Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hawkeye;
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Indeed your experience with the magazine disconnect twigged a memory that had been misplaced until I read your post.

Way, way back in the dinosaur times, a family member had an Inglis Browning - complete with the ladder rear sight and slot for the wooden butt stock/holster - which he didn't have.

Anyways one fine winter day when we had time on our hands we decided to pull the mag disconnect out of the trigger and while we did get it back together, it wasn't as easy as we'd thought it'd be.

Again it was the first time we'd done it and as it turned out the only time for me, and it was likely about 40 years ago too now that I put some math to it all. It's been a wonderful ride in the interim, but somehow faster than I'd anticipated.

All the best again.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kenster99
Love the HiPowers, bought one new in the early 90 's I guess, bought the two tone. Most reliable auto I have ever had, and accurate too. Going to look for the blued model, passed on one last year for a great price, think the guy still has it.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I had the same one ...I sold it ....why damit....😪

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeebus, the Gunbroker prices are crazy. I’m guessing I won’t get one.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SandBilly

Broke Dick !

😝🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Again it was the first time we'd done it and as it turned out the only time for me, and it was likely about 40 years ago too now that I put some math to it all. It's been a wonderful ride in the interim, but somehow faster than I'd anticipated.

All the best again.

Dwayne

I know exactly what you mean. grin

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I meant to remark on something someone said, but just forgot, so I'll do it here. Someone commented that the newer Hi-Powers were manufactured in Portugal and assembled in Belgium. It's actually the opposite. The parts were manufactured in Belgium and assembled in Portugal.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I just lined it up with my Glock 19. The grip frame is exactly the same length on both guns.

The grip frame being Glock 19 length makes for good IWB concealed carry characteristics. It happens to fit nicely in the El Paso Saddlery C-Force holster I carry my Glock 19 in, too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I just lined it up with my Glock 19. The grip frame is exactly the same length on both guns.

The grip frame being Glock 19 length makes for good IWB concealed carry characteristics. It happens to fit nicely in the El Paso Saddlery C-Force holster I carry my Glock 19 in, too.

Hmmm. Interesting.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by SandBilly

Broke Dick !

😝🦫

Can't just be looking at Gunbroker. Prices there are typically over the top. I bought mine unfired in the box in a local gun shop that I like a lot for $1100.

For example. This is my exact gun.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/912714938

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WoooH-Wee, that’s a spendy, but Beautiful Hi-Power.

Glad you got yours for a lot less.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I had forgotten how much I liked it, and how well it shot. There's something about it, despite not having the best trigger of its type, that allows for great precision. Something about the geometry, the way the backstrap fits the palm, the way the trigger seems to break straight back. Not sure what, but it's easy to put them where you want them.

I feel the same way - I don't know what it is but it feels near perfect. Overall fit, balance, etc.

I have one Belgian, from 1974 and it's almost too pretty to shoot. I wish I had a purchased a second shooter grade Hi Power when prices were reasonable.

Everyone should have a least one in their collection.

Beautiful specimen you have there. Mine has the beer can rear sight.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have an ancient Canadian Inglis That I'm really attached to.
It's a shooter,plus with the ladder sights I can shoot 500 meters. grin

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Long overdue.

[Linked Image]

I've been in and out of Browning Hi Powers going back to the late 1980s. My first was a Mk III, purchased down in Ft. Lauderdale.

I first discovered the Hi Power when I went shooting with a friend and his old college buddy, who brought along his old Belgian Browning Hi Power to shoot with us. I can't even recall what my friend and I brought to the range that day. I was too enamored with the Hi Power to pay much attention to that. I fell in love with that Hi Power. So classic and cool, and shot great. Within days, I went to the gun shop and bought one.

Not realizing you could still (in the late 1980s) buy one with the more classic features, I bought the one they had in stock, which was the Mk III, which had a dullish matte black finish, with black plastic grips and a more modern style safety, instead of polished blue steel with wood grips, and the old fashioned style safety like my friend's old buddy had at the range.

Years later, I got into some older Belgian Browning Hi Powers, but by the time I moved back to Florida around 2002, I had sold all of them. A few years before Browning discontinued it, however, I had decided I needed to remedy this missing spot in my collection, and bought a new one (just luck. I didn't know they were about to discontinue them). I only wanted one with the classic look, polished blued steel, and checkered wood grips, and that's what I got, or at least the closest to that they still offered (it had the modern safety and more modern style sights). But it satisfied my itch for a classic Hi Power. I shot it a bunch at first, but it's been in the safe pretty much the whole time since then till today.

[Linked Image]

I had forgotten how much I liked it, and how well it shot. There's something about it, despite not having the best trigger of its type, that allows for great precision. Something about the geometry, the way the backstrap fits the palm, the way the trigger seems to break straight back. Not sure what, but it's easy to put them where you want them.

Here's a pretty careful ten yard, off hand, group.

[Linked Image]

Without the flyer up top, that's a two inch group. The human silhouette target is half sized.

I put the target frame back to 15 yards, and took some faster off hand shots (I think that's two mags full).

[Linked Image]

I shot 150 rounds total (which went way too fast), and function was flawless, as expected.

I will definitely not allow so much time to pass before taking it to the range again.

I approve this message. Beautiful HP!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
WoooH-Wee, that’s a spendy, but Beautiful Hi-Power.

Glad you got yours for a lot less.

🦫

Thanks, Beav.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I had one. It was factory chrome. I liked its magazine capacity but never shot it as well as a 1911.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Put some Spegel Grips on it. Much slimmer. Completely different feel in the hand.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
TRH, that looks sweet!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
as to that magazine disconnect, you tube is your friend, number of video's on how to do ti.
i did three or four of them last fall using youtube, it isn't rocket science.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
TRH, that looks sweet!

Thanks. I think the Spegels really ups the looks, and I thought it looked great before. Feels better in the hand, too.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
as to that magazine disconnect, you tube is your friend, number of video's on how to do ti.
i did three or four of them last fall using youtube, it isn't rocket science.

I watched a couple of YouTube videos on it, tried it, and ran into problems. Took it to a gunsmith and he said you have to remove the trigger to remove the disconnector, which contradicted the videos. Anyway, he did it for me, and charged me twenty-five fricken dollars. mad Huge improvement in the trigger pull, though. About two pounds lighter break, and all the grittiness in the take up disappeared. It's an awesome trigger now.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
795 members (10gaugemag, 163bc, 12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 78 invisible), 3,204 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,709
Posts18,400,156
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.