Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
How do they compare in frame size in the grip area? A Hi Power fits my short fingers perfectly.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm unaware of any 9mm that fits the hand better than a Hi-Power. The CZ-75 fits well too, but is heavier and bulkier IMO. The CZ also has a better out-of the box trigger and a thumb safety that is larger and more useable. Also, it doesn't have a magazine safety and will stand up to +P or +P+ loads.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
In theory, the CZ-75 has the edge, but in my personal experience, not so much. I bought my first CZ-75 back in the early 90s. That gun was a jamomatic. I eventually gave up on it and sold it cheap. I knew that this wasn't typical of the model, though, and bought another about five years ago. Completely reliable, but this one gives me bad "trigger slap." Trigger slap is when the trigger strongly and quickly springs back forward a short distance when the action automatically recocks after firing. This is powerful enough to bruise the pad of your trigger finger, making for painful shooting after just a few mags full.

My understanding is that trigger slap is an occasionally problem with the CZ-75 design, and I just had bad luck in getting one that had that problem, but that was two bad luck incidents in a row with the CZ-75, so as much as I like it in theory, I haven't personally had good luck with it. I've had plenty of Browning Hi Powers going back to the late 1980s, and have never had a problem with any of them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Factory grips on the HP are terrible; and yet it still feels fantastic in your hands.

So if you were to take the same make of grips (pick VZ for instance) and put them on both guns, I think you'll find both guns to be very ergonomic. The CZ has a larger grip circumference, and a longer reach to the trigger in DA mode. I think people with smaller hands would appreciate the HP more, and people with larger hands would absolutely love the feel of a CZ75.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
GG, I have VZ grips on my HP and my FEG HP. Your input was what I was looking for. Thanks to all for your input.
Blessings, Dave

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I have a good bit of time handling, shooting, Frankensteining/repairing both as they are quite common guns in the third world/Middle East. Skipping right to the punchline, I have personally owned nice examples of both and now only own the CZ. You can absolutely make a BHP into a fine shooting gun, but it is going to cost a fair bit of money to update it unless you are a competent smith. CZs are (in my opinion) a much better out of the box pistol, and they should be considering that the BHP is close to a 90 year old design.

There are a substantial amount of top level competition shooters today who use CZ75 based guns and winning major matches. I don't know anyone using a Hi Power.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've only owned an Argentine Hi Power. It worked fine and shot dandy, but I never quite warmed up to it. Springfield's P40 was the first CZ-75 variant I shot much and I definitely liked that one.

ETA- I think it may have been a P9s in 40 caliber

Last edited by SargeMO; 10/13/21.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
How do they compare in frame size in the grip area? A Hi Power fits my short fingers perfectly.

CZ fits my long ones and bony palms much better. Perfectly, I dare say.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I've only owned an Argentine Hi Power. It worked fine and shot dandy, but I never quite warmed up to it. Springfield's P40 was the first CZ-75 variant I shot much and I definitely liked that one.

ETA- I think it may have been a P9s in 40 caliber

I have a Springfield P-9 in .40. It’s the only.40 I have left. Sometimes I shoot IDPA with it. As I understand, the components were made by Tanfoglio in Italy and put together in SA’s shop when Les Baer was running it. In any case, it’s been a good gun for me. I think the current CZ-75-based Tanfoglio pistols are one of the biggest handgun bargains out there right now.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Cra48. The P9s were good looking CZ85 clones that closely followed the original trigger guard profile.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have to remember when talking about the Hi Power that its a Legacy pistol. It wasn't designed for the version of 9mm we shoot today. CZ made metallurgical changes to their slides & frames (B and later) to accommodate 9mm NATO, and FN didn't fully address that issue with the Hi Power. So most (but not all) Hi Powers aren't really compatible with modern NATO pressure rounds.

If you're looking for a pistol that you're going to treat like your lawnmower; a Hi Power probably isn't for you. I wouldn't recommend the CZ75 for that kind of use either.

The Hi Power is in the same category as the 1911; it's an enthusiasts pistol. And enthusiasts know which ammunition is appropriate for their pistol, and they're quite content with the world.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Have 2 75s, a full size Omega and a Cajunized PCR. And 3 HPs.

Love em all.

Trigger reach is much shorter in the HPs.

The reach on the Omega trigger models is longer than my HPs but shorter than the standard 75B.

The best trigger of the 5 is an Israeli surplus BHP that was rebuilt with a BHP Spring solutions spring kit. It’s even better than the Cajunized PCR.

The PCR is my occasional carry gun and defensive go to. But love my BHPs and will never part with them.

Last edited by Paul_C; 10/14/21.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The 75 is larger. I wear XL gloves and found the CZ fit my hand real well. The HP was a little small, so that the hammer spur tapped my hand with every shot, just enough to annoy.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Getting older, I've sold off a lot of handguns. I've had some great Hi Powers: Browning, Fabrique National, and the FEG 9HP (PJK) - but I let them go.
I also sold my Beretta 92FS, INOX, Brigadier, 9MM. A great pistol - that I would more-so compare to a CZ 75 or CZ 85, as regards size, ergonomics, etc.

I also still have all my CZ pistols. Not the legendary 75 but some 85 versions (with ambi-controls) which are otherwise identical to the CZ 75
Two of my 85 versions are the CZ 85 'Combat' model without the later 'B' designation which means 'Firing Pin Block'. The Combat version also has
an adjustable trigger and adjustable rear target sight. My Combat versions are a standard black poly-cote, and a rare glossy blued model. Both 9MM.

I recently bought a used CZ 85 that I thought would be my 3rd Combat model - but It turned out to be an early rare CZ 85 variant with
adjustable trigger and adjustable rear sights.

I don't find much comparison to the, CZ 75 vs, the Hi Power.. I like them both - but find them 'different' in size, feel, & whatever else I can imagine.
Shooting either.one though, feels perfect for what it is, and performs perfectly the way it's designed to do.

When I got into CZs, a long time ago, the CZ 75 was mostly compared to the legendary SIG 210 Pistol - Both full-size 9MM pistols have the slide running
inside of the frame rails I thought it a great comlpliment to the CZ 75, comparing it to the legendary Sig 210. Two years ago I acquired a new Sig 210
Target pistol 9MM - an old dream come true - but I haven't taken it out much. or compared it to my CZ.

The CZ 75 compared to the Beretta 92? - I can't find much difference. They're close in size, weight, etc. and both are accurate and of quality...
But the way my new/old CZ has been shooting - I'll give the nod to CZ. - Some friends also got to shot this pistol and were more than impressed.

As for my shooting it? - I was more suprised!

CZ 40P / CZ 40B / CZ 85 Combat / CZ 85 Combat Glossy Blue / CZ 85 Var I

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by GunGeek
You have to remember when talking about the Hi Power that its a Legacy pistol. It wasn't designed for the version of 9mm we shoot today. CZ made metallurgical changes to their slides & frames (B and later) to accommodate 9mm NATO, and FN didn't fully address that issue with the Hi Power. So most (but not all) Hi Powers aren't really compatible with modern NATO pressure rounds.

If you're looking for a pistol that you're going to treat like your lawnmower; a Hi Power probably isn't for you. I wouldn't recommend the CZ75 for that kind of use either.

The Hi Power is in the same category as the 1911; it's an enthusiasts pistol. And enthusiasts know which ammunition is appropriate for their pistol, and they're quite content with the world.

This^^^^
I have only T series BHP's. They are the only 9mm pistols I have. I am perfectly happy shooting standard pressure 115gr. bullets. All shoot well except for the old style Gold Dots. No need for +P loads.

The Marlin 9mm Camp Carbine teamed up with Grandkids keeps me busy loading. So I bought a few cases of 9mm NATO for them to shoot. Won't shoot those in my old BHP's.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
New Springfield looks very nice. I really hope the market is there to support that decision. Good looking Hi Power though.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,854 guests, and 1,415 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.