Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from cdn.globalauctionplatform.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They were the machine of choice around here when I was too young to know the difference. In 1959 dad bought a Gleaner "A " self propelled. Spent alot of time on that one growing up

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My father and grandfather had one of the AC pull types that had the bagger instead of the bin. When I was just a kid, I'd ride it and watch the bags filling up, when they got full, I'd yell for my dad to stop, and he's come and tie the bags. Later on I got older and learned to tie them. My father did a lot of custom combining with it, as there weren't many in this part of the country.

What's left of it is still sitting in a woods on the back side of the farm.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Used one for the guy I was working for back in the 60s.
Lot smaller head than used today for sure.
Luckily the fields were not much there and then either.

Last edited by LouisB; 10/16/21.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I started working for an Allis Chalmers dealership in 1976. Worked on a few Gleaner E combines, but never a pull behind.

Just thinking about the bean dust yet...makes me itch!

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
If I remember correctly, the combine had to "eat", the straw from two windrow on the third round.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Those were great combines
My great grandad had an grain elevator and sold them to farmers and took grain for payment
They are still the best machine for small seed crops
A guy I know hobby farms small lots in a small town in KS he uses all vintage AC equipment the guys at the Eli after say the soybeans look like seed beans they are so clean out of the Ac pull type.
There is a self propelled version on an old farmstead near here. Wasn’t that old when the farmer suddenly died
His wife moved Bach home to Missouri and never bothered with a sale just left it all

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
At one time, my part of the country grew a lot of lespedeza. It makes good hay, and will tolerate growing conditions that a lot of other plants won't. Combining the seed was a pretty good money maker, and those old AC pull combines were the best there was for that.

The usual practice on our farm when I was growing up was for my father to do most of the tractor work, and my grandfather to do the other jobs. They were going to combine some lespedeza seed, and my grandpa decided to not wait for my dad to get back home and do it. It was a cool October day, and somehow he choked the combine up, got off the tractor with the PTO running, and got tangled up in it. Two things saved his life......he had on a couple of layers of clothes because of the cool weather, and the tractor was idling, which led to the engine bogging down and dying, mostly from all those clothes it pulled off him. He was in a field that was separated from a neighbors house by a woods lot. Fortunately, the neighbor happened to hear him calling out for help. My grandfather suffered some broken ribs and bruises, and a good chewing out from my father.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I can't remember the make,bu the combined we used had a sacker, .While one sack was filling,you tied off the other and placed a new sack on the chute. and dumped the filled sack it over the side to the f ground. When the other sack was filled, pulled the a lever and it directed the grain to the new sack.
When done,we unhitched the combine, hitched up the flatbed trailer and went around to pick up all the filled sacks.

Bucking those sacks was about as hard as bucking hay bales

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I can't remember the make,bu the combined we used had a sacker, .While one sack was filling,you tied off the other and placed a new sack on the chute. and dumped the filled sack it over the side to the f ground. When the other sack was filled, pulled the a lever and it directed the grain to the new sack.
When done,we unhitched the combine, hitched up the flatbed trailer and went around to pick up all the filled sacks.

Bucking those sacks was about as hard as bucking hay bales

Never saw anything like you're talking about, but at least a hay bale has string or wire 'handles' to help pick it up. Sacks dont!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Oldman03

Never saw anything like you're talking about, but at least a hay bale has string or wire 'handles' to help pick it up. Sacks dont!

This was back in the 50's.The combine was yellow as I recall and was driven by the International H tractor PTO.There wasn't many combines around and we did some custom work for neighbors.After picking up the sacks ,we hauled them into the barn an dumped them into big wooden bin, then went out and filled more sacks. We had our own small hammer mill that was driven by belt off the tractor fly wheel. In later years a truck came out from the feed store and ground/mixed the feed along with molasses We only grew oats and a little barley for dairy cow grain that was ground and mixed with corn. The baler might have been an International too. Can't remember if it was gas driven or PTO.I think PTO because we only ever bought gas for the tractor

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When I was growing up, I started on an "A" Gleaner, we had two of them. Then moved up to a "C", then an "L"...but an old timer neighbor used a combine just like that in the picture until the day he died. Hauled all his grain to town in an old Chevy pickup with side boards on it.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Ole_270
They were the machine of choice around here when I was too young to know the difference. In 1959 dad bought a Gleaner "A " self propelled. Spent alot of time on that one growing up

I think that’s what my dad had in west central Ks in the 50s/60s. It had a 12 or 14 foot header.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saddlesore,
My dad used to tell of rigjng one and running the bags.

Picking up full burlap sack of wheat would suck.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
How we're a member the old A/C pull types model 60 and 66 I believe. I bought a Model 60 I'm pretty sure , my sophomore year in high school hold it with an old Ford Jubilee golden jubilee that is. Paid for the first couple days combining Fescue seed. But of course dad was putting the fuel Bill and Hauling so that help pay it off faster. Then had an A/C Gleaner A II I believe it was was the first "big" combine I ever had.
OP's pic was a model 66 I believe

Last edited by ldholton; 10/20/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
713 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 77 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.