Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
At the range last Saturday, my groups started going to hell on my Weatherby Vanguard '06. Come to find out, my forward action screw had worked itself quite loose. What is the correct torque level I should use to tighten them back up? Thanks for your time.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thank you. As the Scarecrow said, "I shudda thought it with my brain!"

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Only torque settings I ever read about for action screws was for my Joe Biden AR'a.....a 5.56 Ruger American Ranch Rifle I believe the manual called for 50 inch pounds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It never occurred to me in the early years of rifle shooting. I think most of us just tightened action screws "farmer tight". In more recent years many of us have adopted torque specs.

After reading an article on Accurate Shooter website, I began to tune my rifles. As a general rule I will begin with 35 rear and 40 front and go up from there. My pillar bedded 300 RUM likes 50 in/lb front and rear but all the others like a bit less. 40 rear/45 front is most common.

https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

I’ve never torqued anything on a gun.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack

I’ve never torqued anything on a gun.

I don't either. A properly glass bedded rifle doesn't need to be torqued down to an exacting figure. Scope bases and rings are fine just being tightened by feel, if you don't torque them down too hard. Maybe some guys need to use a torque wrench to keep from breaking stuff?? To MR. Chongo, if your action screws are backing out, I'd be properly glass bedding your rifle, as a rifle rocking back and forth in the stock, as we shoot it, can cause the action screws to back out. This is an indication the receiver is not sitting perfectly in the stock or the receiver is actually stressed/torqued, as the action screws are tightened. Another reason we glass bed our rifles..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I suspect a lot of the specs on manufacturer’s action screw torque are a reaction to the demand for them. My guns get “tight” on the front, a little less in the back. No doubt accuracy goes to hell when they are loose, but I’m dubious of the necessity to meet a particular torque.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t use a torque wrench either. I tighten the front and back the middle, if there is one, I tighten then back off.
One thing I do is put my hand around the fore end and if the barrel moves as I tighten the back or middle I may be looking at re-bedding.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not torquing? You’ll never get your best accuracy.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not torqueing is like timing an engine by ear. It might work but not optimal.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
These days a torque screwdriver is an easy purchase, is no harder to use than a standard screwdriver.
I think it is a essential tool for a nuts and bolts firearm guy.
Why would a guy who expects top results when accurizing his rifle, not spend the 100.00? ( or less)
Maybe those who go by on the cheap also have little need for a powder measure- why not fill the case approximately the same amount by eye ...and then seat the bullet by feel.
I am going by memory but generally bedding screws at around 30# rings and bases at 15 # . Rotationally, tighten . Machine screws have their limits.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want consistency, accurate tightening the guard screws will be a start. Many years ago I had issues with two rifles, a Remington M7 and a Winchester Featherweight. I called both companies for guidance on torque values. I don't know that the information I was given was a considered opinion of the support tech with whom I spoke, or an official suggestion of each company. Winchester suggested 45 in/lbs for the front screw and 8 in/lbs for the rear. Remington suggested 35 in/lbs for the front, and "tight enough to keep it in" for the rear. I wanted to be sure so as a general rule for me on either wood or composite stocks, I have used 55 in/lbs front and 12 in/lbs rear. They stay at that.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ve torqued my rifles with the torque wrench to values “recommended” by manufacturers, and torqued “tight” as described above, and seen no difference in accuracy. I also know of at least two major top drawer custom rifle makers, both now deceased, who didn’t do it and chuckled at those who thought it mattered. If it makes you happy and you are convinced it works, I’m all for you. My experience has shown me it does not.

And the analogy to tuning a car’s engine just doesn’t hold up. Way different things; an analogy is the worst form of an argument.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As pointed out many times, if you can 'tune' your rifle and/or change the p.o.i. by varying the torque on the action screws....you've just demonstrated that the bedding needs attention.

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
As pointed out many times, if you can 'tune' your rifle and/or change the p.o.i. by varying the torque on the action screws....you've just demonstrated that the bedding needs attention.

Good shootin'. -Al

Yes.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wound up buying a torque wrench after I went down the rabbit hole on reaming and lapping scope rings. Might as well torque the screws too since they're so small. I was having all kinds of problems with scope screws coming loose even after being tightened to the point where they started leaving marks on the scope. Not wanting to strip them was the motivator there, and believe me, I could strip them out in my sleep! I used to torque the flywheel bolts on a Top Fuel car to 270ft/lbs with one hand laugh

I torque them all now since there's no reason no too.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

Good shootin'. -Al

Absolutely

And for those who torque do you run your figures dry or lubricated?

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Mini Torque tools are great...just not ready to put one on a slotted gun screw.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 66 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.