Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I have a very good 6x10 utility trailer but only 1 hitch on the rear. Quite often when the list of stuff is in my pickup bed, my camp trailer is hanging on the rear.

Gotcha

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 30338
Great info 4th point. I have 6 of those clamps on there so far. I think I'll try to get some help and raise it up and then build up the front with more gasket material. Need to haul a lot of diesel and herbicides so will pass on the rug but more gaskets and more clamps may help my water issues.

Mine has the side windows that open up with two handles each. Kind of a must have for me as I use them to latch and unlatch the dog kennels. Probably don't help the waterproofness though.

If you have access to a forklift, or maybe even a tractor with fork attachments, it makes it easy. I think most installation shops just use the foam weather stripping that you can get at home improvement stores. It actually works well, but can shift out of place when you drop the top into place. I've used that foam tape in other applications on work equipment and it's handy. I think it's usually sold as camper tape/seal.

I think Snug uses a bulb seal, which you could also try but I've never used it.

Even with eight clamps, I really had to fiddle around getting one just in the right spot. And the correct amount of clamping force. Once I did that, it never leaked and I never had to make any additional adjustments but it took all eight clamps and there are certain locations that you can't put a clamp due to the design details in the sheet metal.

I've never had those side windows but was really tempted. If they have an aluminum frame around the glass, you can get leaks there. That's where extra sheet metal screws may help. The frame is just screwed together with the seal and glass in between. That's how I fixed the leak in the rear window.

Last edited by 4th_point; 06/30/21.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Gooseneck trailers are hell on toppers.

Mine is only on from oct to April.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Not trying to sound like a smart ass, but I’ve had so many toppers I can’t really remember, but they all leak a little water around door glass at top when trk. Just setting in heavy rain storm, never had any leak around side windows if shut right. But the latest ARE I bought was there top of line, been several years now, cost about 3-k , much more arrow dynamic than 2-k style, no leaks, they will all get dust unless you put the filler strip in tailgate gap when tailgate down.

V
viking Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Revisiting the topper subject…

What’s y’all’s thoughts on the Soft toppers, less than grand.

Easy on/off, fold down. Basically something to keep the dogs in.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 53 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.