Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I have seen videos and conversation about Chris Reeve's knives in a variety of other places but can't recall ever seeing them mentioned here. I finally got my first one a few days ago....the Umnumzaan. This one is an S35VN version. I didn't check the "birthdate" on this one but I know their new production stuff is being made with S45VN now.

Out of the box, these things are tight and stiff. Simple design, easy to breakdown and maintain which is something I appreciate. I regularly carry my knives surf fishing and enjoy simple designs that are easy to disassemble and maintain. This knife has the largest pivot bushing and washers I have seen in any of my other folders (mostly Spyderco and Benchmade). Trying to get things to smooth up a little, I disassembled, removed the grease it comes lubed with and oiled everything with Blue Lube. That really made a difference and it seems to be smoothing out and breaking in a bit better now.

I am still fidgeting with it, trying to firm up my opinions on it. Anyone here ever messed with any of Chris Reeve's folders?

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Sebenza first got me into liner locks. I really enjoyed carrying it for several years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like sebenzas too. Bought a real good friend one...was a long story...he dropped i squirrel hunting and found it two seasons later with no rust and still sharp. He brags on it often.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I gave buying a Sebenza a half serious thought a few months ago and just didn't get excited enough to follow through.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
A large Sebenza was on my short list...that or a an Umnumzaan. When I decided to buy, I couldn't find a Sebenza in stock so I went the other route. I may end up with a Sebenza one day, or I may not. Going to play with this one a bit before I cross that bridge.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have carried a small sebenza everday for about 10yrs. It's no queen for sure. It gets used to open boxes, strip wire, whatever is needed a the time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Mnandi. It's a gentlemanly looking knife I carry when dressed up. I bought the knife after touring Chris's manufacturing facility in Boise Idaho. Mine is like the one shown in the attached link but with snakewood scales. I did return it for repair after the liner locking mechanism began failing to lock up, it was repaired promptly and free of charge.
https://chrisreeve.com/collections/knives/products/mnandi-macassar-ebony

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am rethinking a Sebenza now. I am retiring soon and a Sebenza might make a nice gift to myself that I would carry and use daily. There are some 31"s with box elder burl inlays that catch my eye. Large or small is the question...?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
I am rethinking a Sebenza now. I am retiring soon and a Sebenza might make a nice gift to myself that I would carry and use daily. There are some 31"s with box elder burl inlays that catch my eye. Large or small is the question...?

Of course one of each size is the ideal solution but then they are costly.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And hard to find evidently...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
And hard to find evidently...

You may order factory direct. https://chrisreeve.com/collections/knives

Last edited by Boise; 10/25/21.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sure can... 24 - 28 month wait times.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have Sebenzas from an original in ATS34 through BG42 through Classics, 21s, 31s in 30V, 35VN, 45VN...
I think Chris' invention of the Framelock ranks right up there with Walker's Linerlock.
Since I choose to live where I don't need to GAF about sheeple I generally carry matching fixed and folding EDCs.
Bob Dozier made me this little fixed blade to go with this small Classic Micarta that's been my most carried EDC pair the last decade or so:

[Linked Image]

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice combo!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Very nice pair, journeyman

I have both a small and large sebenza and while I don't plan on getting rid of the large one the small one gets almost all of the pocket time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I have Sebenzas from an original in ATS34 through BG42 through Classics, 21s, 31s in 30V, 35VN, 45VN...
I think Chris' invention of the Framelock ranks right up there with Walker's Linerlock.
Since I choose to live where I don't need to GAF about sheeple I generally carry matching fixed and folding EDCs.
Bob Dozier made me this little fixed blade to go with this small Classic Micarta that's been my most carried EDC pair the last decade or so:

[Linked Image]

jJust how are you able to carry knives for a decade and have them still looking new. I carry one for a year and it looks like it's been dragged behind a bus.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Boise
Originally Posted by Journeyman

[Linked Image]

jJust how are you able to carry knives for a decade and have them still looking new. I carry one for a year and it looks like it's been dragged behind a bus.

The best way I've found to post pics of knives that look like new is to post pics of when they were new...

That pic is 13-1/2 years old.

"Bobenza" Thread

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Journeyman, thanks for taking the time to post, it explains a whole lot of other posts I see of old knives in pristine condition.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Small Sebenza is my favorite whitetail field dressing knife. It has its own nylon sheath and I've sewn a separate knife only pocket into my pack for it. I really like the size, lock up, open easy to clean utilitarian functionality of that knife. Once I used a Schmidt & Ziegler stock knife for hunting that my late little sister had given me when we were just kids. Then one year I thought that I'd lost it and backtracked my every move that hunting season. It was then I realized that it was irreplaceable. I found it under the seat in the truck and it hasn't gone out hunting since. Don't use what you can't replace and take good care of the stuff you can.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10Glocks, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 54 invisible), 2,613 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,772
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.