Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
A couple of weeks ago my 11 year old son went on a field trip with school. 20 something kids and 2 teachers, went to some kind of adventure camp in the mountains with staff, etc. Was gone for a couple of nights.

When he got home, my wife picked him up at school and brought him home, I asked him how it was and he said he had a great time but that he was bit by a dog. First I heard of it, figured it must not have been an actual bite. I asked him if I could see it. He pulled down his shorts and holy chit...there's a 6-7" long bruise across the top of his thigh....2 rows of teeth marks black and blue, punctuated by two k9 marks that broke the skin.

I about lost it and called my wife over and she really did loose it. I asked him what happened. He was on a rope course and a large boxer-like mix belonged to one of the staff. Dog ran over jumped up and bit my son on the thigh and pulled him off the rope, unprovoked. Did it hurt? yes. Did he cry? yes for five minutes. Did anybody see it? yes one of his teachers and one of the staff. Did anybody look at it? no. What did they do with the dog? nothing. he was not put up. they just "held" him. Over the next 2 days he bit one of the teachers and chased a couple of other kids.

My wife immediately called the school principal. He called the other teacher, the one that was bit and did not see what happened to my son, and had him call us. This accomplished nothing because he basically said he didn't know what happened. The principal then emailed my wife and said let him know if there's anything else he can do.

That's what really pissed me off. At that point I looked up the county where this place was located, and made a 9:00PM call to the non-emergency dispatch and filed a report. A deputy called right back and took the report, drove out there to get information. When he went back the next day to put the dog in quarantine, the owner had fled the state with the dog, having got word of the report. They did get the vaccination records and the dog was vaccinated, which was my main concern other than getting the dog away from an adventure camp where it could continue to attack kids.

I fired of an email to the principal telling him what should have been done. File a report, make sure the kid is OK, notify the parents, get the dog away from the kids, etc.

My wife has basically lost confidence in the school. They have not apologized or advised they would take corrective action with the teach that saw this and did nothing. If the bite had been on bare skin he would be disfigured. On the neck, he could be dead. I can't imagine how people that phugging stupid to see that happen and do nothing could be left in charge of kids.

BP-B2

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It's pretty much home school or perish at this point in America.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
WTH?? The school should have notified you IMMEDIATELY, and either taken him to the ER, or allowed you to come get him and take him there.

Spend a few hundred bucks on an “attorney letter”, and you’ll start getting answers a little quicker..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Public school? Public funds paid for this trip?

Private school? Church School?

Private camp? Church Camp?

When does you school board meet, whether it's a public school or private you might consider attending and letting your concerns be known.

Decide what you want done about the situation and let them know.

Some places have news reporters that cover this type of thing if you're not getting results from your other efforts.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Take a hickory stick to that dog and the owner when they ‘get back’

I bet the mutt had a bandana around its neck.

IC B2

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
It's a small private school. Kids have been really happy there. Started last year after their prior school closed. School stayed open all during covid with in person learning.
I feel like they are getting a good education. I told my wife we just need to let this play out for now. I have made our displeasure known. Won't trust them with either kid on a field trip unless wife is there. Maybe down the road an opportunity will arise to discuss face to face with principal and better gauge whether he gets just how infuriating this incident has been.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by fburgtx
WTH?? The school should have notified you IMMEDIATELY, and either taken him to the ER, or allowed you to come get him and take him there.

Spend a few hundred bucks on an “attorney letter”, and you’ll start getting answers a little quicker..

Exactly.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Swear out a warrant for Dog at Large

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by electram
It's a small private school. Kids have been really happy there. Started last year after their prior school closed. School stayed open all during covid with in person learning.
I feel like they are getting a good education. I told my wife we just need to let this play out for now. I have made our displeasure known. Won't trust them with either kid on a field trip unless wife is there. Maybe down the road an opportunity will arise to discuss face to face with principal and better gauge whether he gets just how infuriating this incident has been.

This is your own child.

Take charge, man.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Boxers already look like they’ve been hit in the face with a shovel.

Might as well oblige the fugger

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Thats wilder'n hell.

I reckon a complaint should be filed.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Decide what you want done about the situation and let them

This is key, IMO. And don’t back down.

Also 2 teachers to 20 something kids is not the proper ratio it seems.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As a former 6A HS principal for more than a decade and then an Assistant Superintendent in a large Southern, conservative district, I advise you to make sure this is documented. Get an attorney. If nothing else, to make sure nothing like this ever happens again in that particular school.
Idiocy. Poor judgement. Neglect. At the very least.

The original Frito Bandito!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad your kids are getting a good education.

Hopefully they don't learn that shirking responsibility works for those supposedly responsible.

Maybe "down the road" should be like this week at the first available appointment, even if I had to miss work.

Good luck with it all.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Hopefully they don't learn that shirking responsibility works for those supposedly responsible.

Maybe "down the road" should be like this week at the first available appointment, even if I had to miss work.

Good luck with it all.

As long as his displeasure was made known, then?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry about your boy.

White kids don’t matter.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by add

Good luck with it all.

As long as his displeasure was made known, then?

Not even my kid and I'm getting my dander up.

I have a HOCKEY game on the DVR I'm going to watch now.

That'll calm me down.

In it is contentment

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
Boxers already look like they’ve been hit in the face with a shovel.

Might as well oblige the fugger

Lmfao. Funny but true.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry to hear this and I hope your son heals up quickly.

Similar thing happened to my daughter a few years ago, except she was viciously bitten on her forearm by a feral mexican at her school. I raised Hell, but was stonewalled. My concern was that here in EP, the messikans who cross the border daily to attend our schools bring in all kinds of disease. Fortunately, she wasn't infected by some horrible messikan. Not only that but she was very young and I was pissed she had to experience such violence at her age.

Last edited by High_Noon; 10/20/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dog's still alive?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
736 members (10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.