Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Been hunting elk last 12 years straight. Been fairly successful on public land and happy with 7 elk in 12 years.
Buddy that has been with an outfit in Utah had good luck with, I decided to try out something new and maybe learn something new.. I had general elk tag and outfitter has the cow tags.
My guide put me on elk 3 out of 5 days and we saw elk 4 out of 5 days. I ended up with a cow and had couple missed opportunities on a bull. Just wrong place at wrong time. Couple other Guys from camp got to shoot em that were set up below me.
I was happy for one of the Hunter from Cali as he was genuinely nice good people and also probably the richest.. The other guy that shot a bull was from Texas and “there to kill elk only and didn’t care about any of us in camp” . That was awkward on 4th afternoon of hanging out. But that wasn’t even that bad to what else was in camp.
This other guy from Cali was the biggest POS human being and hunter I’ve been around in loooong time. To think about it, He is the biggest. He biggest one upper, best gear, know it all, cocky, arrogant POS I had to endure for 5 days. I gave the other guide props for lasting that long.

The outfitter did his best and he truly was working to get Everyone on animals. My guide and I became friends and had great time hunting together and maybe even hunt again I n near future.
But I don’t ever want to pay to be stuck with guys like that in camp or even worse a truck again. I don’t think I’ll ever do a guided hunt again, at least not for a long long time.
Truly a learning experience.

Also I have seen countless of suggesting to newbs to get a guide to learn from, never seen to make sure the Hunter finds an outfit that has his style of hunting. Such as sitting in stands vs farm lands vs high country or something in between. Ridding side by sides and glass and glass or get deep into timer on foot. Possibly to find an outfit near where they hunt to learn how to hunt that terrain more. Not the opposite.

Last edited by Dre; 10/15/21.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Interesting, never been on a guided hunt, nothing against it, just the opportunity never arose. Camp dynamic is a big part of the hunt that you really have no control over.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
When I was a kid I thought being a wilderness outfitter was the ultimate dream business/career. In college I worked for a guy that had a trophy room bigger then my house. He matched the arrogant rich guy stereotype to a “T”.

Between working for that guy and what you just described my enthusiasm for guiding/outfitting in general has been curbed greatly.

Still may consider doing some guiding after my kids are raised but would have to be pretty selective.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like guides, hunters come in all types. Always good to check references on guides and find out who else will be in camp. I've made good friends of folks who I shared a camp with and also guides. Getting a bad guide would be the worst.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive been on a number of guided hunts but ALWAYS try to book when I am the only one in camp. Doesnt always work out that way. I had a pig hunt in Texas this past spring. 7 other guys in camp...all decent sorts thankfully, but everyone had tricked out ARs, Thermal Scopes and the latest wazoo technology of everything. I would occasionally hear bursts of small arms fire in the distance from my blind....
Bottom line:after almost 3 days with a total of 8 people hunting, there were five pigs killed.....

I killed three of them with a M700 in .223.....with three shots.

Come to whatever conclusions you wish.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dre - "... This other guy from Cali was the biggest POS human being and hunter I’ve been around in loooong time. To think about it, He is the biggest. He biggest one upper, best gear, know it all, cocky, arrogant POS I had to endure for 5 days. ... "

That guy is a duplicate of a man in an outfitted elk camp in which I hunted in Colorado years ago. Except he was not from California; he was from Miami, Florida. He bragged about his money, his gear, his hunting and shooting experience, and snidely managed to disparage the same of the hunters in camp. After a couple days of his boorish, obnoxious. overbearing, smug attitude, we hunters just ignored him the best we could. It was not easy.

He missed two easy shots on good six point bulls, and then blamed his guide because he missed the shots. His guide said one shot was about 200 yards and the other shot was about 250 yards. The fact he was about 50 pounds overweight, not in good shape, and we were camped at 10,000 feet altitude and hunting up to 12,000 feet, didn't help him much. That azzwipe made unpleasant an elk hunt/Camp that otherwise would have been most enjoyable.

I've been on six outfitted elk hunts in several western states and that was the only one where one of the "hunters" should have stayed home. Or learned some manners.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So I just got off the phone with my buddy/guide I was with. The DB from Cali got arrested when he came home.
I guess The fish and game Was Waiting for him as he shot 2 buck in wrong unit before he left for Utah. I don’t know all the details but they called the outfitter for what ever reason.
I could go on for days about this guy, but I only have my phone right now to type on. Hope he gets his custom rifles with night forces taken away, his swaros binocs with range finder, all his matching kuiu gear, kentrek boots… etc

Totally made my night!

Last edited by Dre; 10/19/21.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have only been on one guided hunt.That was in Alberta. Same type of people. One [bleep] who owned a pecan farm in Cali. One who owned paint shop in Cali.One from the mid west who was a dragline operator and me Three of us took decent bulls the [bleep] had to eat tag soup.
That made a believer out of me that I always chose who I shared a camp with

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
G
Boy that really sucks. It would have been tough for me to bite my tongue and not say something to one of those clowns. I am lucky in that I have never had to deal with any people like that before. Every hunt that I have been on the guys were all good people. Some of them were rich, some not and some in between but the common thing between all was their passion for hunting and the outdoors.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was on a hunt for black bear in BC once and there was a guy from NJ in camp that was without a doubt the biggest A$$H0LE I have ever met. He was so bad the outfitter took him back to the airport on day 3 and sent him home. If he had stayed in the camp I honestly believe there would have been a fistfight.

Last edited by MAC; 10/20/21.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B3

Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MAC
I was on a hunt for black bear in BC once and there was a guy from NJ in camp that was without a doubt the biggest A$$H0LE I have ever met. He was so bad the outfitter took him back to the airport on day 3 and sent him home. If he had stayed in the camp I honestly believe there would have been a fistfight.

I think the outfitter was close.
But He got his in the end

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
276 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,794 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.