Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I use em for dye

Same here.... dye my traps with them and If you got any camo shirt/pants that are getting a little too light colored, throw them in the dye water for a few days. Best camo color I've ever seen. Course, I'm blind in one eye and can't see outta the other.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
$20 hundred here this year, several 1000 pounds on the ground that will never get picked up on us .

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My dad would put one of the snow tires on the old Chevy. We called them knobbies There was only one drive wheel. No posi-traction in those days. A piece of heavy plywood was stood up and braced about 6 ft back back.

All the other wheels were chocked. Dad would start the engine, put it low gear and set the throttle so the wheel was turning pretty good clip.

Us kids took turns throwing the gathered walnuts under the wheel and some would be back at the plywood gathering them up Never gather he walnuts until after the first frost. The wheel would shuck those husk of pretty slick.Then we would put them up on the shed roof to dry.Probably did a half a dozen or so bushels each year.

We would spend many winter nights down in the garage cracking walnuts with a ball peen hammer on a piece of railroad iron, then digging out the meat.I still remember that black walnut chocolate fudge my mother use to make around the holidays
We felt especially lucky if we found a hickory tree that the squirrels hadn't pilfered all the nuts yet.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Watch two old black guys come in to the salvage yard here with a 70s piece of crap Chevy pickup, squatting down, low tires, walnuts heaped up in the bed as high as the cab

They shoveled all that shît out into the auto tub huller. Took about 30 minutes.

The old Jewie Hiehmansohn paid them $16

haha

Fouuuuuuuuuck THAT !!!

😂😂🤪🙀

We got black walnut trees all over this place. I burn it in my OWB furnace.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton
$20 hundred here this year, several 1000 pounds on the ground that will never get picked up on us .

In 1993 it was $10/hundred. I picked enough up (with dad and grandpas help, and a few pecans) to buy my first rifle , 700 ADL .270 for $300 from the local KMart.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
My grandparents (now mom and aunts) farm in Eastern Iowa is slam full of black walnut trees. There is one tree in a pasture by the old homestead that produces a boat load every two years so for convenience that's where we pick ours up. We let them hit the ground and let the cattle walk around on them for a while before we pick them up so at that point most of the hulls pop right off. I put mine in a frame made of scrap lumber and power wash the hell out of them. My uncle actually runs his through a washing machine on rinse cycle a couple of times. When we were kids one of our punishments was having to crack and pick 1 cup of walnuts. As a kid it seemed like it took forever!

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by ldholton

In 1993 it was $10/hundred. I picked enough up (with dad and grandpas help, and a few pecans) to buy my first rifle , 700 ADL .270 for $300 from the local KMart.

Yes , not many youth today have the ambition

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've got a yard full of them. Likely going to pick them up and get busy. We used to put them in the driveway and run over them to get the hulls off. My hands have been stained many times.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I harvested 2 black walnut trees about 2 weeks ago. One was 36 inches in diameter and the other about 24.
Will soon saw them into slabs and next year I'll begin making tables out of them.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MarkWV
There are tons of black walnuts around here. Too many trees to count.

Same here... even a few Butternuts left (folks that don't know Butternuts... they are nicknamed "White Walnuts"... oval shaped.

Boy, I hope that wasn't racist or offensive to anyone.

FYI, Butternuts are dying off (some scab fungus)...

Oh Boy... more racist innuendo... dang it.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 62 invisible), 2,939 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,794
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.