!!

PennDog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Mounted the old, steel Weaver T-16 on this Contender .22LR Match so I could see enough of the red dot around the crosshairs at 50 yards. Sighted in this morning on the B-3 target using LAPUA Center-X. First shot nicked the edge at 8 o’clock. Adjusted till they hit center. Switched to LAPUA Midas + and fired five at the NRA eagle to confirm. Then, started on the red dots with the Midas +. Dialed down as I finished line 3 to compensate, as hits were going high. Then just plain blew the last shot.

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is the biggest thing I learned from this exercise. Even though I thought at one time I was shooting good groups, and seasoning the barrels on these rifles I had some pretty good groups going before shooting for these scores, once I started shooting I realized that bit of dispersion and occasional flyers you can write off when shooting groups become glaring examples of the quality of the ammo, the quality of the gun, the skill of the shooter, and the difficulty of doing this exercise over 20 shots without cherry picking a group to post....

In other words, I was a bit surprised at how difficult this really is to do well. I let BSA shoot my 52, which is right handed and he normally shoots left handed. Even with that difficulty I think he shot a better target with my rifle than I did (but just barely wink )..... this exercise can be a humbling experience for sure, but it can also be a valuable learning experience if you choose to look at it that way. I will be trying my target rifles on the next go around on this exercise to see if I can improve on my results.... and a few more of my sporters just for fun... wink

Bob

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PennDog
Bob…..my 52 did the same thing with any ammo I tried except Lapua X-Act (of course😬). As others have mentioned - when shooting groups it looks pretty good, when we go to shot/dot sometimes not so much😄! I need to get a few other rifles out and see where I’m at with them - these will more my hunting rifles than my “competition” guns. I’m anxious to try that old Mossberg 42 - scope (also Mossberg) is not the greatest but does shoot good groups?!!

PennDog

I need to get me some Lapua X-act or something else and try this thing again!!! Its been fun. Sheister even let me shoot his sweet 52B and that was fun. I'm glad to see you guys getting out and giving this a try.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 4MERCHP

Mounted the old, steel Weaver T-16 on this Contender .22LR Match so I could see the red dot around the crosshairs at 50 yards. Sighted in this morning on the B-3 target using LAPUA Center-X. First shot nicked the edge at 8 o’clock. Adjusted till they hit center. Switched to LAPUA Midas + and fired five at the NRA eagle to confirm. Then, started on the red dots with the Midas +. Dialed down as I finished line 3 to compensate, as hits were going high. Then just plain blew the last shot.

Very good shooting. Thanks for posting buddy...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 4MERCHP

Mounted the old, steel Weaver T-16 on this Contender .22LR Match so I could see the red dot around the crosshairs at 50 yards. Sighted in this morning on the B-3 target using LAPUA Center-X. First shot nicked the edge at 8 o’clock. Adjusted till they hit center. Switched to LAPUA Midas + and fired five at the NRA eagle to confirm. Then, started on the red dots with the Midas +. Dialed down as I finished line 3 to compensate, as hits were going high. Then just plain blew the last shot.

Very good shooting. Thanks for posting buddy...

That Contender pistol has always challenged the precision of the rifles, sometimes bettering them:

… and this afternoon on the 6” steel at 200 yards, it showed its stuff again:
5 shots with LAPUA Midas + (from the same box as on the red dots, above) measured just under 2-1/4”.

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Went out today for my second attempt, something has gone haywire with the chosen rifle, so..................I'll fall back with another try in a day or three.

DD

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Got a chance to go out and shoot another set before the rains set in.
Got out the Kimber Classic which shoots pretty good, but I discovered I needed to lighten the trigger some more. It's breaking at 20oz. and I prefer no more than 16 on a Squirrel rifle. I pulled 3 shots although 2 of them are touching black, but still was not happy I pulled them.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice shooting, and nice rifle!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice work with the Kimber. That should be good for the squirrel management program!!!

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Thanks.
It's turning into one of my favorite rifles.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Excellent shooting K22 and sweet rifle!

PennDog

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Thanks PennDog.
This Kimber loves RWS Subsonic more than any of the other higher end ammo I have.
I was going to shoot one of the Sako Quads, but it was not performing like it should. I must have cleaned the barrel to good when I put it away a couple of years ago.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice shooting K22!! Beautiful rifle too. I like it..

BSA MAGA
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
108 members (6mmbrfan, 160user, 10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,712 guests, and 754 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.