Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks.

45lbs is pretty dang tight. I’ll order the spring, and hope it gets here before I get to the range.

Not a huge believer in the need for any specific torque for most rifle action screws, just enough to hold stuff together while not bending anything, with floated barrels anyway.

BTW, FWIW I read today that the carbon barrels are hammer-forged, SS is button-rifled.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

I called Win they told me 45 in lb on the action screws for my FWT and the Ernie the Gunsmith springs are a big help.

Interesting the Owners manual says 35 in lb. page 24.

Last edited by bushrat; 10/16/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bushrat
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

I called Win they told me 45 in lb on the action screws for my FWT and the Ernie the Gunsmith springs are a big help.

Interesting the Owners manual says 35 in lb. page 24.

By golly, you’re right, except it’s page 23 in the PDF.

Thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Pappy348
BTW, FWIW I read today that the carbon barrels are hammer-forged, SS is button-rifled.

Source?
Not discounting, just curious.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
I have just ONE M70 with the MOA trigger - obtained merely for inspection and critiquing, but have never fired it and it will be the very next one sold; hopefully within the month..

What is it?

Last edited by tzone; 10/16/21.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Source?
Not discounting, just curious.

Couldn’t remember where I saw it, so I went back over what I’d read. It’s in the online manual on page 11, BUT the website page below says they’re all button-rifled, perhaps since they went with Bergara barrels.

Discount all you want. I’m often mistaken, occasionally forgetful, and sometimes just FOS😜

https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-70.html

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
7 pounds 14.4 ounces

[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?
M
M
I have two Portugal Extreme Weathers, bought one and was so impressed had to have a second. First was. 7mm08, then picked up a donor (30-06) for a 9.3x62mm build.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
7 pounds 14.4 ounces

[Linked Image]

You have breached Campfire etiquette and you dang well know it. Details! Details! laugh

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s a .308.

Brake replaced by included cap.

Warne bases

In the pic, the rings are Warne Mountain Tech, but something didn’t line up quite right, so I replaced them with Signature Zees I had in my Box-o-Junk. Gonna take another swing at it today, using some on-hand handloads.

Scope is a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 with the excellent duplex and green dot.

Not sure if it’ll make it in the woods, as several others are ahead of it in the queue, all unbloodied. A light trigger spring is on its way. The plan is to work up some fast-movers using 130gr TTSXs, reportedly very deadly, but I have a bunch of others, mostly courtesy of SPS. The abundance of .308 stuff on hand is actually why this thing came to live here, as I certainly didn’t need another rifle. Figured if I was going to get one, might as well get a pretty nice one to burn up all those components. Good thing about a .308 is long barrel life, especially when you load it like a .300 Savage/.30/40/.303/.30 WCF.

The twist is only 1-12”, so really long ones won’t spin. Don't have any of those anyway.

Might set it up with a backup optic like a small prism a la rj308. That will require new rings, as the Zees are a PITA to remove and replace.

Last edited by Pappy348; 10/20/21.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks, Pappy. Didn't you just pick that up?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Friday

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Cool. Since that is one of the new ones, would you mind answering a question? The barrel is listed as 22 inches, I believe. Is that with the break or with the protector in its place?

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Does anyone make a different trigger for the MOA'd M70s. I think it is a decent trigger when compared to other factory triggers I have felt until I get back to my pre64s and Classic M70 that had the triggers worked on. They felt better before being worked on than the MOA.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had at least 25 CT Made Classic Stainless M70's going back since they came out in the early 90's - I currently have two. I've had several SC made BACO M70's with the MOA trigger, and had no problem getting those tuned with the Ernie's Trigger Spring. Currently I have a PT made M70 EW in 6.5 CM. Picked it up a year ago, but haven't shot it yet. I expect good things, and it's definitely more finely made than any CT made M70. I've adjusted my thinking...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The EW are the cream of the crop right now IMO. They're a fine piece of machinery.

I do love my .280 Rem FWT. The action gets better and better (smooth) every use. It's like glass now. I've done nothing to it but put a scope and rings on it.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RevMike
Cool. Since that is one of the new ones, would you mind answering a question? The barrel is listed as 22 inches, I believe. Is that with the break or with the protector in its place?

Must be with the brake, I measured with the cap, and it’s 21” to the actual end of the barrel, which is recessed just a bit. The brake I removed and carefully placed in a safe place for eventual loss, lest I be tempted to actually use it someday.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RevMike

Must be with the brake, I measured with the cap, and it’s 21” to the actual end of the barrel, which is recessed just a bit. The brake I removed and carefully placed in a safe place for eventual loss, lest I be tempted to actually use it someday.

The barrel length is measured from the center of the gas port to the muzzle, not from the front of the receiver to the muzzle.

Most m70 barrels listed as 22" are 21-7/8"...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Does anyone make a different trigger for the MOA'd M70s.

Timney makes an MOA trigger. I bought one and couldn't handle the flat trigger shoe - different from any other Timney I've had (M77 and M700). WTF? Went back to the MOA. I need to put in an Ernie spring this off-season.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by beretzs
I grabbed one of the Supergrades recently. Not a bad gun so. Took a bit to scratch all of the crap outta the trigger weight screw but I milked it down to about 3lbs. So far I only shot the first 20 factory ammo through it.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Once I get some empty brass I’ll see what it does with hand loads. I was kinda hoping it’d like the factory 143’s a bit more.

Exceptional wood.

DF

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (02bfishn, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 16penny, 63 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,460
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.