-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used the Tuffpak. Rifle in soft case, all hunting clothes, binoculars, rangefinder, and other hunting gear like belts and ammo pouches. It look like a golf bag carrrier.

https://nalpak.com/Tuffpak-1050-Gun-Case-BLACK-w-Cushioned-Handle

Nalpak also sells Pelican and SKB cases.

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Happy with my Cabelas by Boyt, both and and two rifle versions.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have the pelican 1750 guns case works great. If you can find an Americase 2 gun Safari, bomb proof, but no longer made.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Pelican…very heavy, will crack, and it holds side to side too firmly. Place a sheet of plywood against your head and then hit it with a hammer…lots of shock transmitted.

NalPak works great until you need to unpack it at customs or airline counter and then you will curse it to high heaven…I did that twice and then it was gone.

Any aluminum case will get caught in the aluminum rails of the various conveyor systems and the it might get torn as mine did on several occasions. No aluminum even if coated.

SKB…best but avoid their Pelican knock-off imitations. Material slick and won’t get stuck. Material bounces off stuff. Used one at least 15 times w/o incident.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have used Tuffpak and a Ziegel Engineering Aluminum one. Both have been on many hunts to Africa with no problems. Unpacking a Tuffpak is a pain in the butt if you over pack it with lots of other stuff and then need to unpack for Customs. Have also heard good things about the SKB.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Buy the tuff sack for the Tuffpak. Slides in and out, access your guns through the rear of their cases. Customs can suck ****************

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
[quote=BOWHUNR]I've always liked my Tuffpak with the carry-on saddle bag. It's been to Africa four times, Russia, Canada, etc. and I've never had an issue. However, I haven't flown with firearms for several years.

I used a tuffpak on a trip to Zimbabwe and several to other destinations. Worked well and you can stuff some clothing in around the rifles. I have not flown with guns for a few years. I recall that there was some extra paperwork required. Weeks before departure I took my gun to the local Minneapolis airport. They took the serial numbers and wrote them in a document that I kept. I think this is to be able to get the firearms back into the USA.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I used a Tuffpak on one international hunt, a trip to Mongolia for Gobi Ibex. The journey took me thru Beijing, and the numerous inspections and unloading and loading of the Tuffpak was a real PITA. It has since been sold.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
I have the pelican 1750 guns case works great. If you can find an Americase 2 gun Safari, bomb proof, but no longer made.

I was going to chime in on the Americase myself. I've used mine a couple of times to Sonora, MX, and several African trips. It is extremely durable and well made.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The upshot from this conversation seems to be lots of good choices, just a matter of choosing the one which best suits your needs and budget.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
I've always liked my Tuffpak with the carry-on saddle bag. It's been to Africa four times, Russia, Canada, etc. and I've never had an issue. However, I haven't flown with firearms for several years.

Ditto. I have taken rifles internationally a number of times including Tanzania and RSA in my Tuffpack. It has been perfect for my needs and its appearance does not shout out "Firearm!"

https://i.imgur.com/e89MtSj.jpg

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Another vote for Pelican!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've used Pelican cases on several trips, including to Africa. So far they have worked well.

NTO Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have used Pelican 1750 it made it’s 8th trip over this yr and they broke it finally. Was another guy in Newark that his broke also. One time on Emirates we got back to DFW to find the barrel of the clients rifle sticking out of his SKB.
Like the idea of Tuffpack but have watched to many dig everything out on the floor in customs.
Airlines can destroy any of them but Pelican still gets my vote.

North Texas Outfitters
www.huntexoticgame.com

R2BA Auction Company LLC
www.r2baauctions.com
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I prefer Tuffpack.

It is lighter. There is plenty of room to pack stuff around your firearms for added protection. Pack your firearms in soft cases and place in the Tuffpack barrel down and it it is easy to pull them out for inspection as needed.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My Boyt 2 rifle wheeled case is heavy but is still in great shape after a half dozen domestic trips. I like the cam action twist latches as they can’t “accidentally” open. As someone mentioned previously I use somewhat short-shanked combination padlocks that barely fit through the locking holes so even if al four latches where somehow sheared off the case still remains tightly shut. I have a variety of foam sets cut for different rifle and shotgun pairings as well as spots for amok, knives, shooting sticks, bipods etc.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hey Strosfann, where did you get the extra foam inserts? I have 2 Boyts, a long or regular one and also the shorter one.
I managed to take 2 rifles in the shorter takedown case to South Africa. Good thing because it barely fit in the rental car. The regular would have been too long.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tankerjockey - they cell rolls of foam at hobby stores such as Michaels - just cut to fit with a filet knife. Works great.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the heads up.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Americase.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,729
Posts18,457,475
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.