Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
There is a LOT of emphasis on lowering rifle weights as much as possible for mountain hunting, but I seldom read anything on an equal emphasis on lowering body weight for the same benefits. Lets say you are not overweight: your bmi is right where it should be. And you can either reduce your rifle weight by even 1-2 lbs, or you can work on your body weight and lose say 4-5 lbs. Is the loss of body weight going to have the same benefits on your your ability to walk at a good pace in rough conditions as that 1-2 lbs. of less rifle weight to carry. I've never seen anything on this question.

My best shooting rifles are LW Nula's and a re-barreled Kimber. I may use a heavier rifle, but have yet to have a miss I would blame on the LW's.

As far as losing 4-5 pounds....4 to 5 of itself, will not do one much good on endurance, without being in better physical condition than before you lost the 4-5. Many loose more than than 4-5, and are in no better shape than previously. Conversely, one could hit the weights, along with improving cardio and gain 10 pounds, and be in better hunting shape than when they were lighter.

Been hanging around long enough for certain truths to become evident...One being, most people over 40 are not in shape...and most will not put in the effort to be so. And only losing 4-5 pounds means little if the work isn't put in.

And as far as shooting a heavy better than a lightweight...I find it to be true when shooting off the bench or fooling around from off hand...However, when the adrenaline and focus is on edge...I find little difference.

Last edited by battue; 10/15/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

BMI is a crock for men who train.

👍🏻

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
IMO, the weight of the rifle on a pack isn’t that big an issue, but total weight is a factor.

The consideration is hunting with the rifle in your hands. A difference of say, two pounds at the end of your arm is the important consideration.

That momentum of the pendulum effect will cause fatigue. One is constantly fighting that inertia.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Had my wellness check at work yesterday. Total cholesterol 165, Triglycerides 47, Resting heart rate of 48. 6' 218 lbs puts me at a BMI of 30 which is listed as obese.

This morning was 12 rounds:
DE bag 3 min, 2 min elliptical (1 minute forward, 1 minute backwards)
Heavy bag 3 min, 2 min elliptical (1 minute forward, 1 minute backwards)
...then back to the DE bag.

True that. Thicker bone structure is also a factor that skews the efficacy of BMI as a measure of body composition.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think Brad & BWinters nailed it. Personally I’m in continuously above average shape for 49 (but not where I know I could be) and know my body well enough to know that lighter boots & cardio are where it’s at for me. This item or that item won’t really make a difference if my finger tops are sweating. A lighter or more nimble rifle might make that alder choked hillside a bit more bearable but honestly that’s gonna be terrible no matter what. Alders, after all, were hand planted by satan himself.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goalie
Until you have a "healthy" BMI, body weight will be a factor. Usually a big one.

Had my wellness check at work yesterday. Total cholesterol 165, Triglycerides 47, Resting heart rate of 48. 6' 218 lbs puts me at a BMI of 30 which is listed as obese.

BMI is a number.

Is your mass fat or muscle? I had to get a weight waiver in the Corps once after 6 months on ship lifting. I was well under 10% body fat, and ran the 3 miles in 15 minutes and change.

I was 6' and 202lbs.

😉

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Obviously there’s a lot of correlation but cardio and conditioning is more important than BMI in and of itself. I’ve never bought into the loose two pounds and don’t worry about the rifle argument. Nobody will ever notice hiking with an extra two pounds on their body but an extra two pounds slung over the shoulder or carried in the hand is something that you notice instantly and that you’ll notice more the further you carry it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I find I shoot an 8-9 pound rifle better than the lightweights at longish ranges. So that is what I tend to hunt with. I'm a bit over average for height and weight so maybe that helps. I try to stay in respective shape year round.

I'd say most would be well served to train harder both via weights and cardio vs obsessing about gear weights. Makes no difference to me either way. After hunting for 40 years I know what I like.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Until you have a "healthy" BMI, body weight will be a factor. Usually a big one.

BMI is a number.

Is your mass fat or muscle? I had to get a weight waiver in the Corps once after 6 months on ship lifting. I was well under 10% body fat, and ran the 3 miles in 15 minutes and change.

I was 6' and 202lbs.

😉

Muscle. 2-3 days a week lifting in a circuit. 2-3 days a week bag work/elliptical in a circuit.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’m often the fattest guy on the top of the hill but sometimes the first & dragging an almost 10lb 300 Weatherby along can be tiring - but the point is to kill something not look cool in you kuiu gear. That rifle & scope are good to 800 yards from field positions so 400 yards is a lay-up. Would I like to have my 40 years ago legs & wind - you bet. Will a 4 lb lighter rifle or 25 lb lighter body do that - no so I’ll use what works.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Once again, at least 50% of the answers here on the BACKPACKING HUNTING FORUM are not from actual backpackers... dayhiking with a rifle is not the same thing.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

lol..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

How many of you have carried a M-1 all day every day, and a full load out of ammo and your ruck with all your Chitt in it, every where you went , up hill down hill in the snow, mud, rain, slept with your M-1, ate with your M-1, chitt with your M-1??? a naked empty M-1 weighs 12 # some of you guy's sound like Snowflake PUSSY'S. Rio7

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RIO7

How many of you have carried a M-1 all day every day, and a full load out of ammo and your ruck with all your Chitt in it, every where you went , up hill down hill in the snow, mud, rain, slept with your M-1, ate with your M-1, chitt with your M-1??? a naked empty M-1 weighs 12 # some of you guy's sound like Snowflake PUSSY'S. Rio7

Well yeah, but did you do it at 11,000 ft atitude, at 64 years of age...........?

wink

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Classic campfire....

A post having nothing to do with the topic, but made solely to remind everyone else how much badasser they are than the folks who actually posted about the topic...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

alpinecrick NO, but when i was a young man i could run up and the Rocky Mountains, like a jackrabbit, with a 30-30. Rio7

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

alpinecrick NO, but when i was a young man i could run up and the Rocky Mountains, like a jackrabbit, with a 30-30. Rio7

And what does that have to do with anything on this thread?

Answer: NOTHING

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Brad, You are right you are nothing, but 28,766 posts of hot air and Bull Chitt, KMA Rio7

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Brad, You are right you are nothing, but 28,766 posts of hot air and Bull Chitt, KMA Rio7

Why are you always angry these days?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

GregW, Not angry just tired of couch sitting basement dwellers. Rio7

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 66 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.