Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My yellow lab (avatar picture) has arthritis on her knee and she gets pretty stiff after lying down. Vet suggested some supplements. Been using Dasuquin for almost 4 weeks with minor improvement.

Did some research on Adequan and it sounds almost too good to be true. Talked to my vet and getting a prescription with syringes.

Anybody use it? Outcome?

My girl is 8 and she still has a few good years ahead of her but I want them to be quality. It's killing me to see her get stiff like that because she was always a very athletic dog.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never heard of it but I got a fourteen year old Drathaar that could probably benefit from it.
Now I'm going to talk to my vet but you can bet he'll want to sell me something off his shelf.

Thanks for the post.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My vet has it but also said it would be cheaper online. They are going to show me how to stick and inject her. They want to observe her for any reactions the first couple of weeks.

Dose is 2 per week for 4 weeks then once or twice a month as needed.

Chewy has what I need.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sandy’s 13.5yo and had been on an nsaid for a couple years, but her renal function waned so vet changed her to the adequan regimen, dasuquin and omega fatty acid daily. Was prepared to be disappointed. Can’t say which one ingredient is helping the most, but gratefully she is getting around better now than on the nsaid and her renal function rebounded. She tolerates the injections remarkably well, too - just gave her this month’s a minute ago. Pretty sure, for a little money, this is a good path for her.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Sandy’s 13.5yo and had been on an nsaid for a couple years, but her renal function waned so vet changed her to the adequan regimen, dasuquin and omega fatty acid daily. Was prepared to be disappointed. Can’t say which one ingredient is helping the most, but gratefully she is getting around better now than on the nsaid and her renal function rebounded. She tolerates the injections remarkably well, too - just gave her this month’s a minute ago. Pretty sure, for a little money, this is a good path for her.

Gosh
Did the nsaid cause the renal to go south?

That’s a terrible thought

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Is it dogs or cats that cant have aspirin?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

raisins

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
We did that with a dog 30 years ago when it was a horse therapeutic.

Got a dog now on Rimadyl (generic is carprofen). Does well until a long trip, then needs a dose of gabapentin. Worth a look.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Slummy, you of all people know nsaids are hell on kidneys. Evidently, same in dogs. She’d been on carprofen since an acl repair, the hobbling around after unmasked her hip dysplasia pain, so stayed on.

Little rascal is goin and happy still, so do our best.

Edit: what ironbender said: forgot, she’s on gabapentin, too. At this point, what the hell.

Last edited by sandcritter; 10/19/21.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord

raisins

Except those flying ones that can't get out the picture window.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

From having more than one dog prescribed the NSAIDS Jim, our vets have told us it will screw with their kidneys long term. That includes aspirin as I recall. Was OK to give one of ours a baby aspirin on occasion until she got so bad she needed the carprofen. She was already something like 14 then so I guess it wasn't going to be too long term. Other dog started on it earlier in life, then died from pancreatitis. She was born with pretty bad hips though, so had to start on antiinflammatories earlier in life.

I'm going to look into this Adequan stuff though, as our little female will be 13 this coming Feb and has arthritis starting up in her back for a year or so now.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I bet our guard dogs could benefit Geno.

They are generally wore the fugg out by 5 or 6 at the most.

They come in with the sheep with a noticeable limp quite often.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I bet our guard dogs could benefit Geno.

They are generally wore the fugg out by 5 or 6 at the most.

They come in with the sheep with a noticeable limp quite often.

Thing is, like all of them, they either won't or can't tell you just how bad they're hurting. It's one thing that pisses me off about the dang critters.

Had a dog years ago, big ol tuff dude. Liked to run off to chase the ladies and schidt. Christmas eve one year, I go in to shower, he jumps the 4' chain link fence with the sharp ends up the links pointing up top. I get ready to go, no dog. WTF? Finish up getting ready, head out to driveway, there he is sitting outside the gate. I open gate, he starts to go in, I tell him no get in the car. He jumps in the back seat.

4 miles or so away I hear a little moan back there, turn my head, and the SOB had a cut on his underside and I could see the gutbag. Turns out he sliced it on that fence probably from chest to near his pecker. No wonder he didn't want to go. That was an expensive one for a starving student. And don't get me going on the A-Hole emergency vet that wouldn't take a check from out of the county. Had to get my mom to come with a credit card. It's a wonder I didn't go to jail that day for draggin' his puny ass out and pounding it on in the parking lot. He wouldn't stitch him up unless he was paid in advance.

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bump

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody else have first hand experience with Adequan?

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have seen it work great on some dogs maybe even most that I have used it on. Some dogs not so much but I have seen some dramatic results. Like everything it can be temporary . There are some some off label protocols with it after the initial 4 week treatment . You would need to discuss that with your veterinarian .

Dogdoc

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had amazing results with cbd oil for dogs.

I'm using Petreleaf I buy at Murdochs.
Tried other brands with anywhere from mild to zero results.

My dog has gone from total paralysis of his hips to total hell raiser.
He's been on it four months now.
I was really hesitant to use it after I'd bought it, just wasn't sold on the idea. When it got down to where I had to carry him around, I figured wtf, put the proper dosage on a slice of bacon and the results came within an hour.

It's not curing him, it's just masking the pain but he is enjoying a quality life......for now.

[Linked Image from cleanrun.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Put Dillon, our Boxer, on Glucosamine and Chondroitin years ago.
10 or 11, he is doing great.

It works for me, I figured it would be good for him.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
My yellow lab (avatar picture) has arthritis on her knee and she gets pretty stiff after lying down. Vet suggested some supplements. Been using Dasuquin for almost 4 weeks with minor improvement.

Did some research on Adequan and it sounds almost too good to be true. Talked to my vet and getting a prescription with syringes.

Anybody use it? Outcome?

My girl is 8 and she still has a few good years ahead of her but I want them to be quality. It's killing me to see her get stiff like that because she was always a very athletic dog.

Not familiar with Adequan.

Good friend is a vet and started taking instruction in acupuncture mainly to find an alternative to nsaids for dogs with arthritis.

He worked on my dog a couple times and on me quite a few times. It really did help.

I would suggest looking around for a vet with experience to do some acupuncture treatments to supplement the medication and perhaps lower the meds required to keep your pup in good shape.

Best of luck.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a dog that was really struggling to get up and down the stairs when he was around 10 years old. I don't know if it was hips, arthritis or what.

We started putting glucosomine in food and it was like a miracle drug to him in just a couple of days. It continued to work for about 2 years but it got to the point nothing helped. I would carry him up and down the stairs so he could be with us.

I miss that dog.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,555 guests, and 708 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,520
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.