Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I want a 24” barrel.

Well, you’ll have to bite the bullet Pharm, order up a Benchmark or Krieger and get that devil made up. Life’s to short to want for something so easy!

Last edited by beretzs; 10/14/21.

Semper Fi
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Thanks Scott.

I've looked at the chamber drawings quite a few times, and I think the minimum body taper of the 280AI makes it an easy rechamber from 7-08 without setback.

And with 160's, the Tikka magazine/action length should be fine too.

Twist and magazine length may eliminate the use of longer bullets though.

I’d bet he’d get away with 162 ELDs and definitely Accubonds and similar. Especially if throating and such was looked at.

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by beretzs
I want a 24” barrel.

Well, you’ll have to bite the bullet Pharm, order up a Benchmark or Krieger and get that devil made up. Life’s to short to want for something so easy!

I'm really not trying to convince anybody to get something they don't want, but my math would look something like this:

24" 280 = 22.4" 280AI + $500

Last edited by WhelenAway; 10/14/21. Reason: allowed for rechamber cost

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by MCMXI
I'll pile on here too. I have a Tikka T3 TAC in .300 WM that shoots factory ammunition into a little over 5-shot 1/2" groups and I saw no significant change after upgrading the trigger guard, bolt shroud, recoil lug and magazines with Mountain Tactical parts. That rifle has dropped three elk and one deer and like others have said, the upgrades were more about aesthetics with parts commensurate with the overall quality of the rifle.

I have two Sako S20s and am now convinced that Sako/Tikka make the best production rifles available. If they'd only increase the .30 cal twist rates I wouldn't even look at another manufacturer. As it is, I'm barely looking at other manufacturers any more.

They better make the best rifle because if anything is wrong with it you are getting zero from beretta. I sold all my Sakos had issues of some kind one wouldn’t eject the other stock went sticky. Neither dealer or beretta would stand by them.

I still have two tikkas and they are pretty much perfect.

Last edited by ldg397; 10/14/21.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I had a T3x hunter and wanted a metal trigger guard to go with the wood stock. I used High Desert’s bottom metal which duplicates the shape of the factory trigger guard. Made the rifle a little nicer IMO. Haven’t bothered with my superlites.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I want a 24” barrel.

I'm really not trying to convince anybody to get something they don't want, but my math would look something like this:

24" 280 = 22.4" 280AI + $500

That makes good sense as well. This is how this place costs all of us money whistle

Or you could just buy my 270 SuperLite in the Sako Classic McMillan EDGE fill and have it all ready to go grin

Last edited by beretzs; 10/15/21.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
270 is gay, haven’t you heard?

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

There is that too I guess. It’s a sweetheart that’ll I’ll never use. Tried to talk myself into it but now it just collects dust.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

There is that too I guess. It’s a sweetheart that’ll I’ll never use. Tried to talk myself into it but now it just collects dust.

Sure looks better with that nice stock Scott.

I've only owned about 3 Tikkas, and I sold them all before ever firing a shot.

Got a good deal each time, but after considering what it would cost to trick them out with a nice stock and bottom metal (bolt shroud and lug on T3) they didn't seem like such a good deal.

And factoring in some other dislikes (twist rates, action length, economical design) I just decided I probably wouldn't be happy with the end result. It failed my cost/benefit analysis.

I think the best plan for a Tikka is to just hunt it as is. It's functional with no modifications, and if you like the package it's a good rifle for the price.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Got a good deal each time, but after considering what it would cost to trick them out with a nice stock and bottom metal (bolt shroud and lug on T3) they didn't seem like such a good deal.

And factoring in some other dislikes (twist rates, action length, economical design) I just decided I probably wouldn't be happy with the end result. It failed my cost/benefit analysis.

I think the best plan for a Tikka is to just hunt it as is. It's functional with no modifications, and if you like the package it's a good rifle for the price.

I agree. The only one left is the 270. I thought I had a buyer for it as well, but I can't find the fellas number. I had a 1-8 22-250, 6.5 CM, and 7-08 Compact. Those three are all gone to good homes. I broke even with them, even after putting the same stocks on all three of those as well, but I just never really loved them like I do Model 70's. Weird, but that's the facts. Amazing shooting rifles though and excellent plastic stocks too.

Semper Fi
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Same for me. I have used various T3, T3X, but keep coming back to my M70’s. I still own one Tikka, a wood stock hunter in 222 with the High Desert bottom metal…it ain’t going anywhere.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

I agree. The only one left is the 270. I thought I had a buyer for it as well, but I can't find the fellas number. I had a 1-8 22-250, 6.5 CM, and 7-08 Compact. Those three are all gone to good homes. I broke even with them, even after putting the same stocks on all three of those as well, but I just never really loved them like I do Model 70's. Weird, but that's the facts. Amazing shooting rifles though and excellent plastic stocks too.

Bottom line . . . You gotta like your rifle.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.